CFL - WHO HAS THE TRADEMARK?

According to the vast majority here, CFL head office the next move is yours.
At least run it bye the legal department.
Anyone home.

I suspect that the compact lights are just making use of an adopted acronym or phrase. It will die out soon enough, with a proper amount of education.

Back in the 70s everything was ski doing this and ski doing that. It was adopted by media as ski doing, eventually, it got changed to the proper snow mobiling.

Hey, I have had my green CFL in the porch for more than a year. A number of stores in Regina have already promoted these green bulbs…

I really dont think the league can do anything about it. Its not the manufacturer that call them CFL bulbs. I have never heard GE or sylvania call them that. Its only the Green “societies” that do

Uh, have you checked the GE lighting website? They use the term CFL a lot!

[url=http://www.gelighting.com/na/home_lighting/products/energy_smart.htm]http://www.gelighting.com/na/home_light ... _smart.htm[/url]

Here is just a bit from their website:

Common Questions Asked About CFLs
What compact fluorescent light bulb do I buy to replace an incandescent (regular) bulb?
Standard Bulb CFL Bulb
60w = 13w-15w
75w = 20w
100w = 26w-29w
150w = 38w-42w
Because the wattage of a CFL bulb is much lower than that of an incandescent, you can use higher wattage CFL giving you the equivalent light of a higher wattage incandescent. For example: If your fixture says not to exceed 60 watts, you can use a 15 watt CFL to get the same amount of light as an incandescent bulb or use up to a 42 watt CFL and increase the amount of light.
• Calculate your estimated savings
• Find a replacement CFL

Should I be concerned about using CFLs in my home or should I take any special precautions?
CFLs are safe to use in your home. CFLs contain a very small amount of mercury sealed within the glass tubing - an average of 5 milligrams (roughly equivalent to the tip of a ball-point pen). No mercury is released when the bulbs are in use and they pose no danger to you or your family when used properly.
• Learn how to properly dispose.
• What should I do if a CFL breaks?

Can I use a CFL bulb with a dimmer switch?
To use a compact fluorescent bulb on a dimmer switch, you must buy a bulb that’s specifically made to work with dimmers (check the package). GE makes some dimming compact fluorescent light bulb (called the Energy Smart Dimming Spirals®) that are specially designed for use with dimming switches.

Can I use a CFL bulb outside?
Many CFL bulbs can be used outdoors if used in an enclosed fixture. To be certain, look for the package or bulb to say that it can be used outdoors and verify the lowest operating temperature for the area where the product is being used.
• My outdoor light has a timer. Can I use a CFL bulb?

More Frequently Asked Questions

Well thats news to me.
I still doubt the league could stop them

Agree, I doubt they could stop them as well. Trademark is a tricky thing though. Look at places in Vancouver that have been operating for decades that have been asked to change their name because of the Olympics… How does a pizza joint get confused with the games?

I go back to my previous post, what if the bulbs were called NFL for short?

Prop nothing, like in this case

I am not so sure, they would be all over this with their legal department.

There's a difference when there are two competing parties using a similar mark. If a company was selling "CFL" bulbs, then you'd be right. But no one seems to have actually adopted or used the mark - it's moreso a creature of the media/public. There's no one brand of these bulbs that are CFL bulbs. As far as I know this is used indiscriminately by the public regardless of the manufacturer.