CFL Trivia

Wow, didn't know this:

Before the 1967 season, the B.C. Lions Joe Kapp made the decision to return to the U.S. to play pro football. The AFL's Oakland Raiders, San Diego Chargers, and Houston Oilers were heavily pursuing him. Kapp decided to sign a contract with Houston, but the BC Lions and the CFL complained to Pete Rozelle, the NFL’s commissioner accusing the Houston Oilers of tampering. Rozelle after his investigation, announced the Houston Oilers had indeed tampered by signing Kapp while he was under contract to the BC Lions, so he voided the contract.

Kapp ended up signing with the NFL's Minnesota Vikings in a multi-player "trade" between the CFL and NFL teams, one of the very few transactions to ever occur between the two leagues.

The Minnesota Vikings in 1965 had drafted running back Jim Young out of Queens University in Kingston, Ontario. He had spent the 1965 and 1966 seasons with the Vikings, but wanted to return to Canada. The B.C. Lions were very interested in acquiring Young, but the Toronto Argonauts had his CFL rights.

The Minnesota Vikings general manager was Jim Finks, who had brought Kapp to Canada in 1959, and their head coach was Bud Grant who had faced Kapp while coaching the Winnipeg Blue Bombers. Both Finks and Grant thought Joe Kapp would be the best replacement for Fran Tarkenton who had been traded to the New York Giants. To make this transaction possible, the BC Lions traded all-star defensive lineman Dick Fouts, and future CFL Hall of Fame running back Bill Symons to the Toronto Argonauts for the CFL rights to future CFL Hall of Fame wide receiver Jim Young. They then managed getting Kapp waived out of the CFL.

The Minnesota Vikings managed getting Jim Young waived out of the NFL. The expansion New Orleans Saints wanted Young and it took some work from Finks to keep them from claiming Young.

Kapp, waived from the CFL, was free to sign with the Minnesota, who had previously claimed his NFL playing rights from Washington. On the other hand, Jim Young waived from the NFL signed with the BC Lions.

Interesting read. Where did you find this?

...Joe Kapp one a Cup with the Lions....but i bet Bud Grant would've rather had Kenny Ploen when he coached the Vikes.... :wink: Last thing i remember about Kapp was his Kraft Peanut Butter commercials on the tube....boy he sure sold me on that product to remember that all these years... :lol:

I never really liked Joe Kapp...................but for the life of me I can't remember why.

Mind you, as you grow old, there are two things that start to 'go'........the first is your memory...............and I can't remember what the second one is..................

Bahahahahaha.... that's amazing. Thanks!

Although I am a huge Kenny Ploen fan, I don't think he had the same qualities that brought Kapp to the NFL. Kapp was big by the standards of the day 6'2'', whereas Ploen was the prototypical CFL QB, fast, mobile and able to play both ways. Kapp was also 3 years younger than Ploen. Kapp was brought to the Vikings by Jim Fink, who was the same guy who brought Kapp to the CFL so it would seem that Fink was going to live or die with Kapp, no matter where he ended up.

Could it be his performance as the very unlikable "Walking Boss" in the original version of "The Longest Yard?"

Since this is a trivia thread: As of Dec. 2005 Joe Kapp is the only quarterback to play in the Rose Bowl, Canada's Grey Cup, and the NFL's Super Bowl.

[quote="papazoola"]...Joe Kapp one a Cup with the Lions....but i bet Bud Grant would've rather had Kenny Ploen when he coached the Vikes.... :wink: Last thing i remember about Kapp was his Kraft Peanut Butter commercials on the tube....boy he sure sold me on that product to remember that all these years... :lol:[/quote

ONE A CUP ...or won one cup....ouch... i better go back to school...MadJack i was tired .... :lol: :lol:

Kapp was one of my favourites. He was an exciting QB. Anybody but me remember his endorsements for Squirrel Peanut Butter?

Note to self: Read all the posts first.

Was it Kraft Peanut Butter?

...YESSSSS.....i believe it was Squirrel Peanut Butter.....made by Kraft....i think...Man this is sure one long off-season :lol: