CFL Rule differences. Ask your questions here.

deleted. didn't notice there was a 2nd page to this thread with posts already correcting the onside kick rules. and apparently we can't delete our own posts any more???

Different rules that add interest to the Canadian game, IMO:

1-a missed field goal that is run back by the receiving team can be one of the most exciting plays in the Canadian game

2 - with 20 yard end zones a QB on the defensive 5 yd line has a lot more room to pass to

Another example of a truly Canadian play - the onside fake field goal.

Notice that in my correction to Pat's earlier post, I changed "punt" to "kick" when talking about the kicking team recovering the ball. This is an example of a non-punt being recovered by an onside player.

Also note that the first down marker is at the 33 yard line, and the Als player is tackled at the 35, two yards short. But because the kick crossed the line of scrimmage, Montreal ended up with the first down.

I was just wondering about this, as it’s pretty much the same as the rule in rugby. Is it just the kicker, or is it any onside player running past an offside player to put him onside?

It’s not. An offside player stays offside until the ball is touched (across the LOS) by a receiving team player or by an onside kicking team player.