CFL vs NFL

I like both leagues for different reasons and some of the same reasons. But I guess American football needs 4 downs since they aren't as smart to figure out schemes to be able to get a first down in 3 downs. Of course, we know Canadian education is superior to the American system so it makes sense of course. 8)

Hope this helps you with the discussion, but two more points to correct...if you don't get a first down after three in US ball, would that be three downs? Like the US, teams use their "last down" to punt... that's third down up here and fourth down for y'all down there.

And the point on the missed FG only occurs IF the ball is not returned past the goal line... and that return makes for LOTS of long returns on missed FGs...the only time I remember that in the NFL was when Hester for Chicago returned one at the end of a half...and you can't return a missed FG in college football because the ball is automatically dea when it hits the end zone...

To funny,

Thanks for all the post.

Loads of information

I guess another way to look at the downs thing is like comparing it to software code, the smarter and more intellectual programmer is able to write code using the smallest space possible, less code, from what I understand anyways even though I'm no computer programmer. We are just smarter wanting to figure things out with less tries. Eh there merck, or can I call you merck index? 8)

I used to share the sentiments quoted below (I even wrote a report for grade 9 social studies back in the 80s that harped on the whole CFL versus NFL topic), but over time I’ve arrived at the belief that the fundamentals of CFL and NFL football are sufficiently similar that, given the economic situations of the respective leagues, it is not surprising that the overall level of speed, strength and fundamental abilities of players in the NFL is greater than that in the CFL.

Blocking is blocking.

Catching is catching.

Throwing is throwing.

Tackling is tackling.

Running is running.

Sure there are some differences, but on a really basic level, the players in both leagues employ extremely similar skill sets.

For a few areas, (e.g. defensive front) you can argue that NFL style defensive linemen (and in some extreme cases linebackers) do not fit a physical mold which is optimal for the wider Canadian field. But for the majority of positions, especially the “skilled” offensive positions and the defensive backfield, the two games are not different enough for us to pretend that CFL players are merely “different” rather than “inferior”.

I will grant that the difference is not as great as some folks will claim. I think a key difference is that players who make it in the NFL tend to be more mentally disciplined (onfield) and consistent than players found in the CFL. I think the starkest differences appear when you compare “the very best of the NFL” at a position to “the very best of the CFL” at a position. Or perhaps moreso when you compare “the very worst of the NFL” to “the very worst of the CFL”. My point is that the differences are most apparent when you look at outliers rather than the majority of players (though I think NFL teams tend to have better depth than CFL teams). When people bash the talent level in the CFL, they tend to cite in comparison players who are exceptional even within the NFL (e.g. Peyton Manning, LaDanian Tomlinson, Ray Lewis, Brian Urlacher).

And of course, in the end after analysis by analysis by analysis, or what people call analysis anyways, for me it ends up being a few things:

1. Yes, 99.9 percent of all football players want to play in the NFL mainly for the money, that's a given.

2. There are many, many available players and those that don't make it in the NFL are very, very good in their own right.

3. It's the Canadian Football League so it's just nice to see some of own guys play in it if they are good enough and the league would not require that so many be Canadians if they weren't, wouldn't want to embarras themselves on national TV.

4. We play Canadian football in Canada in order to win or have a chance at the Grey Cup, the national football championship of Canada, it was never mean't to be a league to have the "best" or "highest" profile players available. That's my understanding anyways.

There you go, my theory of Canadian football and the CFL in nutshell, the idiot's guide so to speak. :wink:

Can't we just end these stupid discussions about the NFLvsCFL?
We get the "same old" arguments and the usual silly comments.

NFL... Bigger.. Stronger.. Faster...

Too bad they can't play for the Grey Cup though court, too bad for them. It's the pinnacle of gridiron football trophies for me, regardless if you or millions of people regard their players as bigger, stronger, faster.

We really dont have any frame of reference.. love our game more exciting.. play one game on their field one on ours.. only way to be fair .. but in the end i still think they would come out on top.. game would be closer on our field and rules.. but i dont like our chances on their turf

NFL= fatter, slower , stupider,. CFL= Leaner, Meaner, Intellectually superior,(imports excluded).

well from what I see if you guys dont get a first down after two plays thats consider two.

LOL you guys get a point when you miss a fieldgoal (FREEBE)
[/quote]
if thats the case then if the nfl doesnt get a firt down after three plays then it should be considered three

and its not like the rouge happens on every missed field goal. in case you havent noticed there is always a guy back there that could return the for 6

Re- After 2nd down in Canadian football, There is The Option TO, Hoof or Goof, its not a prerequisite to Kick the ball away. Unfortunately the Canadian game, Namely CFL, has been bastardized by decades of Yankee coaching that has teams conceding points and making 20 yd net punts. :oops: did i say that :lol:

WOW my very first post, got this much feedback.

Thanks to all you CFL & NFL lovers.

I like football.

Back then the Bills were not an NFL team.

I like beer.

Can some of you guys go to the Buffalo Bills message boards and weigh in? I've run out of arguments and the ignorance is appalling.

[url=http://boards.buffalobills.com/showthread.php?p=1150176&posted=1#post1150176]http://boards.buffalobills.com/showthre ... ost1150176[/url]

It'd be much appreciated!!

Edit-- sorry is a "CFL vs. NFL" thread some clown put up there...only as a way to bash the CFL. Would be funny if a whole whack of votes for the CFL came flooding in!

Good intentions slodrive but I wouldn't get too involved there and upset if you know what I mean.

I see it as more expected than appalling.

Have you ever seen a more insular and inward looking western nation than the U.S.?

Just ignore it. It means very little.