CFL REMAINS #1 FOR TV WEEKEND NUMBERS

Shame on CBC for the way they have treated the CFL not only for the Saturday night fiasco, but the recent history which William Houston suggests in his Globe article, the key which I have posted below.
Good riddence I say, but still go figure how the largest audience was garnered.

TV Top 10

1. CFL, Saturday Edmonton-Sask CBC @ 585,000 well above weekly average of 352,000
  2. MLB, Friday Balt-Toronto Sportsnet @ 400,000 wins Friday night, well above weekly average of 290,000
  3. CFL, Friday BC-Calgary TSN @ 344,000 best game of the year, right on top of season average 346,000
  4. MLB, Sunday Balt-Toronto Sportsnet @ 326,000 great numbers for afternoon game
  5. Tennis, Rogers Final Sunday CBC @ 224,000 up a whopping 191% from 06
  6. Golf, Womens Can Open Sunday Final Sportsnet @ 213,000 up a whopping 229% from 06
    1. Tennis, Rogers Cup semi Sat Sportsnet @ 213,000; Friday TSN @ 137,000
  7. Soccer, English Sunday Score @ 115,000 highest # of the year
  8. Tennis Rogers Cup other semi CBC @ 113,000

From The Globe, William Houston here is his take on the fiasco with the CBC.

"Safeguard in place

The CBC has established a backup system to eliminate mistakes similar to the one made early Sunday morning, when the network failed to air the full broadcast of the Edmonton Eskimos-Saskatchewan Roughriders CFL game after it was delayed by a power failure.

Instead of showing the final 13 minutes, during which the Roughriders came from behind to win, the network stayed with a movie that had been used as filler during the 55-minute delay. A mid-level manager in Toronto made the decision.

It was one of those situations in which a series of unrelated developments came together to produce a major blunder, starting with an electrical storm in Regina that caused the outage at Mosaic Stadium.

In Toronto, the mid-level manager was unaware that coverage of live sporting events should be followed through to the finish.

The manager's decision couldn't be countermanded because the producer of the football telecast could not reach a CBC executive at a high enough level. Scott Moore, the head of CBC Sports, had recently moved and staffers didn't have his new telephone number.

Moore said yesterday that an "escalating call list" has been established in which a set of numbers will available to staff in the event of a crisis.

As well, the network is attempting to make the Eskimos-Roughriders full telecast available for carriage on regional stations through tomorrow.

Advertisers who lost commercial time will be compensated with bonus spots in future telecasts. The game drew 585,000 viewers, the CBC's largest CFL audience of the season, a huge 54-per-cent increase over the season average of 380,000, prompting Moore to suggest, jokingly, that the CBC should prematurely leave telecasts more often.

Moore handled the damage control effectively. He was in touch with CFL commissioner Mark Cohon early Sunday. The two met to discuss the situation Sunday afternoon at the Rexall Centre in Toronto during the Rogers Cup women's tennis tournament, which the CBC covered.

A year ago, the old regime at CBC Sports didn't even bother putting a call into the CFL to report it would not be shooting the East Division playoff games in high-definition television. It told the media, but not the league".

"Scott Moore, the head of CBC Sports, had recently moved and staffers didn't have his new telephone number."

This is a stunning blunder. Not that I'm saying anyone should, but many people have lost jobs for less.

I don't know... to me, it just sounds like a stupid excuse. And I didn't appreciate his ridiculous attempt at trying to be funny.

But congrats to the CFL for pulling in nearly 600,000 viewers. Wonder if the East games will be able to compete with that.

No kidding. Those numbers are very very impressive, but not surprising as the CFL is a first-class product. Unlike the CBC apparently.

I find it only a little ironic that a mid-level manager in Toronto, the city of chronic under-support for the CFL, should be the one to make a boneheaded programming decision for the entire network. And it affected not only Canadian viewers but viewers everywhere because we all depended on the CBC feed.

Small, small time CBC.

Call me from Missouri, but I personally do not believe that so called excuse by Moore.
If true, the mismanagement is even worse then we all think.
You would think there is a contingency plan in work for these type of scenarios which rarely ocurr, “instead of a call deep into the night”.
All heads should role or at least would if this was the private sector.

Do the TSN numbers ever get this big? To me, this is why the TSN deal is not a great one. Even though CBC screwed up once again they still have far more reach than TSN and will be able to get much better ratings.

