charle taafe got hired at U Central Florida

Brandon Helwig
UCFSports.com Publisher

Talk about it in The Dungeon - Knights Only
For the first time in five years, UCF has a new offensive coordinator.

Charlie Taaffe, a veteran of the college and professional ranks, has been tapped by head coach George O'Leary to take over an offense that saw its share of struggles this past season. The former Maryland offensive coordinator and two-time Canadian Football League Coach of the Year will also tutor the Knights' quarterbacks.

Hamilton TiCats

Charlie Taaffe brings years of offensive experience to UCF.
O'Leary confirmed the hire and other offensive staff changes to the Florida Today, which reported the moves in their Saturday edition.

Tim Salem, who had served as offensive coordinator since O'Leary's arrival in 2004, will now oversee the tight ends and move into the role of special teams coordinator.

George Godsey, formerly the quarterbacks coach, takes over Salem's previous assignment as running backs coach.

Brent Key is now in charge of the offensive line after previously serving as tight ends coach and special teams coordinator. Former offensive line coach Tom Freeman is no longer with the program.

Taaffe, 58, helped Ralph Friedgen turn around the Maryland program as offensive coordinator from 2001-05. His most recent stint came as head coach of the CFL's Hamilton TigerCats where he was recently fired in his second year with the franchise. Before he went to Maryland, Taaffe had a highly successful run as head coach of the Montreal Allouettes from 1999-2000.

He is also the winningest coach in the history of The Citadel, spending 10 years at the school from 1987-96. He won the Eddie Robinson Award in 1992 after leading the Bulldogs to an 11-2 record.

Taaffe, who had been in the running for the head coaching position at Army, is expected to arrive on campus in time for the Jan. 9 recruiting weekend.

UCF, God help you.

LMAO…

I was going to say they were in my prayers, but yours is better. :smiley:

maybe Cedric Gagne-Marcoux put in a good word for him

I hope Coach Taaffe does well, now I will be interested to see how U of Florida dose next season. :thup:

Good for Charile ...
Knew get another job .,..

Congratulations to Charlie. I'm glad for him and hope it works out well.

Wishing Charlie all the best in his new position.

Good luck to Charlie at Central Florida. No hard feelings. Just not the right fit here in the Hammer. Hope he is able to deal with UCF's "culture of losing".

4 and 8 is a good record for Charlie’s recent past!

Charlie's done some great coaching in the Canadian Football League. He's not the only good CFL coach to get chewed up and spat out by the woefull T-cat's this past decade. I wish him the best in the future and would love to see him back in any capacity in the future.

A team with UCF's record needs to make improvements to their offense and I'm hoping Charlie Taaffe will be the guy to do it for them.

It certainly didn't work out for him here, but maybe, by now, he's more comfortable with the American game - college level.

Charlie's chances of winning at UCF are about the same as me winning in the UFC.

Okay! ???

UCF won the Conference USA championship in 2007, and lost in the championship game in 2005.