Chang likely to be dealt to Winnipeg

OK, I hope that CIS QB is as good as the last CIS QB to start in the CFL…(think hard)

There is a reason that most of em end up playing on special teams, they just don’t measure up.

Timmy Chang must be a hypnotist. He has done zilch as a pro player, and has two guys miles ahead of him on the depth chart. Stll despite his cockiness/arrogance/confidence, the ticat faithful LOVE him. The Bombers wont give up more than a couple of kicking tees for him.

I cant believe that we are talking about Chang when we have Printers and Williams on the roster.

I cant believe that we are talking about Chang when we have Printers and Williams on the roster.
'NUFF Said.

Peace.

als4ever- How many ncaa qb,s like Chang come to Canada with puffed up resumes, and end up bouncing around till they disapear without anybody noticing???- Imho at least two or three Cis qb,s rite now could do at least as well, , point is Why invest in ncaa talent but not cis??? All you ncaa fanatics should consider the plus side of having a Non-Import starting QB,. Add a import to the Oline etc-

That’s a great idea.

Too bad the people who get paid to judge talent don’t agree.

Too bad the last Non-Import quality starting QB was decades ago.

Must be a conspiracy.

Ron Lancaster’s most recent commentary is on this subject. I guess there are as many explanations for the lack of CIS QBs in the CFL as there are observers.

One thing I’d do would be to abolish the roster rule that establishes a separate category for QBs. Just let them count toward the ratio in the same way as other players do. If someone sees an opportunity sometime to use an extra import elsewhere by using a Canadian at the traditionally import QB position, maybe they’ll do it.

Makes sense to me.

And me as well.

Trust me...if there were any Canadians that could start or backup a CFL team, they would be playing.

At a key position like QB.....it wouldn't matter if the player was from the planet Nebulon.

Massdestuction...name me those three CIS QBs...?

No conspiracy here...

Contrary to the fact he could take out any octogenarian seated in the third row with a deadly misthrown out pass, Billy Dicken was NOT from Nebulon

Dicken left the Cats in 2000, had his tinfoil bonnet adjusted, and actually has developed into a decent arena football QB (Google “decent arena football QB” if needed LOL)…

:D :D :D

Oski Wee Wee,

As for the Chang issue, I would prefer it if the Cats would hold on to him until training camp, have him compete with another yet-to-be-known QB or three for the third slot, and assess who might be moveable at that point.

This concept that third-string QBs can be leveraged to unearth big rewards in other areas of the roster is somewhat dubious, IMHO. Especially in the case of Chang, who is a project and whose audition as a starter last season when terribly wrong at the hands of the Blue Team. I think it would be wise for the Cats to give him an opportunity to grow into the Taaffe-Bellefeuille system.

I think a crucial error in the Cats' approach historically has been the inability to develop QBs in-house. Development necessitates that a player is kept to well, develop. LOL It may be that Timmy is only third-string QB calibre in the CFL, but you want to develop a guy to be competent in the event of a domino-effect style injury situation in your pivot corps. Shuffling guys in constantly doesn't get that done.

I pine for the memory of Ben Sankey right about now LOL -- there was a serviceable third-string QB with game experience that had enough upside to grow into that role. As it is, we need to get that position in the depth chart firmed up. Is Chang that guy? We shall see.

Keep in mind that 3rd-string QB is a very important job on a successful team. Most clubs use those guys as the scout team QB during practices. They have to be able to assimilate a lot of information, process the opposing QB's tendencies, and reproduce that in practice. The mental side of that process gives that QB an edge over the medium-to-long term over many backup QBs in comparison.

Bruce Lemmerman, a career backup in the Edmonton Eskimo dynasty days, was a prototypical 3rd string QB. What he didn't have in terms of game reps behind Wilkinson and Moon, he had in the preparation aspect. He did play briefly for the Cats later in his career.

My take is that the Cats should ensure that they have somebody on the radar who they are sure can supplant Chang in their plans for the third stringer. That likely means waiting until camp to see if a successor emerges. That is the prudent method.

Subtraction by subtraction is still inferior to addition by subtraction as a personnel maxim. Until #4 is here to become #3, don't get rid of what you have.

I'm confident Obie knows what he's doing in this regard. The Buono M.O. in developing your future #1 via #3 is instructive here.

Oski Wee Wee,

Russ: Lets hope Charlie changes tactics this season. Last year Richie Williams was the #3 QB and appeared to be completely off the coaching radar. Why was Chang #2 when his game performance was nowhere close to what we would expect from even a #3. Williams was right under their noses yet seemed to escape the coaches evaluation system...assuming they had one.
No-one seemed more surprised than the coaches when Williams was put as a desperation move and proceeded to move the ball and make plays.
Thats why I shake my head when I read posts about keeping Chang around "for another chance." Get rid of him now and save some time at training camp. If Obie can't finds a better #3 before the season starts we are really in trouble! However...I'm sure Obie will come up with a couple or more...and they will all show more promise than Chang.

