CFL Webserver

On one hand, nothing done on here is a big deal in the grand scope of things, yet it is another example of incompetence that would not be allowed to happen on other major sports boards. Coruption and other problems could happen everywhere, but those on the ball would know it happened with in 24 hrs or less and be able to restore from no longer back than the day before.

Also, for some people who may have started a discussion about something they are passionae about, put a lot of work into their comments and looking forward to responses, it can be quite the bummer.

I can see that...I guess I just disagree on the degree of inconvenience it can cause.

well, I dont see anyone threatening suicide or murder yet :wink:

lol - give it time...

Short of daily database backups, there isn't much you can do. Five days rollback is still pretty good and it's not as if this is mission critical data lol

Just to clarify, there was data corruption happening on the drives over the past 5 days, but the drives were still operational and not throwing errors. By the time we realized that there was data corruption, the latest clean backup we had was 5 days ago.

Backups are only as good as the data in them. Sure, I could've potentially gone back even an hour, but then there would have been no guarantee as to which posts were being corrupted.

All in all, would you rather have corrupted data from an hour ago or clean data from 5 days ago?

Good work, I didn't even notice there was issues.

be pro-active, not reactive. Dont wait for the system to “throw” out errors. Run programs to check for corruption and other issues at least once a day. Its not hard, really.

You know, FYB, instead of complaining and criticizing, why don't you try being thankful that they even provide us with a forum. :roll:

Because I dont like how the way this site has been run over the yrs, specially back when canoeslam was doing it, contributes to making the cfl look bush. I will admit that the last few yrs have been better and I beleive they trying to makedo it even better, but I cant help pointing out how there is still much room for improvement when applicable. No reason this site cannot be run on par with other major sportsleagues sites.

I think they've done a good job. I have a few very minor complaints but it just isn't worth sweating the small stuff.

You done good Jeff. It's only five days worth of posts. NOT a big deal at all.

kiss kiss kiss :stuck_out_tongue:

How about those canucks ehh. :thup: :rockin: :cowboy:

No other major sports sight provides us with a forum to discuss/argue with each other, so I think we need to take that into consideration when knocking the forums.

on the other hand, there is such sites as 13thman

Been there, done that, boring...pass, thanks...

The 13thman is not part of the official CFL site, so I don’t know where you’re going with your argument.

I’m simply trying to tell you it’s hard to complain about the cfl.ca forums when you take into consideration that nhl.com nfl.com nba.com all don’t have message boards to discuss/argue.

The 13thman is a fan site, it’s not in partnership to my knowledge with the CFL.

http://fans.nhl.com/blogs

Granted, its no very good, but then again, each team has its own site with message forums, apparently controlled by NHL as to standards.

NFL.com used to have forums connected to ESPN forums, same login id and passwords, etc. Apparently since the ESPN forums were more popular, they decided the NFL.com ones were redundant.

As for NBA, dont care for basketball, have no experience with it, cant comment, except to say, ESPN covers all the sports and does so very well.

AS for OFFICIAL, doesnt matter, all that matters is quality.

Very mature FYB. Considering that there would absolutely no reason at all for me to kiss up to anybody on this board, your comment is very juvenile. What do you think I would hope to gain by complimenting the sysadmin? An increased post count maybe? Think before you post such foolishness.

To each their own I guess. Myself I've seen mlb.com's message boards with almost zero moderation, the nhl has no official message board, the blogs are terrible, nba doesn't have anything at all, neither does nfl.com.

Considering that the cfl gives us an official message board with actual moderation, and it's connected to the website and easy to use, I honestly find it hard to complain.

If I had to complain about something about these message boards it would be the constant arguing about the exact same topics that certain members seem to do in every 2nd thread, or the non stop negative "the cfl is doomed" talk.

it was friendly humour that seemed to go over your head :roll: tsk tsk