Chang has Signed

Unfortunately all of those things impact the kicking very little. Truth is he just wasn’t a good enough kicker to play here, and we couldn’t afford to keep him around as a liability.

That’s not running him out of town, that’s just plain facts. Regardless of whether or not he ever becomes a good kicker it doesn’t matter because in the end here was just not the place for him, and we have held on to this lottery ticket too long.

On Chang:

I will reserve my judgment for now. I hope he can be our QB of the future, but I’m not going to be the one begging for him to be the starter this season. If Butler/Healthy Maas starts this year I’ll be content knowing that we’re headed in the right direction.

...well it's good to see (yet again) that the optomistic Ticat fans are out in strength in here. :roll:
The kid hasn't even throw an pass in our new 2007 offence a peolpe are discounting him and his talent.....I just don't get you people.

:cowboy:

My understanding is that he was part of a "run and shoot" offence with Mouse Davis and June Jones involved.

Exciting ... does this mean we will tailor our game plan to reflect his talents ... assuming of course he makes the club.

Last week our new Offensive Line Coach said the team is committed to running the ball.

I hope they get it sorted out.

It was only a matter of time, Barn. Make sure to leave the closet door open. Welcome to the lair.

Now say it with me…“Oskie Wee Wee…”

Tim Chang has achieved a lot. He will bring to camp a good challenge to Richie Williams. We are now into a good passing game. + into some possible offensive strategy. Good tools mean good rules, the coaching staff will see to that. I consider all these recent moves very positive and at the least promising of a good season.

I am a rider fan true and true but the ti-cats are number two on my list.

I am delighted that Timmy Chang is giving the CFL a shot and sad that it is not with the riders. He has NFL skills but lacks the size that makes their scouts drool...

I think he could be a great CFL quarterback. Too bad for them that BC did not clue into him. He could be a very marketable player in Vancouver with its very large Asian Canadian population.

Some info on Chang from nfl.com:

Chang is a lean, but athletic passer with a very quick release. He is at his best in the underneath passing game, but needs to do a better job of setting his feet. He operates mostly out of the shotgun and has inconsistent mechanics and rarely employs the same throwing motion. Chang has the ability to recognize coverages, but is a marginal progression reader who carries the ball too low when on the move and this effects his accuracy. When he sets his feet in the pocket, he throws a tight spiral with good velocity. But when he tries to throw on the rollout, his balls sail or skip to the receiver. … He has the speed and balance to avoid the pass rush and buy time and will step up in the pocket, but will get a little antsy and not let the routes finish before putting the ball away and running with it. He has adequate arm strength to throw deep, but routinely makes his receivers adjust downfield. Chang plays with poise, but will flush too early and spends too much time locking on to his primary target rather than scan the field. He has a quick flick to release the ball, but his delivery and touch are erratic. Too often, Chang will force the ball into traffic, as he rarely seems to check down. While his release is quick, he just seems to lack solid throwing techniques (will release from the hips too much). … Because he is under constant pressure, he does not spend much time reading the defenses and can be fooled by disguised coverages. When this happens, he tries to rely on his foot speed and will either roll out and throw the ball up for grabs or leave the pocket too early and try to run with the ball. Timmy has good timed speed and shows athleticism running with the ball. He does a good job of securing the ball before running from pressure, but shows marginal accuracy throwing on the move. … Maturity issues arose in the past and he has been benched several times for ineffective play. He is a decent worker, but lacks the leadership skills and seems to shy away from the spotlight. He does not have great command in the huddle, and while he can throw the ball deep, lacks accuracy and touch. He will elude pressure with his lateral slide, but does not square his shoulders consistently to throw on the run. His frame might not be strong enough to withstand punishment at the NFL level, but he has little room to add more bulk. … Operating out of the shotgun, it is difficult to see if he has the foot quickness to drive away from center to get to his set point. In limited chances to see him line up under center, he looks like he drifts in the pocket. He might be better suited playing north of the border in Canada or in the Arena League. Chang could stick as a backup in the NFL, but he would have to operate in a West Coast offense, so not to expose his accuracy problems with the deep ball.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2005/chang_timmy

Maybe he should have come to Canada right away and showed he could be a leader at the pro level and then tried his luck down south, like Flutie and Garcia. Not your prototypical nfl type qb for the scouts but doesn't mean he couldn't have been a good qb in the NFL.

