cflisthebest's open Challenge

Ok, so who out there would like to discuss football with me? theory, plays… the way the game is played…

not rules, not why CFL is better or worse than the NFL.

i’m talking about the game itself, why plays are the way they are, why certain things work and other things don’t. the reasons for calling a Draw on a certain down, a fake punt or punt block attempt at a certain time in the game, why you call certain defensive plays at a certain time… and many more things that to some will likely blow you away.

I would love for someone to try and stump me… bring it on…

O.K. Lets start with this one. Why do the Riders, on 3rd and less than a yard, put some skinny little runt in there to try and get the first down?

Holy ego, Batman...

Because Miller either believes that keeping him out of the short yardage plays will either prevent a possible injury or he may also think that Jyles is better at this particular play.

Well judging by the success rate of this play, what is Millar Drinking, smoking or snorting to come to this conclusion, or are you insinuating that he is insane, as we all know the definition of insanity, doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

And the next thing would be, How could Dressler have improved his tecnique, on that last drop on 3rd down of a pinpoint pass from your buddy Durant, that would have allowed him to hold on to the very catchable ball and prolonged the game winning drive?

Okay.
I have one for you.
As a knowledgeable fan, explain why this comment is not valid:

No one to blame but Durant today! by cflisthebest on Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:30 pm

Durant killed this win for us! we should have had this game in the bag but he peed it away folks

Well, it's a mixture of Durants throw and Dressler's positioning.. a lot of times it is difficult to be in perfect place, like in practice! Durant has a bit of a problem when it comes to his passes.. accuracy is his biggest issue.

Dressler was in the right spot, but that pass could have been higher and more to the right, probably would have helped.

But Dressler could also have tried to use his hands to catch that ball.

And Coaches always seem to make mistakes. coaches can be stubborn when they make their choices. I'm sure, given a few more times if Jyles fails to do his job, he will make a change. But you do have to realize that his O-Line is not exactly the starting line up.

because before our defense had tired out from not getting any decent rest.. Durant had a number of opportunities to make the current drive continue but over threw the intended receiver! And there was another play to Fantuz that would have given us a first down, but he threw the ball into the turf!

so what ended up happening is our offense was coming off the field in 2 plays, forcing an already tiring defense to come right back onto the field.

Your knowlege and grasp of CFL football has me in awe and I think I will quit posting as there is no point as your outlook is the only one that matters due to the all encompassing knowledge of this poster.

Ty cflisthebest for taking the time to explain some of footballs finer points,this is as exciting as when happytobegreen posted here.

Question:

Sask @ Stamps. Aug. 1st.

On paper our O-line looks solid. With my hero Geno back and now J. Bell prob starting a RT, do we have what it takes to give young DD that extra second…

Question.

Even with DD getting that extra second will the LaPolice game plan have DD quick hit, or use more play action, or wild-cat. or both Cates and Charles in the “I”…

hang on while I go ask them! :stuck_out_tongue:

with a Solid O-Line.. that will definitely improve the offense as far as blocking goes both on rush and pass. BUT,

if the wrong plays are called at the wrong time and they do not try to make the defense have to respect both the run and pass, then the defenses will key on certain things and can easily shut down the run.

if you don't use the run to establish the pass.. or in some teams cases vice-versa, the whole point of trying to Run the ball is useless.

the whole key to having a running game, when you are a pass oriented team (like the Riders seem to have become) is to make the defense have to second guess themselves on each play! but if you don't use your schematics properly, the defense will usually know what is coming! Which is why they'll usually put someone up in the press box to study their opponents plays and the likelihood of a play being called.

a Good offense will know where the weakness of their opponents defense is and attack it! if they are weak against the run (like our Riders) they'll attempt to pound it up the middle or use the outside, pending on the style of running back you have.

Montreal has a running back that like the outside rush, instead of the middle. he succeeds when he can get around your DE. Saskatchewan tends to run a up the gut running game and beat you up in the process. But when you have a poor O-Line it makes it more difficult to obtain those goals.

The Reason that Montreal and Edmonton were able to pass on us so easily was because of their quick formations.. they would snap the ball and within 2 seconds most of the time would already have Calvillo getting rid of it. the Riders defense is designed more around an offense that takes 4 seconds to throw the ball.. The Als did the right offense to defeat the Riders.

the Esks saw this on game film and capitalized on it again. why do you think Ray had so much success? he threw many short-medium passes and exploited the Riders secondary.. the Rider defense didn't have enough time during their rush to get to Ray and therefore were mainly ineffective.

The Stampeders have an Offense that is geared more towards the Riders defense.. which is a bonus. But when you have Burris who can run with the ball as good as any QB in the CFL, it does complicate a number of factors. Now they have to adjust their pass rush to keep him from gaining the outside edge on the defenders as well as the middle. because the secone Burris sees the whole open up he will run.

They might put a Rover on Burris, a Rover is the name of a player who you can say "spies" or observes the QB, and that is his main job when the team passes, just in case he decides to run.

