CFL's return to Ottawa closer

[url=http://www.theglobeandmail.com/blogs/from-the-sidelines/]http://www.theglobeandmail.com/blogs/fr ... sidelines/[/url]

I don't want to repeat what is on the Ottawa Renegades site. But we have been posting stories from the Citizen, Ottawa Sun for some time now. Everyone can go over to that site and read the latest.

The proposal for Lansdowne Live was submitted last Wednesday, some councillors tried to kill it right off the bat but in the end there were 7 against it and the majority for it. Now the public will have their say and the go ahead should be in November.

It will be 2013 NOT 2012, before the stadium is finished.

I really don't get us going back to a Falled Market Again for the 2nd Time..

Fool me once shame on you Fool me Twice shame on Me ..

Ottawa is not a sports Town at One Time Tought they where a Hockey town but even Hockey team is now drawing Real well

We should be trying to move to Quebec City or Maritimes

Ottawa is a Lost Cause almost as Lost as us getting a NHL Team.

They've got some solid business people there that are local and want to try and make a go of it again and I don't think you say no in that situation unless they can't get the stadium situation resolved, then obviously it's over and out.

They'd actually be going to a failed market for the 3rd time!

I think they're so stuck on putting a team back in Ottawa because it's our Capital and has a history of CFL football, although, that history is filled with LOSING teams and poor fan support.

I agree that Ottawa is the LAST place that deserves another team... but I still want them to get one. Simply so I can go watch the Ticats more often! A 2 hour drive is better than a 5 hour drive! :slight_smile:

So by your reasoning we should try to get rid of the Montreal Alouettes? Don’t forget the chances they were given. Why should we go back to Montreal why did we give them a second, third fourth chance?:

1. who can forget Nelson Skalbania signing the big name NFL players in 81, he ran the team into the ground before the Als ceased operation.
  2. new owners and a new name in 82 “Concordes? a dismal failure
  3. in 86 new owners and attempt to re-start under the name “Alouettes?
  4. collapsed just before the start of the 87 season.
  5. no team in Montreal until Baltimore stallions move there in 96
  6. finally success in 97 when the Als moved to Molson stadium to play in front of “sold out? crowds ………20,000

The reasons why Ottawa should be in the CFL:

The will have a 26,000 seat modern stadium
Local owners for a change. – Jeff Hunt runs the 67’s Junior team and the highest attendance in Jr hockey. Backed by three of the richest property developers in Ottawa.
Ottawa has a poplulation of 1 million
Highest average salaries in the country
Most stable economy in the country – only 5% unemployment.
Even during the worst losing seasons with the Glieberman ownership there was still a hardcore 20,000 that would come out to the games.

No stadium in the maritimes
No owners in the maritmes
No known CFL support

Does ONknight and Rusty know what they are talking about?
Have they even bothered to do some research.

Ottawa is the logical choice with new owners.
Yes weren't the Renegades out drawing the Tiger Cats in all of their seasons 02 to 05? remember the great crowds of 14 to 15,000 at Ticat games in them years?

Last time I checked the Senators had 18 to 20,000 average for the past 6 or 7 years. The Junior team has the highest attendance in Junior hockey (under Jeff Hunt).
Oh I forgot about the great crowds in Hamilton for AHL hockey????????????????/............lol

I get tired of listening to people talk about the Maritimes and Quebec - they have no money, no stadium, no potential owners, no known support for football.....................but "we should go there" even though the people there may not want CFL football....lol

The Maritimes at least deserve a shot... Ottawa had enough chances.

Deserve a shot??? Why?

Do you have some money to build a stadium, franchise fee, other investors?
Have Maritimers shown any interest in football?

I know Halifax showed interest in football. Enough to stage an Exhibition game and then follow it up by planning a second one until a certain team cough cough folded... AGAIN.

I'd love to see a team in Ottawa... I'd buy season tickets.

But I don't think they deserve a team... at least not yet.

It's not afailed market. it was more a case of failed ownership.

The Ottawa Rough Riders have a long and stored history and tradition which proves that.

Look at the problems the NFL has had with LA and they aren't giving up on that market and the NFL still makes loads of money with or without having a team in LA. Ottawa is important and with the group they have there, the CFL should work with them and the city, to a point of course should the city drag on for too long and then that's a problem. Not yet though.

The Maritimes at least deserve a shot... Ottawa had enough chances.
[/quote]
Deserve a shot???????? Why?

Do you have some money to build a stadium, franchise fee, other investors?
Have Maritimers shown any interest in football?
[/quote]
I know Halifax showed interest in football. Enough to stage an Exhibition game and then follow it up by planning a second one until a certain team cough cough folded... AGAIN.

I'd love to see a team in Ottawa... I'd buy season tickets.

But I don't think they deserve a team... at least not yet.
[/quote]
not yet ? but when?

But you still haven't explained why Montreal was allowed to fail twice and then go 10 years without a team?

Yes rusty you haven't explained why Montreal was allowed to return to the CFL after a couple of failures and 10 years absence and now only drawing 20,000 a game? Yet you are against Ottawa coming back even though they are going to have a new stadium, lots of money and backers and the loyal 20,000 fans that came out even during the dismal losing years??

Montreal had a pretty big gap between teams playing there. Besides... they weren't an expansion team. The Baltimore Stallions owner decided to move his team there. That was his choice. With Ottawa the CFL itself is trying to force a team into there. I hope I'm wrong and that this 3rd incarnation of Ottawa football does well... it would be good for the league as a whole...

BUT...

Other places should be given consideration first.

Until Ottawa has a stadium built... do NOT use the Stadium as a reason they deserve a team.

I agree fully with mikem on this.

While I'd love to see a team in QC or the Maritimes, Ottawa is the more logical choice for moving back to nine teams, for all the reasons he gave. Let a Quebec or Atlantic team join as the tenth team... when and if they find a stadium and financing.

I second that. MikeM :thup: Rusty and OnKnight :thdn: (For how many years did the Ticats draw 14,000 per game and still get bailed out by the league and Bob Young? And was good ownership able to turn it around? Yup.)

A Ticat fan in Ottawa.

I hope for 10 CFL teams in 5 years :thup: Ottawa and out east :rockin:

O.k I think your referring to the Ballard years, when the Cats were drawing 14 000 a game. With Bob Young as our owner for the past 5 years we have been averaging something like 25 000 a game.

While I'd like to see a team east of Montreal, the Maritimes option is like the backup QB on a team. It's the most popular option largely because it SEEMS to have possibilities. But no one really knows. We do know that they do not have a suitable stadium.

Ottawa is still a possibility in my books. With all those government jobs, it's a recession proof town. If they get a new stadium, a team has a chance.

An Argo-Cat fan