CFL REFS STINK!!!!

Hey I know many Ti-Cat players cause too many penilties and should be fined by coach Charlie Taafe for dumb mistakes, but last night I counted six times when the flag should have been thrown by the official who was standing right there when the Al's defence took a shot at both Maas and Chang after they released the ball. The most questionable one was the final play for the Cats when Chang threw the ball, he released his pass, he over threw Brock Ralph but the Al's defender took three steps before he hit Timmy Chang and NO CALL, with the Ref standing right there to make the call. Apparently the new rules say that as soon as the QB releases the ball, pass or hand off he cannot be touched, well that wasen't the case last night.

Also, on TSN Glen Suitor had commented when Jim Popp threw the yellow flag in the first half to contest why Thyron Anderson came back on to the field to soon after going off for three plays because of an injury, that Jim Popp says to the ref on camera you owe us one. It's no doubt the Refs in the CFL are biast against the Cats, especially our QB's, if the new rule says the QB cannot be touched than so be it and that applies to every player and every team, no favorites or cash payouts after the game. The BAD CALLS are now too plain to see and it only makes CFL refs look BUSH LEAGUE compared to other sports.

Montreal has always had their way with CFL refs, also the Argo's and B.C. Lions, remember when Don Mathews was videotaping and listening in on visiting teams in the dressing room at McGill Stadium?? If the Montreal defender was penilized last night for a late hit on Timmy Chang with :30 seconds left on the clock the outcome could have been different. OUR REFS STINK PERIOD....Go Cats Go!!!!

I couldn't agree with you more. I do realize our opinion is biased as ticat fans but it's just plain brutal. What about the blatant hold on our ticat d-line that were inches away from Calvillo last night on or around our 25. Calvillo proceeded to bootleg left and with our d line in chase you COULD DEFFINATLY SEE the Al's player holding back one of our players by the shirt and wrist. Well at least from section 9 it was just a big dirty no call. After Calvillo bootlegged he found an open reciever in the front corner of the endzone, bingo bango bongo, TD als and conveniently the score was a differential of 6 with 1 minute left later in the game.

I sent off a nice letter/e-mail to George Black head of Officiating in the CFL and I encourage any disgruntled fans to do the same, it will probably fall on deaf ears, or it least my e-mails last season did. You are right though many Ti-Cat fans have been complaining about the bad officiating for years and it always hits the Cats hard.

It's pretty simple though and very obvious, if the new rule is that a QB cannot be touched as soon as he releases the ball than Hamilton is owed at least 6 late QB hits/penilties from last night, the biggest of course was the hit on Chang on the last play 3rd down, he over threw Brock Ralph or there was a mix up in the route, anyway Chang gets hit after he releases the ball and the defender evan took three steps and hit Timmy Chang, now I'm sorry folks but that was a missed call that very well cost us the game.

Jake Ireland and his officiating crew should be penalized for crappy officiating. It really Stinks!!

Just once I would like to see you guys not complain after losing a game. Its always the refs fault.

Funny how you are not complaining that the refs missed that in the first place!

Really?
Then why has Montreal been the most penalised team on the league, year after year?

Mossman,

You're right on. That was a brutal non call. I bet you Desjardins was all over the director of officiating after the game for the terrible officiating.

mmmmmm
No response to my points yet.

The first "missed call" was inconsequential and had no bearing on the game. If Anderson had come in and scored or made some huge play, then yes, the refs blew it and it may have affected the outcome. But no excuse for the refs having missed it.

Just because Montreal may have been heavily penalized does not mean Hamilton was shortchanged over the years.

I can recall a number of questionable hits on McManus that were not called.

I recall a blitzing Argo linebacker (from the QB's right, #30?) hitting McManus head to head and no call.

Gass of the the Eskies was most blatant with a helmet-to-helmet hit that knocked McManus silly. Gass stood over him and gloated then was shown on the bench laughing it up and re-playing the cheap shot with his fist to his chin.

Not even a roughing call even though the ref was clearly shown watching the play.

Helmet-to-helmet is supposed to be illegal. Both calls not made.

This latest game and the missed holding call (against Dunbrack) on the winning Als TD was also blatant and in the open field. How could Ireland not call it? It was obvious live and more so when seen in re-plays.

