Chevrier snaps up NFL chance

By IAN BUSBY, SUN MEDIA

Chevy is hoping to truck his long-snapping abilities to the NFL.

The Calgary Stampeders and veteran long-snapper/defensive lineman Randy Chevrier parted ways yesterday in a mutual agreement to allow the player a chance at signing with a U.S. team.

"I proved over my time with the Stamps I was, I think, the best in the league," said Chevrier, who announced the situation on his Fan 960 radio show.

"I had an entire year with a broken thumb, and I went flawless (in 2006). Last year was another good season. That helps my chances down south."

Chevrier spent three seasons in Calgary and was reliable in snapping for kicker Sandro DeAngelis and punters Burke Dales and Duncan O'Mahony.

But last spring, the Stamps drafted Pat MacDonald out of the University of Alberta to be his eventual replacement.

At age 31, Chevrier is at the top of his game and felt this was a good time to explore some NFL options. He has hired an American agent.

"I knew Pat was my competition and possibly my replacement," Chevrier said. "But I'm not dead yet. I'm not on my way out as far as that's concerned. Pat proved he's a good young player and will be good in the future. But I'm still on top of my game."

Chevrier has given the Stamps first right of refusal if nothing has happened by April and he returns to the CFL.

A few NFL teams have already made contact with Chevrier's agent, but he is looking for the right situation where there is an opening for the job. The majority of NFL teams don't carry a backup long-snapper.

Along with the radio show he hosts with former teammate Sheldon Napastuk, he also writes a weekly column for the Sun.

He's 31.... I dont think he will be too successful, but that just my opinion lol

I think Chevrier had a try out in the NFL back when he came out of college. Maybe he's better now.
The thing I like about him is that he's good enough to play some DT besides long snapping.
A minimum NFL salary would probably make him about 4-5 times his CFL salary.

Good luck to him.

What's the average age of a snapper? If he's 31 already, I'd imagine he probably only has a few years left. Only a few people can pull off the Brett Favre. :lol:

The Calgary Stampeders and veteran long-snapper/defensive lineman Randy Chevrier parted ways yesterday in a mutual agreement to allow the player a chance at signing with a U.S. team.
Hmm... another one who didn't honour his contract , 05. How come you aren't flaming him like you did to Kent Austin? I guess its the only the Riders that shouldn't allow their people out of their contracts , eh, 05? :roll: :roll:
:lol: :lol: Sambo your riot are you not. I guess the CFL should look into removing the option year in the contracts. You do know about that do you not or your shock of losing your coach is starting to show. :lol: :lol: :lol:

The option year, and the clause that allows a player in his option year the right to test the NFL market is a standard clause in the CFL contract.

That has nothing to do with Chevrier.

What the Stampeders have done in this instance, is allow a player who is not in his option year to try out in the NFL, ie., they have cut/released him from his contract.
It is very similar to what the Riders did for Kent Austin.
The only difference is, Austin already had an offer and he was allowed to pursue it, while Chevrier does not.
And the Stamps will likely get him back as there won't be much demand for a 31 year old long snapper in the NFL.
But no matter how you slice it, the Stamps had someone under contract and they let him walk away from that obligation.
Chevrier is now a free agent who has "promised" to give the Stamps the first opportunity to sign him if the NFL deal falls through.
But he is not obligated by any written contract to do so.

If Chevrier was his in option year, the words "mutual agreement" to part ways. Maybe 05, you should do your homework before you post. He was let out of his contract, much like Austin and Burke were. Option means either side can exercise that option, so unless did just that, he is free to sign wherever he wants to, but the fact it was a mutual agreement means that the option was NOT there.

The mutual agreement is that if Randy does not make it he comes back. Hmm did Austin make this type of agreement. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: The loss of Austin has really effected you considerably. Thats okay Sambo the crying towel you carry with you can be put in the dryer.

Slice it any way you want, 05, he was under contract and allowed to leave. Just like Burke and Austin. Those crying towels must be reworked from the last two Western semi's, eh , 05?

Good point Sambo but as you know there glaring differences in all those examples.
Let me point them out to you.

1)The chev- player on his option year the cfl allows players to seek employment in the NFL on their third year. The two sides the Stamps and player have agreed that he go try his luck and if it fails he comes back to the Stamps. Pretty much different then the Austin case I believe there are not ifs orbuts about it Austin is gone.
2)Tim Burke- Linebacker coach minor role in coaching the defense had a contract but again had no contract up until the stamps offered him a job after he failed to secure the DC position. He is a good coach did an admirable job but the ink was barely dry when the the Als came calling. The Stamps at this point did not care if he took the job or not because they let him go to the Als.
3)Kent Austin a year ago came to Regina smiling away because he was billed the guy to take them to the next step now he wanted security so he sigend a three year deal. Keep that number in memory you will need it further. He did the job by bringing the GC to Regina. But the dglaring difference is that he is the HC coach the guy that puts everything together to become a championship team. Not a player, not a linebacker coach but a Head Coach. Memory is obligation 3 years remember that one. His best friend Eric Tillman GM lets him go for the interview (friendship allows this) and he gets the job. Lets summarize this:

1. Austin- HC 3 year obligation won a GC game first year HC lets not mention this is the second time he has done it to the very same team. Best friend lets him out of his obligation.
  2. Tim Burke- Linebacker coach was last momment addition to the Stamps coaching ranks was offered a better position with the Als. Permission granted. This would be much different had this been close to the start of the season then a replacement might not be easily found.
  3. Chev- Player on his third year of his contract. The third year being his option year mutally agreed with Stamp managment he try his luck and if by April he does not make a squad he would return as a Stamp.

No Sambo ready all three scenarios and tell me the differences. The only thing that are common is they were all under a contract. Let out of them but there are differences in importance to their respective teams.
Questions:
Which one of the three will be harder to replace?
Which one of the threee will have a greater impact once they have left?

If you can answer those questions honestly you will now get the difference.

No Sambo ready all three scenarios and tell me the differences. The only thing that are common is they were all under a contract. Let out of them but there are differences in importance to their respective teams. Questions: Which one of the three will be harder to replace? Which one of the threee will have a greater impact once they have left?

If you can answer those questions honestly you will now get the difference.

The common thread here is, "they were all under contract".
You were the one who made a big stink about Austin being released from his contract.
Nobody else cares and we all understand that people are released from contracts all the time.
There simoply is nothing unusual about that.
I love the big deal you are making about the friendship between ET and Kent.
Fact is, if they were not friends, Kent never gets hired in the first place.

As for who is more important, coaches are a dime a dozen.
We've had tons of good coaches in Saskatchewan.
And we will have a good one as our head coach in 2008.
So I don't see any of your three choices having much impact.
Not that that is a factor when considering the "morality" of abiding by ones contract which you tried desparately to do with Austin, but want to ignore for any and all Stampeders.
But if I had to pick one of the 3, I'd say talent, ie., players, are harder to replace than coaches, so I'll take door number 3 Monty...