Charlie Taaffe has a very precise
evaluation system for quarterbacks.

Offensive football and the QB position
has been Charlie's life's work.

{Rocky Butler was rated #4.

His ego was so wounded that
he took his ball and went home.}

All the QBs had to learn
a new Offence in Training Camp.

Chang was the only one with
no training in the CFL game.

and he came out rated #2
at the end of Training Camp.

After training camp, #3 QBs
seldom run the offence

they become scout team QBs.

Unless something special happens
they usually don't move up to the #2 .

When all is said and done,
a mid-season 'trail by fire'

is the best test, Mr62Cats.

I would say the Labour day game,
Timmy faced was a 'burning inferno'

compared to the 'rings of fire'
Richie Williams had to jump through

so the jury is still out, in my opinion.

Regarding Williams: I wouldn’t necessarily classify it as a “desperation move” to have put Richie in when they did: Casey was on the sideline after all to approve of the switch…LOL Clearly Chang had to be pulled as a mercy act for both he and the fans. There was no way Chang was ready to lead a comeback, so it was apt for Richie to get his shot.

Everyone understood the Printers era was about to begin, so the sting of feeding the T.O. secondary with leather time and again wasn’t so lingering for me.

Please understand that Richie was our #3 on our depth chart at that point! There were those who ruminated about trading Richie in the weeks leading up to Maas being jettisoned as Printers was secured.

The Cats had seen some sparks with Chang in a backup role (the final drive in the Calgary opener, the Ralph strike vs. the Als, etc.) – that with the big game vs. the Bombers in the preseason led many of us in the Chang Gang to argue that in lieu of Maas lighting things up that giving Timmy a shot was the right call. I still think it was, just not against the Double Blue in hindsight. A couple of week earlier and who knows for sure?

Number three quarterbacks, contrary to perception, do not fall off the coaching radar precisely because they are used in scout team situations. They do get those reps in practice and work closely with the OC and/or HC in preparation for that, so they DO get looked at. The issue for me was not whether Williams should have gotten a look in game action because his results had been mixed (e.g. the mop-up against the Riders in Regina in 2005). The issue WAS continuing the Maas situation as the losses continued to mount. Both Chang and Williams needed their shot. Chang’s was on borrowed time when Printers loomed. Williams seized his in relief of Chang, showing the ability to move the pocket and hit receivers on the run.

The biggest difference in-game between Richie Williams and Timmy Chang is that Williams has greater passing accuracy when scrambling. His capacity to check down and hit secondary receivers is also far better since he has had the extra time to assimilate game speed FROM THE SIDELINE.

You can’t underestimate the advantage of being able to watch the action from the bench and get game speed imprinted into one’s thought process. For a young QB, that can be gold.

Instead of being thrown to the wolves (which arguably Chang was in the wake of Jason being the mauled golden fleece in need of a hook), Richie had that extra time to get ripe. Well, he may not be the instant saviour, but Richie Williams has proven that he can make plays when the real bullets are flying. He has the potential to be a very good QB in this league.

The apprenticeship of 2005 helped him even if from the comfort of our collective armchair Ticat Nation might wonder where Richie was all that time!

I really don’t think Willians circa 2005 was Chuck Ealey incarnate and the coaches totally missed his obvious talent. For his part, Ealey was a MONSTER NCAA talent whose only “crime” in the NFL m.o. of that period (1972) was that his pigmentation didn’t translate into getting pigskin opportunities at the quarterback position. Straight up.

Playing at Toledo may have put him at a disadvantage versus Div-1A juggernaut seniors, but the 35 consecutive win streak and being named First Team All-American by the Football News is what it is. It still stands as the longest win streak for a NCAA starter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuck_Ealey

<< enjoy

When Ealey came in week four of the 1972 and ignited the Grey Cup run, he had a team to work with. Throwing to Henley, Coffey, and Gabriel? LMAO A talented mobile QB who would be the equivalent of first-round draft pick material today in the NFL with that kind of offensive cast to work with (Jerry Williams as the perfect coaching foil) = recipe for success.

Richie Williams? He would be running for his life in 2005 under Paopao’s second-and-seven-by-numbers approach. It may be argued some years hence that having him at #3 then spared him from being damaged goods today. Or at the very least Changish: deer-in-the-headlights gobsmacked by the reality that the CFL, warts and all, is another kettle of fish for any NCAA “hottie” to have to navigate. Your rep only gets you to the dance line.