Actually, Chang's always reminded me of Dave Dickenson--body type, range of skills, intelligence. If he's just nearly as good as DD, he'll be a keeper. And he's still got an upside. NFL scouts have seen enough to invite him to 3 NFL camps; last year he made it to the Steeler's final cutdown weekend. Many CFL QBs have never seen a NFL camp, not that that's the final word on a player's abilities. I think with good coaching, he can be a strong starter here.

As for Boreham, I don't get the fans' "thanks for trying so hard" attitude. Isn't this the same Boreham that cost the Cats 2-3 games early in 2006 when the games still mattered? So what if he tried hard? Every player tries hard. Boreham's way too unreliable. When the best kickers go out to do their thing, you can almost sense the confidence of his team mates. Man, with Boreham, you got real drama on almost every kick!!

I can see it now--when he gets cut out West, fans here will want the Cats to sign him so he can retire as a Cat (like they do with every other player who's had a cup of coffee in Hamilton).

An Argo-Cat fan

[quote="BarneyFife"]Actually, Chang's always reminded me of Dave Dickenson--body type, range of skills, intelligence. If he's just nearly as good as DD, he'll be a keeper. And he's still got an upside. NFL scouts have seen enough to invite him to 3 NFL camps; last year he made it to the Steeler's final cutdown weekend. Many CFL QBs have never seen a NFL camp, not that that's the final word on a player's abilities. I think with good coaching, he can be a strong starter here.

As for Boreham, I don't get the fans' "thanks for trying so hard" attitude. Isn't this the same Boreham that cost the Cats 2-3 games early in 2006 when the games still mattered? So what if he tried hard? Every player tries hard. Boreham's way too unreliable. When the best kickers go out to do their thing, you can almost sense the confidence of his team mates. Man, with Boreham, you got real drama on almost every kick!!

I can see it now--when he gets cut out West, fans here will want the Cats to sign him so he can retire as a Cat (like they do with every other player who's had a cup of coffee in Hamilton).

An Argo-Cat fan[/quote an argo cat fan? is that allowed?

The osmosis is nearly complete… we’re allowing BF to use the hyphenation (is THAT a word?)…lol eventually the Argo part will disappear…lol

Hey Barney,I'm glad you like Chang,you've got me hoping for excited success,how about he's like Chuck Ealy?
I heard Chuck Ealy 's name on the Fan590 .
Don Landry mentioned him as "ya he played for the Argos"....I thought ewwwww ,ya he won a Grey Cup for the Ti-Cats first Landry!!!1972
Go Chang Go!

Keep it coming Balarney :wink:

I'm excited about Chang's potential but right now that's all it is. He also said he still has the NFL on his mind. Hopefully he'll get some mop up duty this year so he can get his feet wet and be ready to start in the next couple years.

The same people who are doubting Changs skills are probably the same ones who cried to sign Tom Denison. What gives with the Hamilton fans we cry for more signings and are in need of better quaterbacking and now we sign someone that may provide this in the future. Why would we cry to sign a CIS qb who will never make it off a practice roster and then ridicule the sign of the NCAA top passer confusing

he's a new guy, but for what its worth i'd say to just let em all fight it out in camp, you might argue its Maas' job to lose if he was hurt last year but he needs a few guys pushing him to win the job. Do you think if Chang or Williams are cut they stick around with the practise squad?

The west teams that seem to always come up with new young talent seem to be very good at keeping tha heat on their QBs even their starters.

who was the last one Don McPherson for us and his nasty afro :stuck_out_tongue:

I don't want to rain on your parade, TiCats fans, but if he can't throw the deep ball, he's not much of an improvement on last year's Maas.

This is a passing league and you NEED to be able to go deep to keep DBs honest and move the chains. You can't simply grind out a West Coast offense with short passes and the run because you don't have that extra down to work with like you do in the NFL and in U.S. college ball.

Maas couldn't throw the deep ball last year, enemy defences knew it, and so they just clogged up the medium and short-range zones in the field until the pass rush got to him. Calvillo had the same problem. If they go back to the old balls you may see Maas get more effective on his long throws, which will put the pressure on Chang to show he can go deep with accuracy.

no matter who is playing QB we need someone to catch the football

An excellent and often overlooked observation!!!

An Argo-Cat fan