CFL wants $12-million from feds for 100th Grey Cup

I’m sorry, but that made me lol. :lol:

Damn you gods of spelling! :lol:

The 100th Grey Cup Championship is a very unique and special event in the annals of Canadian sporting history and sports has a definite place in our culture and it's not just all about hockey. You don't think for a minute if baseball or basketball had a league like the CFL, or soccer or lacrosse, that gets multi-millions to view it's national championship and hundreds of thousands to watch most games they wouldn't be all over a 100th and trying to get some federal funding for it? Darn right they would.

Part of the the "haters" of the CFL out there are big time hockey, baseball, basketball, soccer etc. fans who wish they had something like football has in the CFL and Grey Cup. I know this and that's why I don't really call them haters, I just try and sway them to the treasure we have and say "join the party" folks! Don't spend your time "hating", have some fun. :cowboy:

I think our Prime Minister might be one, it has to bug him as a huge hockey fan he can't really celebrate often a Canadian winner on our soil for the Stanley Cup. I can empathize with him but I'm just glad I'm able to cherish our Grey Cup football championship and hopefully he will too or does but I don't think he does, just a feeling I have. :?

We gave control of our Stanley Cup to a now American dominated NHL, that is unfortunate.

We are only discussing this at all because the game is in Toronto. If it was in Montreal, they would be asking for 100 Million (read last week's MacLeans magazine), and if it was out west it would be a non starter.

Nothing west of Thunder Bay gets anything in this country, except the bill. BC Forestry and Fisheries get decimated, nothing. Droughts bankrupt farmers throughout the prairies, nothing. A one-year fall in domestic car sales, and Ontario-based car manufacturers get tens of millions, which they immediately ship out of the country to their American parent companies, and go ahead and close the factories anyways. West of Thunder Bay, they don't even need to bother to count our votes.

Government exists to provide us with military protection, roads, schools, and health care. (There are even those who debate the health care, or at least the degree of service provided)

If "cultural" or sporting events want money, let them open a charity, hold a telethon (like the Riders did), or go to service clubs to raise funds. Then the people who want to provide money to these causes can do so voluntarily, instead of having the money ripped from their pockets.

People will make a profit off the Grey Cup. If the people of Canada contribute, will we also get a dividend off of those profits?

Im not going to further try to change anyone's opinion. I mean whats the 100th Grey Cup when we can spend our money on pride parades, film festivals, and just about any other thing...

But I digress, although people should do a little research..

Having said that, the 12 million is not because this is Toronto!
It`s the CFL asking for the money, and rest assured it would have been the same thing in any other city.
The 100th Grey Cup will be a national celebration and there will be events around the country leading up to the big game.

I should specify, I can understand and respect the fact people don`t want their tax money to go to ANY cultural or sporting event. It just seems to me that we should maybe change our priorities if we want to be more fiscally responsible.

the thing about this "national celebration" is that a very small percentage of the population will actually join in, or even give a damn.

I helped pay for Quebec's 400th anniversary and I didn't join in or really "give a damn" either and I doubt a lot of Canadians outside of Quebec "gave a damn". But it was a sort of national celebration nevertheless.

Not sure I've ever watched a Canada Day celebration from Parliament Hill but that's supposed to be huge also and we do all pay for that year after year after year, wherever you live in Canada.

Yes. And I have a problem with that.

I don't see any NEED for the fed's to kick in for the Grey Cup but on the basis of fairness on what other cultural and sporting events have received, putting up $12M for the 100th Grey Cup is more deserving and culturally significant than a lot of the other "events" that get funded. Should be able to get a good half-time performer(s) for that money.

What cannot be argued, the Grey Cup hands down is the most unifying (sporting) event of the year.
Therefore if any organization and comparing to the artsie fartsie crowd deserves our hard earned money, it is the CFL.

The 12 million is not for the Grey Cup. Its for the celebration of the Grey Cup across CANADA. Like they did with the torch for the olympics !!

That torch relay cost some $100 mill someone was saying on the ticats forum. Holy mackeral, I had no idea it cost that much for that relay! :o

Glow sticks, an artificial lake and sunscreen.

I am against this. If Toronto is unable to put on a good show, stop taking the Grey Cup there til they smarten up. Leave it out West where its done well! :smiley:

Considering how much waste their is when it comes to government spending, you might as well give some to the CFL

You know...

If Ronald McCohon thinks the sport is soooo important to the country
And he wants the taxpayers to shell out millions to celebrate this great and traditional game
Maybe he can explain to some of my poorer neighbors why for the last few years
They're s***t out of luck if they want to watch the Grey Cup on their TV antennas?

Great tradition...if you can afford it.
Why not hit TSN up for some cash?
I hear monopolies are all the rage...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

How much was that fake lake anyways Chief? That was for the famous G20 Summit wasn't it? And how many people actually viewed this pristine wilderness BTW? :wink:

After the 2007 Grey Cup, Cohan went on the record and stated the event was a “great success that generated over 80 million dollars in revenue.”

I attended the 2007 Grey Cup game as well as the festivities. It was a great time. Explain how Toronto didn’t put on a good show. (check your western bias at the door)

EXACTLY! If you plan on attending the 2012 Grey Cup, I don’t understand how you can be against the CFL getting the $12 million. As a fan, you’ll get more bang for your buck at the event. More money = a better party.