Williams’s time in Appalachian State was excellent, no doubt. His 1-AA credentials are comparable to Chang’s 1-A exploits – with a national title in tow at that. It’s a question that Chang’s preseason light-up against the Bombers moved his resume up the ladder. Not unexpected in that event. Circumstances…

[url=http://www.ticats.ca/index.php?module=roster&func=display&ros_id=836]http://www.ticats.ca/index.php?module=r ... ros_id=836[/url]

Getting into the dance in November is a big challenge for any import QB to overcome. Vince Ferragamo is the patron saint of martyred US “saviours” whose CFL careers became submerged in press-clipping overhype and picks to unaccounted-for defensive backs (counting to twelve can be an insurmountable task for even S.I. poster children like Vince LOL).

Seeing Timmy suffer that realization in his first full year as a pro isn’t such a bad thing in comparison to Ferragamo’s folly. However, the fragility in his situation is palpable.

So people are calling for Chang being sent out on a rail…I’m wary of dropping QBs after two starts. If one cleared out Canton or our Hamilton shrine of all the QBs who tanked big time in their first opportunities, you would have a small mountain of busts on each respective curb. It makes sense to upgrade the third-string slot when there is a clear alternative. I’m looking across the league and there isn’t a 3rd string guy that wows me over, frankly. Unless Obie and Rambo have a recruit on their radar, I don’t think it’s something I’d rush into.

Again, the price of developing QBs is that it is a process. We have the luxury of knowing that #1 and #2 is taken care of. This “#3 has to be off the charts, M.O.P.- YESTERDAY!” mentality that some (not all anti-Chang observers) have has to be checked, IMHO.

I’m interested to see how it shakes down. Ultimately it will boil down to how much work Timmy puts into his current role and whether his potential outweighs the possibilities outside the Ticat lair for him to be moved. His value to the team is going to be gauged by that equation, not by our collective memory of a Boatmen pickfest last September. If he puts the work in and can stick around, I’m not going to definitively count him out as a CFL player. Not yet.

We’ll see whether Obie drops a shoe soon. Hopefully it will not be a glass flip-flop. LOL :wink: I trust he will find a more-than-adequate resolution to our offseason angst.

P.S. Isn’t it great to be ventilating over #3 on the QB depth chart? Better times ahead!

Oski Wee Wee,

Williams proved he was capable in 2006- Taffe catered to Chang because he holds a ncaa record.played it safe ? http://www.ticats.ca/index.php?module=r ... ros_id=836

Still don't understand why people keep asserting Taaffe didin't "evaulate" properly.
So before yet another myth takes root here look at the facts.
Taaffe decided on #2 and #3 on the basis of training camp performance. According to Taaffe Chang outperformed Williams. And if you'll remember remember that's when "Chang is the real deal" talk began. Two ding a lings at the Spec said it and so did Shultz .

Williams was an afterthought and barely mentioned

Chang then showed enough in the few appearances after Maas was pulled to keep being #2. One could say he showed more than enough because many were screaming like girls at a Beatles concert for him to start.
Well, he did start, twice, and spit the bit twice and Williams took advantage of his chances after that and cemented his role as the #2 the rest of the way.It was then and only then did Wms. gain the nice reputation he has now.

Taaffe couldnt have been more correct , fair and reasonable in that "assessment".

Chang out performed everyone in training camp and the preseason, also he played well when ever he came in off the bench. I don’t understand why everyone thinks so highly of Williams, he played well in one half of football, that does not make him the next John Elway. As a starter he regressed pretty bad and Taaffe’s play calling showed that he didn’t really have that much confidence in Williams decision making.

Those Beatles groupie-in-waiting girls were TITANS compared to the ummmmm…Wendy’s Baconator ad equivalents. LMAO

The evil side of my miniwheat wanted Stu Sutcliffe’s remains as starter rather than Maas at that point, but I digress. LMAO :wink:

http://www.beatlesagain.com/bstu.html

Oski Wee Are The Walrus,

I think people are forgetting (or conveniently forgetting) all the hype and build up with Chang before his bubble burst.

To try and claim Williams had proven his superiority before Chang had his first disasterous start is ridiculous.

Agreed. My Chang Gang card sits alongside my Dave Marler and Timm Rosenbach Temple Of The Wounded Duck entries. LOL

I think Chang still has time to rectify things: if not in Tigertown, elsewhere in the league. He may have to accept being a #3 for a while before getting his next shot.

Oski Wee Wee,

You fellas can run this thing through as many hoops as you want. The fact is Williams showed he has more potential than Chang. Obie agrees. Thats why Chang is bait right now.
I question the evaluation process used in training camp if Williams' talents were not seen. I think some agenda's were at work....maybe recommendations made by other coaches about Chang and Charlie's staff did not want to ruffle any feathers.
I suspect Marcel B also had a good look at the game films too and agreed Chang has to go. Enough time has been spent on Chang who was supposed to have been experienced before he got here.
Seems like half this forum sees something in Chang that the coaching staff doesn't. When Maas was ineffective even after starting and showing no improvement for so long,there were still people who wanted him to be given more time. Same thing going on here again.
Not that it matters any more.......