CFL quickly becoming unwatchable!!!

Wow he logged out 10 minutes after posting, I agree he must be a troll :roll: oops I mean, dun smells like one. Maybe he hasn’t returned, except for one comment because of the insults and innuendo welcoming him to the board. I would keep “troll” tags to yourself until it was obvious that was his intent.

Now I’m not calling you an arse, except you dun smell like one. Big difference between looks like and is. Shirley you would agree. :wink:

They were from Herb after 3 or 4 weeks.

I don’t know that it matters to me anyway if the points are being scored on offense, defense or ST. I suspect the rules were mean’t to increase it in 3 phases. Obviously if defenders are playing the ball instead of clutching, grabbing, they will make more plays on the ball. ST well the new coverage rules explain that. Offense the new contact rules explain that.

So if we get 3 points from offense,3 points from defense and 3 points more on ST that’s almost 10 per game. Great Success !

This line has been seen more than a few times in various threads in here over the years.

But riddle me this:

How can you possibly know if you like it or not, unless you first. . . . . . read it?

Having a Keanu Reeves moment…

Not like it hasn’t been happening that way several time already this season, but well played Stampy, well played. :thup:

:D :thup:

wow.... totally sorry if my rant offended anyone... but I just felt like I had to say something about the game I love... I don't want to see it go down the tubes and wanted to voice my opinion... if that makes me a troll... whatever that means... then I guess that's that! But I stick to my guns... way too many flags are making the game something less than exciting to watch. I know many of the infractions have nothing to do with the new rules, so I'm not sure what's going on... other than perhaps the refs are just calling by the rule of the law. I truly hope things relax a bit and the refs start using a little more discretion in how they call the game... starting this wknd! Go Stamps!

Discretion = Using their own personal judgment/bias/impressions influencing the results of play and there by the game. That's what your asking for ?

For years people have been complaining about non calls, lack of consistency between various crews, last year complaining Barker influenced an official on the sideline. Now that they are calling the game the way the rules are written and people are still complaining.

These guys can't win. Take the stripes off of them and just paint bullseyes.

BINGO!!! Zebra’s can do no right no matter what they call. Gotta blame someone.

Thanks for this Hfx. I’d forgotten about that. Whether or not he did intimidate (he wasn’t trying to influence as much as intimidate) the official no one will ever know, but in hindsight it’s a lot funnier now than then. He got fined as I recall.

I called your post “troll like” and “smells like a troll”. We’ve had a troll/trolls over the last couple of seasons that join just to post something to stir the pot and move on. That’s why the reference to mattsdad. I won’t take back what I posted because I only called your post suspicious (and it was), I never said specifically that you were a troll. However, if you are legitimate then stick around and participate. Always room for one more CFL fan.

I wonder if these two comments have anything to do with why he’s upset with the number of penalties this year, but apparently was fine with pretty much the same number last year.

:wink:

Anyway, I have stated before that I wish there were fewer penalties, but I blame the players for violating the rules rather than the officials for calling them on it. And I think that the main contributing factor is the shortened practice time mandated by the latest CBA rather than them having to adapt to new rules.

but we all know you thinking it :stuck_out_tongue:

Barker is funny, watched a round table on TSN with him and Buono, Taman and Popp and Barker has that smirk on his face that comes across just sort of funny in a way. Likeable actually.

Personally I think games have been extremely well officiated this season. I'm frustrated like everyone by the number of penalties but i repeat, the players will get use to it. You listen to Austin dancing around this week in his media comments clearly criticizing the officials in creative ways so he does not get fined, taking side (mostly) with his OL for taking five procedure calls. Or complaining that Grant's two hand push in the back was "queestionable" when Grant has been getting penalties all season long both on offense and ST. That is not going to help the product get better, that frustrates me more because the coaches aren't helping their player or the product by even hinting that it is the officials fault. Anyone else read his lips during the game clearly telling the official "Get out of my fu... face". He should have been tossed really.

Now I used Austin because he was the vocal one this week. But many of them do that kind of stuff if not publicly, privately.

I save those thoughts for you.

don’t I know it. its nice to have a special place in someone’s heart 8)

Thread quickly becoming unreadable!!!

Just read article from Jack Todd - Montreal - believe he is pretty well respected CFL writer - he said the same thing - that the Cfl is becoming unwatchable because of the flags - he stated that the Grey Cup viewership,is down 27% from 2013 - and the Alouette Support is very soft - blamed the CFL for not making it clear to officials how to call the game -
He gave his 3 questions to ask - on how to call a penalty and needing 2 of 3 to throw a flag - they are interesting

1. Is it a penalty according to the rule book
  2. Does it have a direct effect on the play
  3. Does it effect the safety of the player

I agree let's look for solutions - but with TV viewing again down this year - and everyone I talk to say they wouldn't go or watch on tsn because of the number of flags - something on all fronts has to be done

We have had to many great years of turn arounds and exceptional work by all to have the CFL - lose it because of the lack of ebb and flow of the games - and the abundant flags .

I tend to agree ..and why not be vocal about it it doesn't make you a troll..
IT IS OUR MONEY THAT BUYS THE TICKETS AND OUR TIME TO WATCH AND CREATE RATINGS
It's their jobs to entertain us and no matter how hardcore of a fan no one should be a yes man and just take it.
no one here wants to tune out so they speak up ..but weather you blame the refs or the players it needs to change its kind of bad