CFLHorsemen Update: REDBLACKS Expansion Mock Draft

I know every CFL fan can't wait to see what is going to happen for the upcoming REDBLACKS Expansion Draft. I am no different, and as soon as I saw the release of the free agent lists, almost uncontrollably, I started to assemble the protected lists for each team and conduct a draft. You can see all of my work here. It took several hours to compile and I hope you appreciate the effort.

I suspect that there will be different ideas that what I presented and so I encourage you to let me know how I did in my first ever Expansion Mock Draft. Hopefully we will have a few more of these in the upcoming years.

[url=http://www.cflhorsemen.ca/redblacks-mock-draft-intro.html]http://www.cflhorsemen.ca/redblacks-moc ... intro.html[/url]

First of all you have to be commended for all the work you put into this.

From an Alouette standpoint, certain players of course can be debated. However, there is no way they will protect Messam as either a 6 or 8. He was a disappointment this season and carries a high salary. If not chosen by Ottawa, I can see him released by the Als in the off-season.

This is a remarkable piece of work and, represents a good beginning for a difficult task. I'll have to spend additional time and study prior to offering my perceptions of it. Naturally, my first team to view was the Alouettes and, your perceptions appear valid requiring few, if any changes. I thank the author (s) for this study.

Thanks for your support guys.

I think Messam is still a valuable Al. Who would you expect the Als to protect ahead of him? Kristan Matt?

Absolutely. Young OL are infinitely more valuable than mid-career RB who couldn’t hold down the starting job.

Defensive Backs in the import draft and Offensive linesmen in the NI draft will be our priority.

I agree non-import offensive linemen will be a priority.

As far as imports go, there are only 8 picks, and if two are QBs, that only leaves 6. I can't imagine more than two at any position. I think Ottawa will want some experience at other positions. I actually think DB is one of the easier positions to recruit a player who can be successful as a rookie.

J'espère que non. Messam n'a pratiquement rien donné cette saison, sinon bloquer. Il a été bon pour remplacer Whitaker à Toronto. Pour le reste, Messam a été d'une grande inutilité et ce n'est pas pour rien que Sutton a pris l'ascendant sur ce poste.

Je trouve que Matte a beaucoup plus contribué que Messam.

Messam's disposable to me. Both Sutton and Whitaker are ahead of him on the depth chart, unless he wants to take a paycut to be our fullback.

We have four years invested in Kristian. I doubt we leave him unprotected. We also have Philip Blake who has not found an NFL roster spot who could be at camp. Its imperative that we protect our oline during the expansion draft. That's what Ottawa will target first and foremost.

Agree with you on Sutton. Whitaker given his injuries the past two seasons, will be interesting to see if he can bounce back