(cfl talk) new segment called BLAST FROM THE PAST 'PIGSKIN HEROES'

Welcome to the newest featured segment called BLAST FROM THE PAST 'PIGSKIN HEROES' - CFL stars and legends'

Each week we will provide TWO players fans either already know, may have forgotten about, or just never knew that much about.

This week for the debut feature. We have b defensive player, and (1) offensive player.[/b]

What will also make this more fun is the contribution of you the fans. Reply with your own pictures, videos, stories, fun statistics,etc

We will try each week to incorporate inductions around a theme of the CFL weeks schedule. If there is a rivalry or rematch game, we may induct players from those two teams.

Lets begin!

PIGSKIN HEROES #1

LB TYRONE JONES, Winnipeg Blue Bombers - Saskatchewan Roughriders, B.C Lions

Born in St. Mary's, Georgia, Ty's football career began at Camden County High School, Camden County, Georgia. Jones played his college football at Southern University. He started his 9-year CFL career in 1983, eventually playing eight seasons with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers (1983 to 1987 and 1989 to 1991), one with the Saskatchewan Roughriders (1992) and one with the B.C. Lions (1993). Though not drafted by the NFL, he tried out with the Phoenix Cardinals in 1988, playing one game for them.
He was a four-time CFL and five-time division All-Star. He still holds the Winnipeg career sack record (98) along with Grey Cup records for most sacks in a game (four) and most career Grey Cup sacks (five). He won the CFL's Most Outstanding Defensive Player Award in 1985 and was on winning Grey Cup teams in 1984 and 1990 (winning the Grey Cup Most Valuable Player in 1984).[1][2]
Jones was diagnosed with inoperable brain cancer (a teratoma) in August 2005 and fought the disease for nearly three years, dying on June 10, 2008 at the age of 46.[3][4][2] His teratoma was discovered when he blew a tooth from his tumor out of his nose.[3] Jones had three sons.[5]
In 2012, he was inducted into the Canadian Football Hall of Fame.

WR TONY CHAMPION, Hamilton Tiger-Cats

A multi-sport star, Champion lived up to his name as a football standout at the high school, college and pro level. A 1981 Humboldt grad, he was an all-district player on the Vikings' 1979 undefeated, 13-0 Class AA state champion football team. As a senior he quarterbacked Humboldt to a 10-1 season and was selected All-West Tenn., 2nd Team All-State and Humboldt Player of the Year. In basketball Champion earned All-District and All-Region as Humboldt finished state runner-up. In track he placed 4th in state in the 330 yd. low hurdles as a junior and qualified for the state as a senior, but elected to attend graduation instead of competing at the state meet.

Playing football at the Univ. of Tenn. Martin (1981-84), Champion was All-Gulf South Conference, had 84 career points and tied a school record with a 100-yard kickoff return. As a junior he surpassed 1,000 receiving yards and set school records for receptions in a season (39) and most yards single game (181 yards on 3 catches). He was a pre-season All-American before suffering knee injury as a senior.

Champion signed as free agent with Dallas, San Diego, and Green Bay in the NFL, but narrowly missed roster cuts.

He achieved all-star status in the Canadian Football League, playing for the Hamilton Tiger Cats eight seasons, 1985-1992. For his career he had 340 receptions for 5,498 yards and 37 TD's. In 1989 Champion was runner-up as the CFL Most Outstanding Player, Hamilton's Most Valuable Player, winner of the Frank Gibson and Terry Evanshen trophies, and set a team season record for touchdowns with 15 on the year.

Champion's circus touchdown catch in the 1989 Grey Cup championship game was called "the greatest catch in football." Champion had 2 touchdowns and 106 yards receiving playing with cracked ribs in what many consider the greatest CFL game ever played. Hamilton would go down in defeat to Saskatchewan on a last minute field goal but Champion's catch stands as a moment of pure CFL brilliance.

GREAT ARTICLE ABOUT KENT AUSTIN/TONY CHAMPION

Since they were 17 years old, Tony Champion and Kent Austin have crossed paths at big moments.
With Austin’s team facing an elimination game within 50 hours, Friday another of those moments.
Champion starred for the Tiger-Cats from 1985-92 with a 1656-yard, 95 catch, 15-touchdown campaign in 1989 when he made “The Catch? which forced the Saskatchewan Roughriders, with Austin himself at quarterback, to kick a last-play field goal to win the Grey Cup.

