CFL Video Game Poll

I am interested to know if there is enough interest in producing a CFL Video game.

This subject has been beaten to death. Look at past threads on this topic!

So , beat it again, till make one !!

I"m not sure what this poll would tell you since the sample size will be minuscule.

Id love to have a game, if it were close to Madden or NCAA, id have no problem preordering and paying $60-$70
I do know a lot of my friends would think a CFL game would be awesome, Im sure if one were to be made, and was made PROPERLY (ie, as good as Madden or better... which is HIGHLY possible with how madden is...) that it would have above average success in Canada... Kids play video games all the time. Why not make a game, which would garner interest starting with children and teens... which IMO would see increases in interest towards CFL games and attendance for the future. A video game is one of the best marketing tools around, if its quality made.

I agree with many of your points, but I just don't think there's the market for it. How many people out there are big enough CFL fans to buy anything related to the CFL? Now, how many of those people how or plan to soon own a game console? How many of them would be willing to pay that amount for the game? If its released annually like Madden, how many of them will be paying that much every year? Not enough for a company that makes the game to profit.

People tend to underestimate what making an AAA level game like Madden costs. You're looking at tens of millions of dollars. For a game sold at retail for $50, the developer gets back approximately $16 (much higher if you buy online from places like Steam, but you can't do that with console games). That means for a game with only a $5 million budget, you'd need to sell 312,500 copies to break even. Selling that many copies of a game in Canada isn't anywhere near common (and since a CFL game would be extremely niche anywhere else, you're really relying on Canada for most of the sales).

So this only gets done one of two ways:

1. You make an indie level game with a smaller budget and don't sell it at retail, which gets you lower costs and higher margins (but will not get you a game at Madden's quality level).
  2. You partner up with someone who already has a Football game to make a CFL mode, because a lot of the work is already done.

Madden would be great but there would be arguments over player ratings big time. Especially since they would make sure the NFL players are better as that is their main game.

I don't think it would be that far fetched to think we could sell up to 500,000 copies in Canada. It's something gamers have been waiting for in Canada. That makes it very different from any other game out there. With the ability to patch and do roster updates you also would be able to ride one CFL game for years and years, even make it available for digital purchase only maybe?

The lastest numbers from over 3 years ago, which means more than likely these numbers have doubled considering they're only 2 years from the release of those systems.

Nintendo Wii at 1 million consoles (more likely 2 million in 2011)
XBOX 360 870,000 consoles (more likely 1.74 million)
PS3 520,000 (more likely 1.04 Milion)

That's 4.74 Million game consoles, not including PC or handhelds, or Iphones and Ipads.

UFC 2009 sold 184,000 copies in 2 months just in Canada! Tell me CFL wouldn't get 50,000 more than UFC? I personally think we can double those numbers.

There are seriously gamers into their 40's that would love an alternative to Madden with the CFL. I have heard people talkin about a CFL video game going back into the late 80's.

Honestly, the CFL should even be interested even if it comes out in a loss of money, (even thought I don't think it will) because kids at school talk Madden when it comes out, a new CFL game would change the playing field. Kids will laugh and say things like "The CFL doesn't even have a video game" i heard that back in 1991 myself. So that's 20 years of the CFL's name getting bashed in every school in the country, all because of something the CFL doesn't think is important, but its quite possibly THE MOST IMPORTANT ADVERTISING CAMPAIGN THEY COULD EVER ACHIEVE! A good CFL game will result on more kids growin up on the game and higher attendance in the future.
PS3 520,000.

UFC 2009 sold over a million overall and thus had a budget representing that. If they budgeted for selling 200k, it wouldn't have been as good of a game as it was.

Few games actually give out Canadian sales numbers specifically, but if you extrapolate based on the idea that buying patterns in the US are similar you're looking at something near Call of Duty level popularity to break 500,000 in Canada. Almost no games get there, and a CFL game would not be an exception.

(And "just two months" doesn't really mean anything here, console games with very few exceptions do 90% of their sales in the first two weeks. After two months you're looking at pretty miniscule numbers.)