(Even the late helmet-to-helmet hit on a deep Cat receiver in the dying minutes was questionable.)

Joke "the Snake" Ireland always seems to shaft the Cats and I always give the opposing team a 7 point advantage when "the Snake" is the head official.

It was dead on this game.

There's your reply.

NO WE STINK!!!!!!!

I always thought CFL officials were shaky but wouldn't say they favoured one team. Of course it bugs me more when they mess up on calls relating to the team I'm cheering for. I thought in the 2nd quarter they gave Calhoon a very generous spot (+2 yards) that kept a drive going. (I might be wrong though) I was hoping to see another replay. Anyone else remember this play? I guess when your favourite team is losing all mistakes get magnified not just the ones our team makes.

The most ridiculous call was on Glasper for "roughing". Moreno had caused Cahoon to fumble and Zeke fell on the ball. Glasper covered Moreno but after the whistle he was pulled off the pile by a Montreal lineman. I guess lying on Moreno constitutes a penalty in the eyes of Jake's crew.
I have said for years that CFL officials should be former players with at least
college playing experience .That common sense football experience is sadly lacking in CFL crews. Jake made a holding call on our first play of the game (against Davis) but wouldn't make the same call against Mudge on Desriveaux's touchdown late in the game. If it's a penalty against the Cats then surely it's a penalty against the Als. Jake has to be the least consistent and hence least competent official in the CFL.
I apply the "Dojack Rule" anytime Ireland is doing a TiCat game. We are automatically 7 points down before the opening kickoff.
Pat Lynch (the old guy in section 7 )

Its irrelevant! The complaint the poster made was that Popp mouthed "you owe us one" when the refs missed it. He complained about a figure of speech but not about the missed call.

Irrelevant again!
My response was to the post that the refs look the other way when it comes to Montreal.
Obviously they don't if they are the most penalized team in the league year after year.

Why do you blame Jake? He is only one of 7 refs on the field. He has his duties and the others have them.

Now!
If you feel that the cats are the only ones that don't have calls go there way.....There were 2 late hits on Calvillo on Sat and a number of holding calls that did not get called either.....Funny how you don't see those.

My point is that fans are biased and only see what they want to see. Penalties go both ways and to say the refs are biased is just poor sportsmanship and childish.

I've just done a quick google and come up with some unscientific, non-substantiated facts.
NFL games have an average of 14 penalties per game and CFL have an average of 21.
50% more penalties----as a Ticat fan, of course I believe we often get the short end, but overall the league has to do something to decrease the total number of calls. You cannot convince me that CFL players commit 50% more fouls--it has to be that the referrees are more selective.
It is difficult to watch a game when after every play you first look for a flag before reacting.
CUT BACK ON THE CALLS AND LET US ENJOY THE GAME!

Right you are Thomas! Right you are.
Pat Lynch(the old guy in section 7 )

Is it possible that 50-60% of that 50% difference is as a result of the ‘no yards’ calls in the Canadian game?

Maybe---it seems like holding is called all the time and offside too--which could be attributed to the motion and the lack of timing (see Brock Ralph). They never seem to show replays of penalties so it's hard to judge the calls, but there has to some room for improvement.

ro1313...

None of it's irrelevant.

"Its irrelevant! The complaint the poster made was that Popp mouthed "you owe us one" when the refs missed it. He complained about a figure of speech but not about the missed call. "

Yes, Suitor on TSN commented that it appeared Popp told Ireland he was owed one for the blown "Anderson" call (evened up by by the holding non-call on Als TD). I agree the refs missed it but it was non-consequential in the scheme of things. If an "illegal" Anderson had caught a TD pass, then you have a right to really complain but as it was, it didn't hold a candle to the missed holding penalty.

"Irrelevant again! My response was to the post that the refs look the other way when it comes to Montreal. Obviously they don't if they are the most penalized team in the league year after year. "

In regards to this game, the Als seemed to get the best of the calls.

Blown calls will and do happen but talking relevance... Anderson non-call (easily missed)... no repercussions. Mudge holding non-call (obvious in the open field... where else would (should) Ireland have been looking?)... Als TD. Big difference.

