CFL Scheduling Disaster

I don't agree this is the same at all. I use both terms depending on the other parties in the conversation.

You set foot outside of the US and Canada and Australia or address any other audience on the planet, it's football and even in Australia they will call it "footy."

1 Like

This is true - but that was back in the 1950s when they moved away from the original term soccer as the acronym for "association football" as stuck in North America and Australia.

1 Like

So, in essence, the British and the rest of the world shouldn't complain if North America and Australia call their version football and other one as soccer.

It doesn't change someone's enjoyment of either football.

2 Likes

I can't wait for "stadium football"to begin

4 Likes

Canadian football....to many just a quirky bush league, and a punchline.
To most of us, it’s the best underdog, unique, exciting, and unpretentious
hoser duct-tape, perch-roll, by the Jesus, twofour, no fair-catchin’, damn league there is.
I guess my point is that I can’t wait for stadium football as well.

4 Likes

It's many years since I read this (I think it was Sports Illustrated) so correct me if things have changed, but isn't men's field hockey basically non-existent in the US, or even that they're banned from playing it?

Tell someone in the UK, no matter what gender you are, that you play "hockey" without any clarification and you'll likely be asked if you mean field or ice. If you see a sports/TV/paper listing that just mentions "hockey", you can be sure that It's field hockey, Ice hockey would be listed specifically as ice hockey.

Lots of dirty stick-work. Even the ladies are nasty. So I’m told.

2 Likes

Well, I guess I am the wrong person to ask, but I had never heard of men's field hockey until yesterday. :sweat_smile:

But I have heard of the Gaelic game of hurling, which is similar and a more established sport.

This is yet another reminder that I am a Starter Geezer.

It's okay to say gridiron or gridiron football (as do I when addressing a party who is not American or Canadian) - in Australia mind you that's the term they use.

1 Like

We all know the gridiron.

2 Likes

found this when searching for uk hockey

England Hockey League | England Hockey

every other link went to Ice Hockey

2 Likes

Most team sports originated in England:
Soccer - of course
Rugby - first played at Rugby College, Aussie rules developed from rugby on a cricket field. Our Football developed from Rugby.
Hockey - ice hockey originated from hockey on grass to hockey on ice
Basketball - developed from English netball
Cricket
Baseball - developed from English sport of rounders & cricket

1 Like

You are worried about the Senators? The team that drew 12,000 fans per game pre-pandemic?
They haven't topped 15K since 2016 season.... and they get tons of roadies from Montreal and Toronto in particular....

You should be more worried about NHL as CFL easily outdraws them in your scenario

Also for @Paolo_X in another city (eg Toronto) this would be a huge issue. In Ottawa its a laughable issue.... Noone goes to NHL games in Ottawa and although not strongest team the CFL easily has more clout locally

2 Likes

But the 12k to 15k at senators games are individual paying fans. The Leafs have 15k season tickets that are strictly corporate tickets, that’s why it’s always difficult to get tickets.
Ottawa doesn’t get the corporate season ticket sales because it’s a government town and the federal departments can not buy tickets

2 Likes

I hear that a lot.

I work in the Insurance business. We have many clients that operate out of Ottawa and do a ton of "client entertaining".

While the Government is the largest employer in Ottawa, it is far from the only employer. Dozens and dozens of $100Million+ financial and tech companies in Ottawa.

Problem is, the sens suck, so no one wants to go see them. My clients in Ottawa FAR prefer the Redblacks over the Sens.

3 Likes

There is a large high tech community in Ottawa too but by far the biggest employer is the federal departments with over 116,000 employees.
The Sens have stated they have the lowest amount of ticket holders from the corporate community of all NHL teams.

2 Likes

that is most true.

while those 116,000 employees may not be eligible for corporate tickets, they are all compensated above average with full defined benefit pensions. That should free up some extra income for discretionary purchases.

I think it is the product the Sens put on the ice that keeps season tickets low. Anytime I go to a RB game (three so far), the stadium is packed. Love the RB's support. My second favourite CFL team!

2 Likes

Very true the owner of the Sens made it personal and the fans then made it personal back by not going to the games .

There is plenty of money in Ottawa with secure jobs etc ..... I Would say it's moderate generational wealth in a way .

3 Likes

Your clients have good taste. The difference in atmosphere between Sens and RB
games is akin to going to an eight year old’s birthday party, or a bachelor party
on a yacht.

2 Likes

…except when they play the flames…

2 Likes