CFL Supplemental Draft scheduled for Monday

Before anyone starts critisizing or making fun of the League office, thinking back I don't believe there was an actual official announcement for when the supplemental draft would be held before today. The date just showed up in the media and we accepted it as being true.

TORONTO -- The Canadian Football League (CFL) Supplemental Canadian Draft will take place on Monday, May 30 at 9:00am ET.

Eligible players include:
•Alex Ellis DL Wilfrid Laurier - 6'1" 306 lbs
•Stephen Inman LB Tabor College - 6'0" 235 lbs
•Ted Laurent DL Mississippi - 6'03" 303 lbs
•Kito Poblah WR Central Michigan - 6'2" 213 lbs

The supplemental draft is for any player who didn't receive official non-import status from the CFL and CFLPA until after the CFL Canadian Draft.

The supplemental draft works a bit like an auction. Teams have the option of giving up a pick in next year's CFL Canadian Draft in exchange for the rights to an eligible player, but they can be trumped by a team willing to part with a higher pick in next year's draft. As a result, the player eventually goes to the team most willing to forfeit a higher pick next year. The team with the highest waiver priority makes its offer last, meaning they have the last chance to match any previous offer.

The order of priority is:

1. Winnipeg
  2. Edmonton
  3. British Columbia
  4. Toronto
  5. Hamilton
  6. Calgary
  7. Saskatchewan
  8. Montreal

Results of Monday's supplemental draft will be announced through a news release when it has concluded.

[url]http://www.cfl.ca/article/cfl-supplemental-draft-scheduled-for-monday[/url]

Hope the Bombers pass on Laurent and the Esks get him. If not, I'd still be very happy with Poblah, who is apparently ranked right up there with guys like Parker, Coehoorn, and Iannuzzi from this year's draft.

As per 2011 Draft Preview of Pro Football Weekly:

Kito Poblah-WR- Listed #115 of a total of 136. His grade: 4.35,i.e. Could be in a NFL camp but will likely need time in a developmental league.

Ted Laurent-DT- Listed #30 of a total of 71. His grade: 4.89,i.e. Should be in a NFL training camp.

To me/to the scouts,Laurent is a better prospect. Winnipeg could draft him,since their future needs are more on the defensive line. Doug Brown could retire in the next year or so. If they opt for Poblah,Edmonton will draft Laurent.

Richard

...when is the Special Last-Chance Draft?...that's the really good one...