He is returning to Hamilton yesterday for the first time in 23 years, “to help support the team.?
Ticats director of fan experience Steve Lowe and his staff have been reconnecting with Ticat legends over the past few years and finally got Champion here from Tennessee with his daughter Kiara, who was born in Hamilton in 1990.
“I think it’s important to stay in touch with your history,? Austin says. “We believe in tradition and focusing on the right things as it relates to that tradition. It helps you stay committed at a deeper level to the franchise you play for.?
Austin is still pondering whether the Ticat legend will formally address the current players while he’s in town for Sunday’s game, but if he does Champion knows exactly the message he’ll convey.
“I try to tell people go out there and not get mad at somebody else, Champion said. “Do your job. If you do you job, I do my job, he does his job, we’re going to win.?
It was pointed out to Champion that the ball-hawking, ferocious defence of today’s Ticats is very similar to the defence that powered his teams to the Grey Cup championship in 1986 and runner-up spots in 1985 and in the ’89 SkyDome Classic against Austin.
“That’s how you have to do it,? he replied. “Right about now, Kent is missing a quarterback so you haven’t got a lot of the offence you want. So you have to make the defensive plays.?
Champion kept track of the transition from Ivor Wynne Stadium to Tim Hortons Field which he visited for the first time yesterday and gave it a five-star review. But he did mention that the Cats of previous eras did have a defined home field advantage because of the proximity of the stands, and the angry vocal fans in them, to the opposition players. He and Austin recalled quarters being thrown at visiting players.
The Argos, of course, were and still are the most eagerly anticipated targets of local fan abuse, but the bulk of that has been limited to the regular season, particularly on Labour Day, because the Ticats and Cats don’t see each other much in the playoffs.
For a pair of teams so indelibly linked to each other by highways and Labour Days, and playing in a four-team conference, the Tiger-Cats and Argonauts have met shockingly few times in the post-season. This will be just their fifth playoff tilt in the last 28 years. That’s because throughout their 65-year history in the “modern? CFL they’ve rarely both been good at the same time.
Champion played the Argos twice in the playoffs, losing the 1987 eastern semifinal but reaching the 1986 Grey Cup game, which they won, by beating Toronto 59-56 in a two-game home-and-home total point series they trailed by 14 heading into the second match at Ivor Wynne.
“Everybody lets you know about Toronto,? Champion says. “They told me when I got here that I don’t like Toronto. I said, ‘ Why don’t I like Toronto?? ‘We just don’t.’ I had to be taught to dislike those guys….and it didn’t take long. But it’s all good, and fun.?
When the Cats and Riders met for the 1989 Grey Cup, it wasn’t the first time that Austin edged out Champion for a major football honour. In 1980 Austin was the quarterback on the state of Tennessee’s first all-star team, and Champion was the quarterback on the second all-star team.
In 1989, Champion didn’t disclose to outsiders until after the Cup game that he was playing with broken ribs, and gave post-game interviews lying on his back while spitting blood. Somehow the pain didn’t prevent him from reaching what had appeared to be an unreachable pass from Mike Kerrigan, and impossibly contorting his body to haul it in.
“It might be one of the greatest catches, given the situation and the nature of the game and the fact that they were off the field with that down, that I’ve ever seen,? Austin said, “and it meant I had to go back on the field again.?
Champion said that because it was a third down and his team’s season would have ended without a catch, he had to make the play….as he will suggest to current players about Sunday: just do it.
What Austin likes about introducing Ticat legends to current players a generation, or more, younger is the human embodiment of possibility.
“Especially when you see guys like Tony who have accomplished so much, and why that’s important,? Austin explained. “ And now you have an opportunity to be one of those guys, and leave your own mark and be part of the history of this franchise.?

very nice and well done. cheers

Guys, I get it - some of you don't likeActionNews, and his information can be sourced in a dubious manner. But that doesn't mean you should pop into each of his many threads and contribute nothing but to harass him.

Instead, head over to your Ignore List and set it to ignore any members you don't want to see topics/posts from.

Sully good moderating. Glad that everyone can join in and bring excitement to the board with new creative ways to enhance a fans visit.

Will continue to strengthen the board with the others on here and make this a new and exciting meeting place for CFL and Sports fans.

So this troll is free to clog the main page with his “dubiously sourced” threads and the mods are OK with that?

The new look CFL forums come with much lower standards than the old forum. Sad.

Might I remind you that just because someone is on my ignore list doesn’t mean his threads do not show up nor does it mean his posts are removed when quoted. The troll still infects the board and those that administer the board are enabling him.

Much better place when BigDave and RedandWhite looked after things.