Chess: It's a Sport and it's back

Good guess but no. If you do that, Black’s Queen takes White’s Bishop, and White Knight is STILL under attack - according to Fritz 14, your move leaves Black UP the equivalent of 1 Pawn.

White has a MUCH better move.

Give it some thought. I am off to bed. Again, no cheating. :slight_smile:

Have a nice night, my friend. :slight_smile:

after the bishop/knight exchange, there is now only one knight protecting that pawn and white can take that pawn protected for the moment by rook

That’s fair but it doesn’t work because after Pawn(f4) takes Pawn(e5)…

…Black’s Queen takes the Knight on d4 with a Check…

… and White can NOT take the Black Queen with the Pawn on c3…

…because Black’s rook is waiting on c8…

… and White will be down a Knight when it’s all said and done…

Again, Bishop takes Knight is NOT White’s best move.

I am off to bed. :slight_smile: NO cheating. :wink:

ok, second try. knight takes pawn. black pawn takes knight. queen takes black knight, check. king moves over. remaining white knight moves up to the right. Next move depends on blacks move.

I would retreat the threatened knight to f3 and block the black pawn if the black pawn takes white pawn and I would move knight from g3 to h5. In one move black king can be in check. As soon as possible move white rook to a4 thereby preventing black from moving it’s knight from in front of queen.

Oh yeah, how do you cheat, Kev ?.. Is there somewhere online to set up this scenario ? I guess only cheaters would bother with that. Head shake.

A person could easily type the position into a Chess Engine and it would spit out the best move.

I didn’t mean to attack anyone’s character.

That is correct…

White sacrifices the Knight on e6…

…Black is forced to take the Knight with the f7 pawn or lose his Queen…

… then the Queen picks up the Knight on g6 with a Check…

Black is forced to play the King to f8…

and White plays f4 takes e5, threatening to move the Rook to f1 with the Check…

Anyway, after the first move of Knight takes e6, Fritz 14 has White ahead by the equivalent of 5 pawns and that is the best move. :slight_smile:

I never thought you were attacking anyone’s character. It’s just that if I did know how to cheat at this, I still wouldn’t. Funny how when you don’t think that way, everything is simpler.

I can’t put those nice blue arrows in my answer. Sure wish I could.

Go here…

http://www.jinchess.com/chessboard/composer/

Add arrows using Markings.

PM me if you have any questions. :slight_smile:

One last one for this week...

My game versus a player in Arizona. Kevin/White mates in 5...

In the actual game, I Mated in 4.

Thanks for the link Kevin but it's above me. I will work at it though. I will be asking for help. For now, I'll just look at your board.

Fair enough. :slight_smile:

I am off for a swim and lunch with my friends. :slight_smile:

OK… wP e4 to e5
wQ d6 to f6
wR d1 to d6
w Q f6 to g6- checkmate

I see, just don’t let black make any moves :slight_smile:

Show me moves that black could make in my scenario that would make any difference.

FYB is right, Danny-My-Boy.

You have to include Black’s moves as well - and you have to assume Black makes the best moves possible.

In your case :

If White plays e4 to e5, black will play Qf8, and it is no longer Mate in 5 (now 4).

If White plays e4 to e5, black will play Qf8, and it is no longer Mate in 5 (now 4).

According the Fritz14…

• White e4 to e5,
  • Black Qd8 to Qf8,

prevents WQ to f6, and leaves White up 1.38 pawns / a forced Mate is no longer possible.

There is a forced combination of moves that Mates in 5.

Now you went and hurt my feelings. I haven’t played in so long I’m still figuring out the alphanumeric placings.
Seriously, i didn’t see anything that black could do. My fault. I will try to do better. Just quit picking on me. I can’t take it.

Yikes, buddy. That was not my intention. Sorry!

As for your moves, I will break them down below…