CFL vs. UFL exhibition games

Personally I think the UFL will turn into a NFL Europe type of league. Minor league football, a place were NFL late round draft picks or players that need development have a chance to earn a living playing football. I could see this league take off if they become afflicated with NFL teams.

As for CFL exhibition games I would like to see Canadian University All-stars play against CFL teams first. It’ll help promote our universities and our football players.

They'll be targeting Vick for sure I would think.

Which means the league is going to the dogs!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

For my next act…

What does the U stand for?

Unknown
Football
League

Useless
Football
League

Un-watchable
Football
League

U-haul
Football
League

Why must we completely trash this other league?
Aren't we all football fans, this league is not ging to be a detriment to our league, so I say, the more football the better.

LA

New York

San Francisco

Going where the NFL won’t? Whuh?

And Vegas is a HORRIBLE pro sports town. Which would explain why every one they ever had has failed, and they presently have none.

No matter how you slice it, it will be bad US football, and fans have repeatedly shown they don’t want that, won’t watch it, and won’t care.

At least the USFL tried to play in summer, where hardcore fans might have a jones for some football action, but that league’s most enduring memory is its startlingly empty stadiums that teams played in.

And the UFL is gonna try and carve out a niche in October, when high school, college and NFL football (all of which will mean more to the fanbase) are all in full swing. Not to mention MLB playoffs, and the NHL and NBA in regular season.

Name the NFL team that currently occupies the LA market please?

They need to be in NYC because the population is so massive and so diverse. If you can't sell something in NYC, its hopeless. Same goes for LA, which I might add doesn't have an NFL team.

San Fran is the same situation. Big population, very wealthy, very football oriented town. They're counting on these being the financial pillars of the league.

But make no mistake LA, Sacramento, Salt Lake City, Monterrey, Las Vegas, Orlando, and Hartford have no NFL teams.

So you have 2 big wealthy markets that DO have NFL teams vs. 7 that don't. Great argument. :roll:

Plus, I agree, I hope if they survive until next year, they consider starting the games earlier in the year. Late July or early August but again they are playing mainly on Thursday and Friday. There's no high school football Thursday. Maybe one or two college games on Thursday. Not all high schools in the nation play on Friday night either. Many play on Saturday and the NFL plays on Sunday/Monday with 1 game on Thursday that 99% of the population can't see anyway.

Basketball arenas can only hold ~20,000 people and only about half of the cities have basketball teams anyway. Same with Hockey and most of those cities don't have hockey teams and football outranks hockey by a lot in the states, so its a non-issue really.

They have a shot but I'll agree, I'd like their chances a lot more if they'd play in the Spring.

My point with LA is that it’s next on the NFL hit list. It’s not somewhere they “won’t go”. And if NY, LA and San Fran are 3 OF THE 4 teams this year, what sort of argument are you making about the league’s location?

And what sort of allegiances are the going to create with 4 teams playing in 7 venues? How will anyone care about “their” team when its “season” amounts to them being parachuted in for 1 or two home games?

That’s only for the first season because they need a little money to get to next year.

Next year they hope to have 6 to 8 teams ready. Guess where those expansion teams will most likely be going? You apparently didn’t guess it because they’ll most likely be going to those other venues that the 4 teams are playing at.

The league has a serious shot at putting a team in Mexico! That’d be great for Mexico. They have had a well established Football system in their schools since the 1920’s. Their best players could possibly make it into this league. That’d be gigantic in expanding the sport.

From what im reading in its first year UFL venues which are also NFL cities will draw poor crowds which will dwindle, in a world of recession this league is going down the toilet.

As for playing on Friday's? Thats total suicide, high school football maybe small in Canada, but its just as big as college Saturday and NFL Sunday's and Monday's, dont forget the UFL and NFL will go head to head on Thursday since the NFL does play a couple games on that day during the season as well.

I dont see a second season of the UFL, they have a contract on Versus I believe, and I hear enough of people complaining how the NHL is only available to a portion of US viewers, this new UFL doesn't sound very promising.

Being affiliated with the NFL does not in any way guarantee success. The WLAF was affiliated with the NFL. NFL-Europe was affiliated with the NFL, and was in fact a farm league. Where are they now?

Americans have demonstrated time and again that they won't support pro football that isn't NFL. That's not bashing this new league, that's pure and simple fact. And your argument that they go where the NFL won't doesn't hold water when two of the four teams will be in cities with current NFL teams -- one with TWO -- and another is in a city that has had two NFL teams in the past.

As for the CFL's continued survival, that's largely because they have one thing the UFL does not: history. Canadians would not allow the CFL to go under the way countless leagues in the US have. And when its US expansion turned out to be a dismal failure, the CFL came running back to Canada where it belongs, with its tail between its legs.

And I don't understand how you can call yourself a "fan" of a league that has yet to play a down. :?

Why does it have to be the bottom 2?I think it need needs too be the top 2…I think the UFL would bring a decent team as well as the CFL…If you play be Canadian rules that means you have to use the ratio and all that and that will hamper the cfl team by most part…

what does the UFL vs the CFL do for these leagues, nothing.

If CFL loses to the UFL it loses creditability, the word will be an established league with a trophy 100 years old cant beat a new watered down talent league callled the UFL.

