CFL Rules

As an American I find a few of the rules in the CFL a bit unusual, and I was wondering why they came about. Here’s what I mean:

1. When there is a punt, the receiving team cannot block for the player receiving the ball, but on a kick-off the receiving team can block for the player receiving the ball. Why is that, and what difference would it make if blocking was allowed by the receiving team on each play?

2. Why is the defense required to play one yard off the ball on every play from scrimage? By doing this it would seem to me on 3rd and 1 the offense would make a first down every time. In the NFL, the defense can play as close to the ball as they want, and yes they do get penalized for lining up offsides, but they do stop running backs from making the first down.

3. Why is a single point awarded when a team tries a field goal and misses it, and the ball is not run out of the end zone by the other team? This appears to me to be rewarding a team for failure. I understand it on a kick-off or a punt, but not on a missed field goal.

4. This is not a rule, but something I don’t understand. Why were two teams in the CFL given the same nickname (Saskatchewan Roughriders and Ottawa Rough Riders), which I know is not the case anymore, but I’ve never seen that in any other sport, professional or amateur.

Thank you for clearing up these questions I have.

well…i only know the answer to your 4th question…( since CFL is the only football i know, i can’t compare to NFL )

the ottawa Rough Riders have been called by that name from before the CFL existed…they changed thier name for 1 year ( to the ottawa senators )
thats when saskatchewans football team decided to go by the Roughrider name…then ottawa switched back, so there were 2 teams by the same name in different parts of the country…so it wasn’t a problem at the time.
then the CFL formed and both teams joined, unwilling to change thier name…and since both had reasonable claim to the name CFL didn’t make them change it.
no worries now, cuz ottawa’s team folded and then, thu expansion, got a new team named the renegades ( which i prefer then having 2 teams of the same name )

now, ofcourse, theres gonna be some people responding to my answer with exact dates and details…but you get the overall drift… :mrgreen:

.......I'll bite.......

1. you can block for your receiver on both punts and kickoffs.....you were probably watching the Ti-cats who seem to have forgotten this aspect as well....
  2. the 1 yard line up off the line of scrimmage goes way back to when helmets were made out of cow skin......actually, I don't know why this is, it just is......makes for some interesting O vs.D line battles with that momentum room eh?.....
  3. the Rouge......a distinctly CFL item.....I suppose you could look at it as reward for failure but you could also look at it as just reward for getting the ball down the field within FG range and not then allowing the enemy team the chance to run it out.....
  4. the two teams started out in separate localized leagues before the CFL was created many years back. The nicknames are for different things, the Sask version paying homage to Teddy Roosevelt's calvary unit and Ottawa's was after the name given to men who steered logs down the various rivers in northern Ontario/Quebec, I think....

.....any others?......

The CFL has been around allot longer than the NFL so...this is the older Canadian game...and CANADA introduced modern N.A. to the , U.S.

1. During a kick off , the ball is live for every one because the players are lined up , on side and are behind the kicker ,when he kicks it.

During a punt the players are in front of the kicker , so they are not , on side.

They have to wait for the other team to touch the ball and give the reciever 5 yards...so he doesn't get killed.

In the NFL you have the fair catch [for punts]..........we don't.

1. This is just part of the CANADIAN , game.

2. That is called a ROUGE...which is French , for RED.

Some people don't like that rule, however...they do also get a point for punting the ball through the end zone. But not , on a kick off.

It adds more excitment to the game , because if you miss the FG , it there is always the chance for the other team to run it back for a TD , which has happened allot.

The team can try to run it out or give up 1 point , for better field position.

It is one of our most exciting plays.

1. BOTH names meant different things..........SASK...where Cowboys.......and OTTAWA, were logers...riding on cut logs down the OTTAWA , river.

OTTAWA, is now.... the RENAGADES.

It's also said differently, Saskatchewan Roughriders and Ottawa Rough Riders. Unlike the NFL with the New York Giants and the New York Jets, that is even worse in my opinion and it STILL goes on!

1. like red said, No Yards apaeas to both KOs and Punts.
  2. It gives them momentum, since they are undersized than the NFL, and on 3nd and 1, in the scrum as I call it, yes the O has the advantage, but I have seen the D spot the O before, though it is rare, it does happen. But it doesn't really matter unless a TD is at sake.
  3. just lie Red said, if the D allows the team to get within FG range, then they are sure to let the O get a point for there trouble. it works though, cuz most kicks are wide, don't you think?

Now I have a question of my own, if the ball is intercepted or fumbled in the in zone and the D fails to get it out, is that a single or a safety?

NO.........for an interception.........and..... NO.

kk
no point
ball goes to the 20

Well, I guess since it is an Intreception, but I hate they way aome players take a knee instead of running it out.

I just add this to my list of rule chages for the hell of it.

No, Zero points ball goes to 25 yard line.

[quote="Kanga-Kucha"]It's also said differently, Saskatchewan Roughriders and Ottawa Rough Riders. Unlike the NFL with the New York Giants and the New York Jets, that is even worse in my opinion and it STILL goes on!

1. like red said, No Yards apaeas to both KOs and Punts.
    quote]

NO

There is no no yard penalties on kick-offs.

eeeeeehhh wrong. Read his post. There is no such thing as no yards on kickoffs. never has been never will be. kickoffs are live for everyone so no yards would just not fit would it.
Stick to answering posts that you know.

Beat you to it Billy

haha. yep you sure did.
and in addition. What is so wrong with the Giants and Jets?? there is no similarity at all.

I was going to say the ball is live on kickoffs
If it wasn't there could not be an onside kick(10 yrds recover the ball)

Well for one, the New York Giants just happen to play out of New Jersey

What's up with that?

Ok, I see, besides it would be ultra rare for a defence me to get NY anyway.

Hey, as long as the guy returns it and doesn’t that a knee in the endzone (with no singles) like a pussy!, I’m cool.

I’m alond to guess aren’t I?

OH C'MON BILLY, NEW YORK HAS TWO FUCKING NFL TEAMS WHILE LA HAS NONE, THAT IS WHAT IS WRONG!!! IN ADDISION, THEY PLAY IN THE SAME FUCKING SATDUIM IN NJ!!!

I MEAN WOULDN'T YOU BE PISSED IF TORONTO OR HAMILTON HAD TWO TEAMS AND IF ONE LOSSED THE OTHER WON THE CUP, WHILE SASKATCHEWAN WITH ONE TEAM OR NONE FOR THAT MATTER, LOSES OUT COMPLETY???

I SAY IT IS WORST THAN TWO TEAMS IN DIFFERENT LOCATIONS HAVING SIMULAR NAMES!!!

GIANTS ROCK!!!
EVIL JETS SUCK!!!

Ok this post made absolutely no sense.