cfl video game

I was seach the net when i came a cross this

"Bobby Ackels the president of the Bc lions was on a radio show today
and he said that a company in Vancouver is currently developing a CFL video game
He wasnt allowed to say who it was but he said it would be officially announced in a few months"

That awesome

Nvm It was a site and the date of the comment was in 2005 :frowning:

I know a video game, as well as gambling and pools and that, all help create a larger "fan" base for any league. But why is it that I just couldn't care less about these things? Yes, I'm older in my early 50's and realize young people today are different but really. I guess I'm just out of touch with reality to a certain extent or what's important, I don't know. :roll:

Earl, you’re not out of touch with what’s important, but you may be out of touch with what’s important to today’s youth. And they are one demographic that the CFL is trying to get back after losing a generation of fans in the 80s with all the blackout games.

well? the official announcement would have been online in 2005 too. Where is it?

It's really, really difficult to get the economics of a CFL video game to work. A full game for the newest consoles would cost over ten million dollars, closer to twenty.

EA has a facility in Vancouver

Im telling you right now.. With the new CFL commish I gurantee you he'll put forward a plan to the creation of a CFL video game.

Listen to any of his interviews/statements ect.. He's all about getting 'kids' to play football again. He wants to make the game attractive to young kids & how do you do that? market yourself better, what better way to market a sporting company then a video game. It works for the NFL/AFL/NHL/NBA/NCAA & so on.

I expect there will be a CFL video game in the next 3 years. Just wait & see.

I highly doubt it would cost that much. While I do agree the games are not produced because of a limited market and lack of people that would want to buy such a game, however I doubt it costs 10 million dollars to produce a video game.

I can see it being very costly to develop a video game from scratch. However, the basics are already there. The best option for the CFL is to piggy-back with existing titles.
EA sports for example could make some modifications to one of their existing NFL games to create a CFL version with very little additional cost.
Would the revenue from the game make it a worthwhile venture? I'm not sure it would. It may have to be subsidized by the league and flooded with sponsors.
Not sure if that's what people want or not.
I'd probably pick one up, it'd be nice to play a football game where you can use stadiums like Ivor Wynne and Canad Inns.
Anyway...many game developers could crank out a CFL version of an existing game pretty cheap and quick.

I highly doubt it would cost that much. While I do agree the games are not produced because of a limited market and lack of people that would want to buy such a game, however I doubt it costs 10 million dollars to produce a video game.
Seriously, 10 million is the bare minimum for a respectable video game nowadays on a PS3 or Xbox 360 console. You might be able to get away with 4-5 million for the Nintendo Wii or PS2 because the hardware is less sophisticated. [url=http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/hardware/crossplatform.ars/2]http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/ ... form.ars/2[/url]

And spending that much wouldn’t even produce a game remotely comparable to Madden actually, its the minimum to just get something out there, a good sports game is very hard to make. Madden has decades of human capital experience behind it because they’ve been putting out new games each year, they don’t have to remake the wheel each time, so its hard to say how much they really “spend” on each iteration but you can bet its far more than 10 million.

I think the CFL’s best shot for a video game is to pay a publisher to make a version of it in exchange for a cut of any profits. EA, 2K Sports and Midway all put out football games. It would make a lot more sense to use an existing game engine, and just pay them to make the neccessary adjustments for the CFL and incorporate CFL players. Or at least, put at CFL mode in Madden. It’s always bothered me that EA hasn’t done this themselves.

The only alternative I’ve thought of is producing a CFL “mini game” that is downloadable… the new systems and PC are all capable of downloading games. This makes smaller developemnt possible for not such crazy costs.

Yep, the game is on the way, Bob is having it developed and he is going to give all season ticket holders for the cats a free version of the game.