CFL to mandate compensation policy for pillaging?

Yes it is my opinion that compensation isn't required.
As to coaches being well paid, did you know that on most teams there are a good number of players making more money than their coaches. Sure Jones is making $500,00 with bonus incentives, but that is as head coach and GM. I bet there are probably at least 70 - 100 players or more making more money than Maas is making in Ottawa. He is on his first contract as a coordinator so don't think he is making anything near what other OC are making such as Dickenson was in Calgary or LaPo in Winnipeg. You also have to remember that coaches do not have a pension plan unlike the player who's pension contributions are matched by the club. The chance for advancement for coaches is so limited in the CFL, who know when an opportunity like this will happen again for Maas if denied this chance.

Maas resigned from the Redblacks Sun. night, He has quit, but,
The Redblacks have not yet released him from his contract,

Should they hold Maas hostage and demote him to waterboy until they get the compensation they want?

nobody is denying him the chance. Just that it maybe should come at a cost to the team breaking a contract. seems reasonable.

allowing a player out of his contract to go to the NFL is much different than allowing a coach under contract to leave for another CFL team. (and division rival in many cases.)

Never would a CFL team allow a player under contract to leave for another CFL team on a whim. (unless the team had already intended to release him anyway)

Many contracted CFL players could have better monetary opportunities on another CFL team but we don't see clubs allowing this to occur as with administrative/football ops.

The best example is guys who dreamed of playing for their home team. Justin Phillips wanted to finish his career in Ottawa, but Ottawa had to trade for him. Calgary didn't just release outright. Nor should they have.

That would punish the coach looking to switch teams unnecessarily and unfairly.

It also doesn't address the issue. Ottawa didn't prevent Maas from talking to Edmonton. What you really want is for every team in the future to demand compensation from Ottawa.

Honestly, teams who did not request compensation in the past should have. You wouldn't release your back up QB because he's certain he can get a starting gig somewhere else in the league. You trade him or let him play out his contract. If teams want your strengths, let them pay for them.

This is a very common sense approach.

And yet, we can probably expect it to be far more complicated. :wink:

They can. Should they? That's a tougher question. It's not particularly fair that they lose an asset for nothing just because Edmonton needs a coach. At the same time, Edmonton followed tradition and let Jones go for nothing, and they could be screwed over if they can't give someone a promotion under similar conditions.

The league should put a policy in place on this so that there is at least some kind of consistency and set expectations.

IMO, there should be no compensation for a coach who gets a HC job coming from an co-ord position or lower ranks. I can buy not compensating either if it's a HC to HC move that includes a GM or other upper level title. Where compensation should maybe come into play is in the movement of additional coaches still under contract who follow the coach to the new job. Replacing one coach is easier to do than it is to replace half or all of your offensive or defensive staff. What works for me is a draft pick with the round commensurate with the number of coaches that move over. For example - one coach - 5th rd pick, two coaches 4th rd, 4 coaches - 2nd round or higher pick.

With regards to the Maas case is 1. don't grant permission for a coach to interview if you have no intention to release him if he gets the job and 2. if you grant permission and have intentions on compensation you have to make that clear when you give permission. I've seen a lot of tweeting about how labor law would apply, and while it would likely be applicable in a court of law, a lot of how professional sports operates doesn't follow labor practices that the rest of us non pro athletes. If the Redblacks did not implicitly set forth any conditions when they allowed Maas to interview for the job then they should not receive any compensation.

The tweets about Maas' hiring are starting to come out now so it'll be interesting to see what happens I terms of compensation.

Unbelievable this league lacks the most simple of policies to help police coaches who jump ship in the middle of a contract, which is a very regular occurence.

No doubt teams should be compensated when situations like Jones and Maas happen, all they have do to is map out some simple guidelines but I won't hold my breath we ever see this happen.

I love this league until the day I die but this whole "I dont give a f***" attitude about the drug policy and tampering/compensation for coaches jumping ship is incredibly bush league. Tampering happens in every league but they should follow suit and at least pretend like they care when it happens.

They did intend to release him, so long as compensation was agreed to and met. It's not as though there was never any chance that Maas would be released.

I agree with "2", but if Edmonton at least knew prior to hiring him, then they still knew. Knowing earlier would have been better, but it doesn't sound as though they only found out upon making their decision.

I have a couple questions for those who are opposed to any form of compensation in such cases involving football ops/administrative personnel leaving for other CFL teams as desired while still under contract.

1. Do you also feel contracted players should be freely able to move to another CFL club at any given time without compensation to the abandoned team? (whether for better pay, increased playing time or preferred location etc)

2. and do you feel players should receive guaranteed contracts as do football ops/administrative personnel?

CFL News ?@CFL_News
RT .@garylawless
so @EdmontonEsks and @REDBLACKS have agreed to mediation on Maas file @CFL #CFL

wolverine29 wrote: With regards to the Maas case is 1. don't grant permission for a coach to interview if you have no intention to release him if he gets the job and 2. if you grant permission and have intentions on compensation you have to make that clear when you give permission.

They did intend to release him, so long as compensation was agreed to and met. It's not as though there was never any chance that Maas would be released.

I agree with "2", but if Edmonton at least knew prior to hiring him, then they still knew. Knowing earlier would have been better, but it doesn't sound as though they only found out upon making their decision.

For me it's a transparency issue. It's that "IF" which is at the heart of the issue. If Ottawa stipulated they wanted compensation prior to the interview, whatever it may be, then by pursuing Maas it would imply an agreement on terms. Or did Ottawa throw that in after Edmonton offered Maas the job. That's the big question here, when Ottawa informed Edmonton of their demands and I'm not clear on the timing of the different circumstances. They may have intended to release him but any terms and strings should be outlined in advance, that way the team has it's eyes wide open at the start. I'm guessing that'll likely play a significant factor in what the mediator decides.

If it comes to pass that Hervey needs to compensate Ottawa, he'll have bungled the whole situation about as badly as you could, including getting fined.

You have to negotiate for compensation because there's no policy on it at the league level, and that takes time. If the guy winds up not getting the job, that's a waste of time, so why figure that out before the interview?

And yes, contract law applies. Maas can't get out of his contract unless Ottawa allows him or he has a specific out clause. If Ottawa refuses to let him out for nothing, then that's that.

It's being sent to mediation, so likely there will be some compensation coming later. The league needs to lay some ground rules on this stuff.

Jeff Hunt claims that Edmonton knew the condition prior to hiring Maas, but of course that's only one side of the story.

So, Lets get this straight, The Redblacks who have been in the League for all of 24 months and were given or acquired most of their players and almost all of their staff from other teams, with no Compensation given,
Suddenly, they feel that they should be compensated for losing their OC Jason Maas,
Who by the way, Has been with the Redblacks for exactly 12 months and 11 days! :roll: