CFL TRIVIA for Cat Fans

In what year did the TiCats draft Ken Rysdale of Western and Tom Skypeck of McGill and what position did they play ?
Here's a clue . It was the draft in which Montreal had 19 picks .

Pat Lynch (think old)

I'm gonna say .... 1963.

1 Like

Tom you are good ! Now what position did they play ?

Pat Lynch (the old, wrinkled dude)

In the 1973 draft , Harold Grozdanich and Brian Sopatyk were the first territorial pick and first round pick in the draft, respectively . They were both from Boise St . and were taken by the BC Lions .. What makes them special ?

Pat Lynch (the old dude)

Hmmm ???? ....
I'm gonna say .... Running Backs (????)

Can you imagine the Cats drafting 2 quarterbacks ? Yeah they did .

Pat Lynch (the Mayor of Aged Acres)

1 Like

Can't imagine ! Wow !!

Stranger things have happened though ... haven't they ???

1 Like

How did Montreal get 19 picks in 1972? Was that the year they re-entered the league as the Concordes? I'm thinking it wasn't the 70s, more likely the 80's that happened, followed by the US expansion, and the relocation of the Stallions?

Edit: Just reread the posts, and see I am all out of whack on dates. It was 1963 that they had all those draft picks. How?

1 Like

In the early drafts, usually after round 4 or so , teams would drop out while others hung in . In 1963 , 5 teams drafted in the 7th round . The 9th round had 2 teams drafting(Als and Stamps). From rounds 10 to 18 , just the Als drafted . Round 19 had the Als and the Esks . The last round was #20 with just the Als taking Vic Messler HB Alberta .

Pat Lynch (drafting is more of an art/science form today)

1 Like

Thought it was more of a...

1 Like

Not with Burke and Allemang rolling the "number cubes".

Pat Lynch (Ken Stabler had snake eyes)

1 Like

Since they're sailors, that should be the blew team...

2 Likes

Well played... not your branch anyway

1 Like

These players represented the first Cdn players drafted from American universities . I went back to 1952 and 1973 appeared to be the year that the door opened .

Pat Lynch (the old person)

1 Like

Name two Westdale Warriors who are in the football hall of fame and another Warrior who played in the CFL and NHL .

Pat Lynch (the old person)

1 Like

Sorry Pat I went to Barton, or I might know. The one name that automatically springs to mind is Russ Jackson. Who the second player is I haven't a clue (and don't wish to spoil things by asking a friend, The Google). The only possible hockey player I can think of is Pat Quinn - but I believe he was from the east end and likely would have gone to Cathedral. Hopefully someone else has better skills than I. Edit: Was it Peter Dalla Riva?

Mike , you are correct with Russ Jackson . Here's a clue for the other hall of famer . He was the first overall draft pick of the Argos but played for the Vikings and Lions .

Pat Lynch (Mike is a great name)

1 Like

Obviously it is Dirty 30 himself - Jim Young. Did not know he was a "Warrior" as well. :wink: :mask:

Jim's brother Jack was our quarterback as well as goaltender on championship hockey teams coached by Harry Neale . The Young family genes should have been cloned . :grinning:

Pat Lynch (an amazingly average football player)

1 Like

Ron Howell was a Westdale Warrior who was a CFL star for the Cats . He also played for the New York Rangers (4 games) which was 4 times the total of Don Cherry .
Ron's brother Harry was a Hockey Hall of Famer . Born and raised in Hamilton .

Pat Lynch (a wrinkled Warrior)

1 Like