CFL Scheduling Disaster

Some cynics like to say that many of the problems facing the CFL are self inflicted. In the case of the 2021 schedule, they may be right.
For some bizarre reason, the league has decided to start some of their
Saturday games at 4 p.m. local time.
The NHL begins their season in October.
Since Saturday is, for most sports fans, Hockey Night, EACH CFL team that shares their city with a hockey team is now in conflict, at least once
this season, with the NHL for fan support.
Take Ottawa for example.
The Redblacks have three games that month
that kick off at 4.
On each of those dates, the Senators play at home with puck drop at 7 p.m. Since it takes a good hour and a half to get from
TD Place to your seat in the Canadian Tire arena, the CFL is forcing sports
fans to choose between going to see football or hockey.
It makes no sense and is incredibly shortsighted thinking on the part
of the people running the CFL.

The Ottawa schedule is terrible .

They are definitely catering to watching the games on TV versus the fan going to the game .

Nothing new about the CFL playing games on Saturdays.
How man fans would be trying to get from TDP to the CT arena? If it was a big issue then the Redblacks would've protested to the league.
If it is an issue then it would be the NHL team that would be hurt by it and the Senators should be complaining about their bad schedule for these 3 games.

5 Likes

The time of day . IS

**** about receiving the best advertising rate for TV .****

The whole schedule leans toward the media rights holder not the fan going to the games or their comfort or convenience .

4 Likes

Somebody who is an avid NHL fan help me out here. I am a casual fan and only watch more starting around the turn of the year and then through the dead of winter into the playoff races before they start.

Really now, is there that much crossover between NHL fans who go to games early in the season and those who enjoy the CFL, later in the season with the playoff race at hand at that, now?

1 Like

I doubt there is much crossover of fans attending the games. I don't think it would make one bit of difference in attendance.
In Toronto there are quite a few times when the Blue Jays are playing at 1PM on a Saturday and the TFC plays at BMO starting at 7PM, and the Argos will play at 7PM when TFC is out of town. Don't think that many TFC fans are Jays fans, don't think many Argo fans are Jays or TFC fans.

3 Likes

No fun for me at the start of this season. As an Als fan living in Ottawa, not only
is it a bye week for the Al’s, Ottawa is also playing out west. I’m not complaining,
it’s just the way it is. Another week won’t kill me. It just feels like telling a kid that Christmas is gonna be a little late this year.

1 Like

I've gone to an early Eskie game, then took the LRT to go see the oilers. It was a sweet day. I also live in BC now so I gotta watch EE on tv anyway :pleading_face:

1 Like

You can see them in BC, no?

1 Like

Yeah, pre covid they come twice a year. I haven't really looked at the schedule as I doubt I'll be traveling :expressionless:

1 Like

When Hockey starts we all know given the economics of 2021

[quote="Tryingtosupportcfl, post:1, topic:71757"]
... have three games that monththat kick off at 4.On each of those dates, the Senators play at home with puck drop at 7 p.m. Since it takes a good hour and a half to get fromTD Place to your seat in the Canadian Tire arena, the CFL is forcing sportsfans to choose between going to see football or hockey.It makes no sense and is incredibly shortsighted thinking on the partof the people running the CFL.
[/quot

As soon as the NHL training camps & season starts all CFL teams will feel the crunch given the economics of 2021

No offense, but I really love ice hockey too but if there's football, I'm doing football.

I was a regular at The Schottenstein Center for Ohio State men's ice hockey games. Occasionally I'd go to a Blue Jackets game too. But never at the expense of football.

4 Likes

Up north we don’t say “ice hockey.” Just hockey. The only adjectives that come up
occasionally are “street” and “table.” I think the rest of the planet says “ice hockey” to make the distinction in reference to field hockey.
Anybody south of the border who likes the CFL and hockey is ok in my book.
You should try table hockey, and Street hockey is mankind’s greatest achievement.

4 Likes

I would rather play hookey

2 Likes

Youths’ greatest achievement.

1 Like

South of the border here I don't get folks who say "ice hockey" either. Hardly anybody does here in Pennsylvania and if they do, they sure are not from around here.

I think that stupid line starts in Maryland and going south from there in many places that should not even have hockey teams.

In Las Vegas you won't catch somebody local saying "ice hockey" either. There's no damn field hockey in the desert or mountains.

Field hockey seems to be what a few girls who go to private schools from Virginia on up the coast play.

I've never run into anybody who asks me for clarification whenever I mention "hockey" and if I did, well I'm probably in the wrong place.

2 Likes

We certainly don’t have a monopoly on true hockey fans. Lots of northern states are hockey crazy. It’s not wrong to say ice hockey, it just sounds funny to folks like me and you....and Minnesotans, Michiganders, Bostonians, and so on.

3 Likes

I suppose ice hockey sounds as strange to us, as does us saying soccer to describe the game the rest of the world calls football? It must give them a momentary pause when we say football to describing our version of the rugby style game?

2 Likes

For sure....I say” football” to any non North American when talking about soccer.

2 Likes

Soccer is actually a British term for Association Football. So, technically, the English were using the term first.

3 Likes