How many people attend CFL games each season? A CFL video game could be sold in with season ticket packages,besides its not like they have to produce a new game every year, just a one time release and scheduled production runs would work, IMO don't underestimate the popularity of ANY type of football in the U.S.A. .It could be where the majority of a CFL video game would be purchased.

How many people attend NHL games? That doesn't translate into NHL 2012 selling 10 million units.

It actually sold under 500k in the first week WORLDWIDE (a franchise record high!). That's for a game that actually has a decent market outside Canada due to the US being in the NHL and having European modes and such. People need to put their CFL fandom aside and look at some actual data on this. The idea that a CFL game will move half a million units "just because" isn't realistic.

...agreed, do those of you that say this would work think for a second that the brainstorming gurus and accountants at EA Sports haven't discussed this already?...of course they have, and therefore by the very lack of a game on the market have already determined it would be unprofitable for them...

...it'd be like walking into Porsche and saying to the board 'have you ever thought of a minivan?'

SO you think the "gurus" at EA or the NFL are going to promote the CFL over the Madden NFL game? obviously another company would have to make and promote it.

Comparing automakers the way you have , are you sure your a CFL fan?? :twisted: The Canadian game is more exciting than the U.S version and a one time production run could work, providing its a one time thing and the game does not compete against itself in the market! IE_ 2012 version vs 2013 version, IMHO

Sports games already don't compete against themselves in the market. They're very "short tail" games. All the sales are early. The sales of 4 months after release are insignificant. It's front loaded, even more so then most games.

EA already does an NCAA Football game alongside Madden, and that works for them. They also did NHL 11 and NHL Slapshot in the same year (Slapshot incidentally was a ton of fun for people who don't play many video games).

To get the kind of sales you're talking about in Canada, you're looking at a game sales wise on par with stuff like Oblivion. Not many games sell like that (the sequel to Oblivion is Skyrim, which has a budget estimated at nearly $100 million). It's simply not realistic to expect that's going to happen for a CFL game when the NHL series doesn't even get there.

Ideally you'd get a CFL mode added to Madden because the production costs would be so much lower due to how much of the game is already built, but if EA's not interested you're stuck. Building one from scratch up to similar levels would be too expensive.

Forget a CFL Mode on madden game as a side option, Thats not going to happen. as stated above.
What is wrong with a one time Canadian football rules video game release, that would be available online worldwide until the production run is sold up? Again FORGET_ E. A. or other high volume production runs.
It is like saying the CFL shouldn't exist because its not as economical lucrative as the NFL.

You mean other then that you're never going to sell enough of them to make back the cost?

Nothing, if what you want is an indie-level game. You could do that for at most $1 million and it might sell enough to be viable. But your expectations for the type of game you're getting need to be set appropriately, because it's not going to be up to par with an NFL game (particularly on graphics, which is where a lot of the money goes).

Of course then people will complain that the CFL game isn't as good as the NFL game and it'll just be a while new thing. :stuck_out_tongue:

...my point Mass was this: if a CFL video game was profitable, one would've been on the market already

...video game makers do not have problems making games for niche markets on obscure sports if they believe there is a reasonable profit to be made:

http://www.trueknowledge.com/images/thumbs/180/250/AFL_Premiership_2005.jpg

...Hurling?...they made a gawddamn video game for Hurling even....so if [insert name of game producer here] can make a buck off a bunch of irish guys who follow hurling doesn't it stand to reason they've also explored the canadian market and have come to the realization that producing a CFL video game is a wasted effort?

Hurling? What is that?
Guys who compete to see who can spew chunks the furthest? :?

And if video game manufacturers develop games for the Arena Football League, then the CFL has a decent shot. :thup:

Hey, Cricket's pretty big internationally!

The best example of this is why you see a FIFA Soccer game (which actually sells really well), but not a MLS Soccer game. Nobody in Europe (the heart of the market) would buy an MLS game, but people in NA WILL buy a FIFA one. (Some eerie similarity out of MLS fans who want a video game.)

edit - I think that AFL game is Australian rules football, not the Arena league.

correct me if I'm wrong...but is hurling a form of field hockey?