Next year when CBC is gone are we going to see numbers get this high? I don't think so, and as a result the value of the league to broadcasters will go down. Meaning that we won't see a big raise for the CFL in their next tv deal. Just my opinion.

By the way, here is something else that is never mentioned when we talk about ratings and tv deals.....Expansion will likely bring better numbers and therefore greater value to the product. Everyone always talks about more teams meaning less of the pie to spread around (I think I just butchered a saying there).

What people don't talk about is that more teams would probably mean more interest and higher ratings. As well, it would mean more games....more games mean more value for the broadcaster. Once again just my opinion.

Yes I talked about expansion.

Agreed bigh, a team in Atlantic Canada would in my opinion bring in at least 100,000 new viewers, not to mention all the added value to the league in the form of merchandise etc.
Likewise, the potential new team in QC could double the ratings on RDS from the current average of around 200,000. The rivalry with Montreal could be huge similar to the old Nords vs Habs.
We desperately need two more teams to start and then another two to make it an even dozen.
Mr. Cohon it is time to move asap.

What we need is people with deep pockets to get off their duff and do something for their community with all their wealth. Particularly on the East coast.

If these Uncle Sams in Toronto would put down their Cuban cigars and actually participate in the CFL instead of whining about not having an NFL team, there would be plenty of money for a couple new teams. Why can't they go to Halifax and become local and national heroes instead? Whoever starts a team there will be enshrined in The Hall forever as a great builder.

Yes that is true, a couple of Mr Asper type clones would be the answer.

I would bet my firstborn that one major reason why numbers are so high is because the blackout was lifted for the Riders game, not necessarily because it was CBC. Being from Saskatchewan, it would not surprise me in the least if over 100,000 people watched the game in that province who would not have been able to watch it with a blackout in place. Just my opinion.

Decisions at CBC simply emphasize the bloated management roster. I truly believe that TSN would never have had that problem, firstly because everyone has their eye on sports but also because number of veiwers is far more important to an organization that needs to generate interest and audience.
CBC doesn't care, and why would we buy the arguement that a "middle" manager didn't have the power to resume the broadcast? If the guy left in charge can't do anything then he's not in charge.
As for the other points made about the audience being large because the blackout was lifted, I agree. Expansion needs to occur as well and maybe if the telecast was handled in a professional manner the numbers would prove to investors that there is money to be made.

I was just going to chime in with the same thing. The numbers are huge because Edmonton has very good support and also because the game was sold out which meant the black out was lifted across Saskatchewan.

You're probably going to see fantastic numbers for the Riders next 2 home games as well since they will both be sold out as well, which should mean black out lifted.

of course, tsn won't screw over the CFL either. And their numbers are very comperable to the CBC. it's not just about total numbers, but the type of numbers (demographics).
Advertisers want that CFL fan who went out and got a hi-def receiver to watch the big game, because they know they have a lot more disposable income/the inclination to spend money then someone who still watches TV using the ol' rabbit ears.

I don't think curling regrets dumping the CBC, and I doubt the CFL will either. the CBC has a long history of not showing the end of live sporting events. they simply cannot be trusted, and that's been proven over and over

It really comes down to accountability.

TSN's meat and potatoes are sports fans, and it will do all it can to keep them happy. CBC's loyalties are to (a) the federal government and (b) the arts and culture elite in Canada.

Simply put, a mob of angry CFL fans, however right they may be, don't really impact on the CBC's world.

And that's why the CFL leaving CBC can only be a blessing.

of course, tsn won't screw over the CFL either. And their numbers are very comperable to the CBC. it's not just about total numbers, but the type of numbers (demographics). Advertisers want that CFL fan who went out and got a hi-def receiver to watch the big game, because they know they have a lot more disposable income/the inclination to spend money then someone who still watches TV using the ol' rabbit ears.
Good point, I never thought of that before.
I would bet my firstborn that one major reason why numbers are so high is because the blackout was lifted for the Riders game, not necessarily because it was CBC. Being from Saskatchewan, it would not surprise me in the least if over 100,000 people watched the game in that province who would not have been able to watch it with a blackout in place. Just my opinion.
Also a good point. Having lived in Saskatchewan for 30 years I know how frustrating it was to not be able to watch the games on tv. Living in the north didn't allow to get to very many games. Of course I was on a farm with the rabbit ears, so I was stuck.