Chad Kelly suspended minimum of 9-games for violating gender-based violence policy

This is 3 days old but I think it’s a similar example where there was a settlement and the player was returned to play, after arguably more egregious accusations. Zverev just played in the men’s final yesterday and could have been crowned the champion!

Similar core issue but no, legally it’s not the same situation in this case or many at all when you have sexual harassment at work versus domestic violence as via the accusation that was made in Germany:

Zverev, the world No. 4, was facing a charge of causing bodily harm to Patea during an argument in Berlin in May 2020. Prosecutors alleged he pushed her against a wall and choked her. Zverev always denied any wrongdoing.

In short if the hopes of such a post are that Chad Kelly can simply pay his way out of this so that this matter is simply swept under the rug, the same way Zverev has done so, such advocacy would be a great example of whataboutism and a slant for Kelly again in one of your posts.

That’s not happening in the Kelly case.

Back to Chad now following through or not with the plan set forth before the settlement by the CFL.

I would need Kelly to follow through with his counseling to be considered for reinstatement. I’m merely stating that there is a precedent set in other leagues and it’s just another example, where players can return to action after being accused of various forms of harassment and assault.

1 Like

I get what you are saying and yes Kelly does have a path back. We’ll see if he takes it.

Being a tennis fan I followed the Zverev proceedings. I don’t think it’s comparable to football and tennis seems to be all over the place, invoking no discipline against Zverev yet disciplining players for accidentally hitting a ball boy/girl. Golf is even worse as everything is under the table.

In addition to following its own precedents, the CFL is better off looking at the NFL for guidance in my opinion as well as hockey, baseball and basketball. The latter two have the most experience with gambling issues, including throwing games.

3 Likes

https://3downnation.com/2024/06/11/randy-ambrosie-defends-cfls-gender-based-violence-policy-but-acknowledges-room-for-improvement/

So the new boss at MLSE put the kibosh on Kelly participating with the team.

1 Like

I hope MLSE decides to just let go of kelly.

2 Likes

Settlement was 8 days ago & no word yet on any penalties to the Argos for their handling of this fiasco. Is Randy hoping this is over & done?

1 Like

I hope not. I thought I read that there would be some discussions between the league and the Argos and a further announcement would be made. After initially botching this entire fiasco, the Argos have been making the correct decisions for some time now, unlike another organization that has never seen the Spike Lee movie Do the Right Thing. The league has been stellar in their handling of this situation to date. I expect further discipline to occur. I just hope that it is more than just scapegoating say Murphy and then carrying on. Pinball has to take responsibility as well.

3 Likes

Just reading the statement by the league at the start of the thread it only states further discussions with the Argos will take place, nothing of any further announcement.

I would suspect any discipline with club will be private. Maybe a quick memo on any decision/fines but I think all parties will want to move forward as soon as possible.

2 Likes

I had it in my head that there would be a further announcement, but I’ll take your word for it. Given the publicty to date I would be shocked if there wasn’t a further announcement. There will also be publicity surrounding Chad approaching the 9 game mark. Less publicity if they let him go or at least of less duration. It won’t do to scapegoat Murphy and leave Pinball relatively unscathed if that is their intention. Pinball has the most responsibility after Chad. We’ll see. They should have all just bet on Argonaut games so they could carry on business as usual.

1 Like