Nice. To bad that simply is not what happened. Having a substantial lead at halftime, the team came out in the second half and began making mistakes. A poor kick return left us with poor field position. A stupid penalty (too many men in the huddle) left us 1st and 20 at our own 15. After running for his life on first down, DD completed a ten yard swing pass to Cates on 2nd down, as the team choose to gain field position rather than try to get 20 yards. Then, a completely rested defence (even time of possession in the first half and first time on the field in the second half) proceeded to allow a 5 minute drive, featuring running the ball. I imagine they were tired after that---but in no way can the offence be faulted. Then shortly after that, the STs gave up a punt return for a TD. Again, completely unrelated to a "tired" defence, because if half way through the 3rd and after only two series you are that exhausted, you aren't very good.
I believe the specific Fantuz play you refer to saw DD running for his life. Yes, that was a makable play. But believe it or not, occasionally, when a QB is running, and is not able to plant his feet and set up, and has to throw back against the direction he is running, the ball sometimes has been known to fall short... and we had a holding call on that play regardless, so no first down either way.
Of the 4 or 5 throws DD made that were not good---that one to Fantuz was not one I would count.
Might as well blame him because Dressler dropped the ball....

O wise one, just one more question.

Predictability on offense.
When in the green zone and up against a tough D. Why is there not a 3 down game plan used along with the no-huddle. Why in these situations does the O insist on running the play clock down to 1sec.

Keep Jyles off the field, use both Import backs out of the back field . Keep the D from getting set..

Anyone who has as much experience as you claim to have should be intelligent enough to realize that one series does not decide an entire game. Could Durant have done more? Of course. There is always room for improvement. But it comes across as sheer foolishness and a complete LACK of football knowledge to lay the defeat at the feet of one play or one player.

For example, if the guys had tackled better and prevented the 37 yard TD run, Durant may never have been put in the position of driving for the final score. So perhaps the blame needs to be laid at the feet of the first guy who missed a tackle on that play....or the third guy....or maybe the fifth.

In a win or a loss, there is plenty of credit and blame to go around. Isolating on one player on one drive in a game involving 120+ plays is simply an indication of hatred for that person, a lack of football knowledge, or just blowing off steam. I would hope in your case it's the latter.

You must be his wife. :lol:

it's because of poor planning by the O-Coordinator.

plain and simple.

Anyone who has as much experience as you claim to have should be intelligent enough to realize that one series does not decide an entire game. Could Durant have done more? Of course. There is always room for improvement. But it comes across as sheer foolishness and a complete LACK of football knowledge to lay the defeat at the feet of one play or one player.

For example, if the guys had tackled better and prevented the 37 yard TD run, Durant may never have been put in the position of driving for the final score. So perhaps the blame needs to be laid at the feet of the first guy who missed a tackle on that play....or the third guy....or maybe the fifth.

In a win or a loss, there is plenty of credit and blame to go around. Isolating on one player on one drive in a game involving 120+ plays is simply an indication of hatred for that person, a lack of football knowledge, or just blowing off steam. I would hope in your case it's the latter.
[/quote]
ya. it was.

well, being a former QB myself.. I get frustrated when the QB makes stupid decisions.

an extremely good QB finds ways to avoid mistakes.

avoiding to throw off his back foot is a sign of a good QB

knowing when to throw the ball away is a sign of a good QB

Throwing on the Run and being able to throw without having to set up is another sign.

being able to feel the defense and predict their moves is a good sign.

QB's in a way have a sixth sense if you wanna call it that.

they feel things on the field, and when they call a bootleg, or a fake or a playaction.. and it works to a tee, most of the time it's because the QB just had a feeling and went with it.

you observe the game in a different way than a fan who's never ever played the game themself.

you see things that they don't see. you notice something and when you mention it, they tend to look at you weird.. until it works and then they say "wow, good call!"

there are times when you are watching the offense and you think to yourself "perhaps they should run this play..." if they don't you get angry. and if they do and it works, you just knew it.

doesnt' always work 100% of the time.. just how the game works.

On kickoffs when it is a booming kick that isn't landing until it's deep in the endzone, what sense does it make for the returner to catch it and kneel and give up a single point instead of just letting it go through the endzone?

if the ball is not going to go out of the endzone, which usually is the case when they give the single point, they kneel instead of letting it bounce until MAYBE it'll go out... of course it's a live ball and the kicking team wants it too!

if the ball is clearly going out through the back, they'll let it go.. they're experienced enough to know whether or not that ball is going to go out.

...I've got one oh Dalai Lama of Football....seeing you played the position, which pointy end of the football should the QB have facing forward?....the left or the right pointy end?....

...also, do you think a good strategy for a o-line man is to once in a while totally let that defensive end through the line to absolutely cream your QB?...I didn't play o-line when I played, I was a DB, but seeing how you played QB the thought crossed my mind that this might be a good thing to do if, say, I was on your o-line...eagerly awaiting your wise platitudes oh knowledgeable one...