UFL loses to the CFL its not a great ticket selling drive for an upstarting pro league thats trying to win support from a NFL is the only real football to watch attitude.

it maybe nice to dream up but not going to happen

Does every post you make have to take a shot at the CFL ratio? IT IS NOT GOING TO CHANGE, IT IS WHAT MAKES THIS LEAGUE AMAZING AND IT IS THE SOLE REASON THAT THIS LEAGUE HAS LASTED OVER 100 YEARS. TAKE A LOOK AT THE CFL ALLSTARS-EAST AND WEST ALLSTAR TEAMS- THERE ARE NO RATIOS FOR THOSE YET THERE ARE RATIO LIKE NUMBERS OF CANADIANS ON THOSE TEAMS. THE CANADIANS IN THE CFL ARE JUST AS GOOD AS THE AMERICANS (I’LL GIVE YOU QUARTERBACK POSITIONS), THAT IS WHY THE ALLSTAR GAME I WOULD LIKE TO SEE IS THE CANADIANS IN THE CFL VERSUS THE AMERICANS.

I didn’t say I was a fan of the league.

I said I was a fan of the SPORT.

There’s a crucial difference there.

Wow…way to outcast a significant portion of your league.

Might as well label them “the bad guys” while you’re at it. :roll:

The americans who come up here and play are loved and respected in Canada. I think most fans would cheer for the Canadian team, but it would be all in fun.

“Also, like I’ve been saying, they are targeting the smaller venues where the NFL simply can’t go”.
THAT STATEMENT DOESN’T HOLD WATER. THERE HAS BEEN TEAMS IN THE “SMALLER MARKETS”, MEMPHIS, BIRMINGHAM (ALABAMA) ORLANDO, LAS VEGAS, OKLAHOMA, PORTLAND, SACRAMENTO … NONE OF THEM DREW VERY WELL.
HOW SMALL YOU TALKING? ROCHESTER (NY) ? MOBILE (ALABAMA) ? LANSING (MICHIGAN) ? CHATTANOOGA (TENN) ?
CAN’T SEE THIS WORKING. A LOT OF THE SMALLER CITIES ARE HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL CITIES AND DON’T EVEN SUPPORT COLLEGE FOOTBALL VERY WELL. THEY WON’T COME OUT FOR WATER DOWN PRO FOOTBALL. THIS HAS BEEN PROVEN BY MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL WHICH IS LOCATED IN THESE SO CALLED “SMALLER CITIES” AND THEY ALL STRUGGLE WITH ATTENDANCE.
I THINK THIS IS JUST MORE OF THE SAME , "BEEN THERE/DONE THAT " WITH A DIFFERENT SLANT.
WE HAVE A UNIQUE GREAT PRODUCT IN CANADA. THE GAME ITSELF IS FANTASTIC. DOESN’T NEED ANY TWEAKING UNLIKE THE NHL. THE CFL JUST NEEDS TO EXPAND FIRST TO 10 TEAMS AND THEN TO 12. OTTAWA AND QUEBEC CITY NEED TO HAVE TEAMS FOR 2012 AT THE LATEST. QUEBEC WOULD BE A SHOT IN THE ARM FOR THE BATTLE OF QUEBEC WITH THE ALS AND HELP ATTENDANCE WITH BOTH CITIES. CAN ALSO SEE A QUEBEC/OTTAWA OR QUEBEC/TORONTO RIVALTY STARTING TOO. KIND OF LIKE A FRENCH '/ENGLISH RIVALRY. THE NATIONS CAPITAL HAS TO HAVE A TEAM. THE OTTAWA/HAMILTON RIVALRY GROWING UP IN THE 60’S WAS THE BEST RIVALRY IN FOOTBALL. INTEREST IN THE CFL WOULD SHOOT UP. MOVE WINNEPEG BACK TO THE WEST AND YOU HAVE 5 + 5 EAST AND WEST. THEN AT SOME POINT YOU NEED TO PUT A TEAM IN THE MARITIMES TO MAKE THE LEAGUE A TRUE “CANADIAN” LEAGUE IE. COAST TO COAST. AND ANOTHER TEAM OUT WEST. PREFERABLY IN BC OR ALBERTA AND THEN YOU HAVE A 12 TEAM CFL… AWESOME. RATINGS, ATTENDANCE, INTEREST, WOULD ALL SKY ROCKET. WE DON’T NEED THE USA TO VALIDATE THE CFL. IT IS A GREAT PRODUCT JUST THE WAY IT IS. I WATCH NFL AND COLLEGE FOOTBALL AND THE CFL DOESN’T NEED TO TAKE A BACK SEAT TO EITHER PRODUCT.

[url=http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Will-they-play-for-35k.html]http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Wil ... r-35k.html[/url]
Base salary: $35,000. Punters, kickers, long snappers: $25,000.

Each team is permitted to sign a quarterback for an amount greater than $35,000.

Bonuses for top players are yet to be determined, but I was told it would be less than $10,000 per player.

Players on the championship team receive $5,000; losing players get $2,500.

So much for the $35M salary cap they were waving around. Somebody misplaced a decimal point.

Could be a good marketing ploy for the CFL – Look at the talent you can get for these bargain basement prices!!!

It will not happen, this nonsense will not get off the ground.