CFL to mandate compensation policy for pillaging?

[b]CFL News ?@CFL_News
This (Maas compensation question) could require the intervention of #CFL commissioner @Commish13...via @TimCBaines #RedBlacks #Esks

CFL News ?@CFL_News
Maas' resignation does not legally release him from his contract, which is matter Orridge must now preside over. #CFL via @TSN_Sports

CFL News ?@CFL_News
.@Commish13 to preside over Jason Maas hiring dispute http://www.tsn.ca/redblacks-seek-compen ... g-1.408645#CFL via @TSNDaveNaylor, @garylawless @TSNRyanRishaug

CFL News ?@CFL_News
#RedBlacks owner claims #Esks ignored their request for compensation for Jason Maas http://www.tsn.ca/redblacks-seek-compen ... g-1.408645#CFL via @TSN_Sports

CFL News ?@CFL_News
.@JeffHuntOT - "Esks knew we were withholding consent to hire Jason until matter of compensation had been addressed." #CFL via @TSN_Sports

CFL News ?@CFL_News
.@JeffHuntOT - "They (#Esks) simply ignored that request and hired him (Jason Maas) anyway." #CFL #RedBlacks via @TSN_Sports[/b]

How many years we’re left on Maas’s contract?

Geez anther RedBlacks - Eskimos off season spat. Will watch with great interest how Mr. Orridge handles this one or does he cower to the Western Block again.

I don't know how many, but it's at least one. If his contract was over this year, compensation wouldn't be an issue as Edmonton could just wait until January 1 when the contract is expired and sign him freely.

The league clearly needs a policy of some kind though, because this has turned into a circus act. We need some consistency.

[b]Andrew Bucholtz ?@AndrewBucholtz
No compensation policy is like not having a clear policy on championship bidding or an active drug-testing program. Oh, wait. #CFL

Andrew Bucholtz ?@AndrewBucholtz
Anyway, regardless of if you like compensation, it's extremely CFL to not have a league-wide policy on an every-offseason occurrence.[/b]

Gee it looks like those cheating Eskimos are at it again.

I was under the impression that Maas' contract expired in January and that he was on a one year deal.
Compensation for coaches movement has occurred many times in the NFL including Parcells and Belichek. It always involved draft picks.
I think it should be the same in the CFL.
Two picks for a HC. (first and second)
One pick for a Coordinator ( Second)
One pick for a position coach ( third)

But teams should have the right to refuse permission first.

No compensation required on a promotion. There is very little chance for advancements for coaches as it is within a 9 team league. All teams in the CFL have hired coaches away from another team including Ottawa when they hired Maas and also when they hired Campbell away from Calgary. What I don't agree with is the hiring of a coach while still under contract on a lateral move and not a title promotion. The good coaches put in countless hours during the season working long hours, no 8 - 5 work day for them so they can advance their career. No way should they be held back from a chance at promotion due to compensation owed.

I think if you make it clear what the costs are then the situation becomes much more manageable.

If Team A wants my coordinator who is under contract for any reason then fine but it will cost them a second round pick.

You can grab my HC but it will cost you a first and second.

The Parcels/Belichek/Gruden deals are all the exception not the norm. Seattle lost Dan Quinn to the Falcons and Gus Bradley to the Jaguars in back to back years. Bruce Arians went from Indianapolis to Arizona. Countless other examples none of which cost a team a draft choice.

If it's a one year deal, there's no problem. If Maas wants the job, all he has to do is refuse to sign an extension. The contract ends December 31, and January 1 he's under no contract and is free to sign anywhere, with no compensation of any kind required. Edmonton had permission to speak to him before his contract ended, so it's all legit.

This is only an issue if there's another year left, as at that point he needs Ottawa's approval to get out of his contract. If they want something for that, they're holding the power, as they can refuse to release him and at that point he can't legally coach anywhere else.

True. But this is a messy area.
Edit: This is in response to G&W

If that’s an opinion, that’s fair. If it’s a statement, it’s incorrect. Ottawa can decide to refuse to release him from his contract without compensation, in which case he’s stuck.

There is very little chance for advancements for coaches as it is within a 9 team league. All teams in the CFL have hired coaches away from another team including Ottawa when they hired Maas and also when they hired Campbell away from Calgary. What I don't agree with is the hiring of a coach while still under contract on a lateral move and not a title promotion. The good coaches put in countless hours during the season working long hours, no 8 - 5 work day for them so they can advance their career. No way should they be held back from a chance at promotion due to compensation owed.
Coaches are well paid for those hours, and the idea that they're some special snowflakes who should just be exempt from having to fulfill their end of a contract if they don't feel like it, while also getting their full term even if they get fired for gross incompetence, is really something.

Maybe this should work both ways: Coaches can get out for a promotion at will without compensation, and teams can cut coaches at will without compensation. That’s more equal.

No, see, this is where it becomes dicey. The practice to let coaches out of their contracts for a better opportunity is not a right that coaches have, it's a courtesy that teams extend to them. The team should have the right to restrict movement or request compensation because they "own the asset".

But whichever way you go, you need to also live with the consequences. If Steinauer or Maas is annoyed at the team's behaviour and it hurts the relationship, that's the risk you have to take.

And there is.

Not sure if that applied to Campbell and all the other examples given previously.

Yup and if a coach wants to pout or be a negative influence over this then they can live with that anchor. Far more damaging to them

Totally agree there. It should be up to each individual team to decide. Shouldn't be setting up something that is mandatory like one team giving up a draft pick or something like that. That'd kill the league IMO.

How would that kill the league?

His team just poached a head coach and it sounds like an entire staff along with him. If they couldn't do that for free, it'd hurt his team and thus "kill the league". :cowboy:

Ah...gotcha.

I think that Ottawa is being extremely hypocritical here. Yes they may own the legal right to the contract. The common convention has always been to release a coach from the contract when a promotion is given. Teams will often do this for players as well to seek a chance in the NFL.

I know that Campbell was hired as Calgary's defensive coordinator in 2012. I do not know the terms of that contract (if anyone does, please let me know) but it would likely have been for more than one year. The REDBLACKS hired him in 2013. Did they pay/give compensation?

I sincerely hope that all teams refuse permission for Ottawa to talk with any staff on their teams for many years.

Ottawa has been given a great number of concessions to make them viable right from the start. Now that they have to play with the rest of the league on equal terms, they start to whine. Time to put on big boy pants Ottawa!