"Why do you blame Jake? He is only one of 7 refs on the field. He has his duties and the others have them."

But Ireland seems (has the power) to make game breaking calls (controls QB hits and many holding calls). Not even against Hamilton but Ireland was the one who blew the Flutie fumble in the '96 Grey Cup vs Edmonton. I also recall him not calling an obvious Argo lineman hold on a Flutie scramble in the same game that sprung Flutie loose.

Ireland seems to have a history of "screwing" the Cats, thus he is often booed (vs other officials) when introduced at Ivor Wynne.

"If you feel that the cats are the only ones that don't have calls go there way.....There were 2 late hits on Calvillo on Sat and a number of holding calls that did not get called either.....Funny how you don't see those. "

Many missed calls even themselves out but it's the importance and timing that makes all the difference. See above re insignificant vs significant calls.

It's been suggested that technically, a penalty could be called on every play. It seems to come down to a matter of consistency.

If it's a holding in the 1st quarter, it's a hold that should be called late in the game (ie, the obvious open-field hold on Dunbrack on the last (winning) Montreal TD).

Haven't NHL refs been criticized for years for seeming to have different rules for the 1st 55 minutes of a hockey game than in the last 5 min (reg time) and overtime? Inconsistency and selective penalty calling is real re the officials no matter the league.

"My point is that fans are biased and only see what they want to see. Penalties go both ways and to say the refs are biased is just poor sportsmanship and childish."

No, the refs are human, they make mistakes but sometimes they seem to inexplicably go more one way than the other. Maybe it's bias or maybe it's the breaks (2 Als fumbles and the Argo bounce).

As a another poster mentioned, referee Paul Dojack had a reputation for giving Hamilton a rough time. It happens.

(re my earlier post and hits on McManus. A major issue with those non-calls was that Hamilton was often being flagged for touching the opposing QB while ours were getting hammered and no calls. Did you happen to see the Gass hit on McManus? Why or how was that not called? Bias? Incompetence? Temporary blindness? What?)

Im sorry but there is no way to convince you!
There are missed calles on both sides of the ball. There was holding and a couple of late hits against Montreal as well but you dont see thread after thread of Mtl fans complaining they got shafted and the refs are against them.

Again you only see what you want to and saying the refs are deleberate is childish!

Have to agree with you on both of these. I was going to post this myself but you beat me to it.
The one thing on the Glasper penalty was that he was holding onto a Montreal penalty, and when #67 pulled him up from behind, Glasper didn’t let go, so from the ref’s view on the other side, it looked like Glasper was pulling his man back and throwing him, suplex-style. Still a crappy call.

I agree that fans are biased and most only see what they want to see and ussually that includes good outcomes for their team. HOWEVER, you can not honeslty say, with plain down to earth reasoning and a 5th grade education, that it is childish and unsportsmanlike when discussion rises out of the blatant... and I mean BLATANT... lack of quality officiating. Especially when the ensuing play results in points against your team.

Like you just said yourself, you counted many times that Calvillo was hit late and there should have been calls, so you obviously see the problem with the officiating as well.

So you come on this forum post about how rediculous people are when it comes to complaining about officiating, you then proceed to wait and when nobody responds you stir the pot, saying: ERRRR NOBODY HAS A RESPONSE TO ME EH?! In true fashion for somebody looking to pick a fight in the internet.

I urge you to rethink your choice of words when you use words like childish to describe the actions of people on this forum. We don't want to sound hyprocritical now, do we?

I was even more amazed by the Timmy Chang throw at the end of the game, last play for the Cats, Timmy throws towards Brock Ralph, over throws the player but in stead of standing up Chang is hit late by the Al's player. Now the rule in the CFL this year, States that a QB cannot be touched after he releases the ball, now weather we like it or not it's a RULE that every Official must abide by and the fact that the official was shown on TV in clear view to make the call, well he didn't and Montreal got away with a late hit. There you go Mr. Popp, you got your way with the officials and you got a call back. But it dosen't change the situation, we could have an opportunity to win, instead we lose again but this time decided by the refs, wow how many times have I seen or heard that. CFL REFS STINK PERIOD...NUFF SAID.