CFL punts Dunk, Pedersen from website

CFL censorship??
Is it good reporting or stepping over the line?

[url=http://3downnation.com/2016/09/16/cfl-punts-dunk-pedersen-website/]http://3downnation.com/2016/09/16/cfl-p ... n-website/[/url]

[b][i]"The CFL has parted ways with two prominent contributors to its website.

"3DownNation deputy editor and Sportsnet contributor Justin Dunk as well as Riders play-by-play man Rod Pedersen have both been informed their content will no longer be posted on the league’s site." [/i][/b]

[b][i]"Dunk’s reporting of the roster violations in Saskatchewan on 3DownNation and other stories he’s broken this season were drawing complaints from clubs around the league. His status as a full-time employee of Sportsnet, the main rival to league rights holder TSN, was also a source of tension. During the last two CFL Drafts, his live Tweeting of the picks before they were announced by the league on TSN, caused quite a stir.

As for Pedersen. his assertion there is a CFL-led conspiracy and witch hunt against the Riders – which he espoused both on Twitter and on his popular blog – was enough to get him removed from the league’s official online vehicle (he still writes for the Riders team site.) He’s also been critical of CFL commissioner Jeffery Orridge on multiple occasions."[/i][/b]

I like Dunk but never liked the Rogers Sportsnet connection either. I would never be able to work for a company like Rogers and don't know how some of these guys stomach it. Sportsnet employees are like good little soldiers and everyone towing the company line even though the message Roger's convey might be B.S.
Also Dunk tweeting out the draft picks before the league basically did him in, surprised it took this long.

Pederson had to go. You can't lie and pass those lies off as facts. He's a joke and just a fan of the Riders. Nothing close to a journalist.

While I agree that Pederson had to go - Dunk IMO was doing a good job. Seems to me, the league continues to give the GM's and Coaches way too much say within the League and how it operates.

Completely agree that Dunk should have been let go when he Tweeted the draft picks beforehand.
Pederson was pretty much just a Rider journalist, and won't be missed for overall league news.

Dunk will take the dunking much better than Pom Pom Boy. . . .

Justin D. still has a main-line job with Sportsnet and now he can independently report for SN without having to worry what CFL or TSN thinks.

Pederson is just a vitriolic rider media hobo who's had his wagon attached to the rider board for all too long. His nonsense and chaotic writings won't be missed - ok, maybe a few sicks on the rider & bomber boards will miss him - but he'll still be posting the same vomit on his radio station blog - and now he'll be taken in by riderfans - and if you know riderfans - the majority of their posters post worse vomit than Rod could even dream!

Total censorship.

I suppose that the league has a right to pick who gets published ion the official site, but even THEIR OWN REASONS for terminating them are pure censorship. They are basically saying 'only report what we want, if you criticize us we will punish you'.

That's BUSH.

You guys up above me ^^ passing judgments on whether either of them deserved the boot are copping out. They say what they feel, no matter how accurate or inaccurate any claims may be, it has nothing to do with it.

Do I REALLY have to truck out this old adage?

I disapprove of what you say, but will defend to the death your right to say it. -Voltaire
Pedersen in particular is garbage (I'm the first one to admit that), but he is still allowed to say what he wants. If the league had said that they were dropping his content to make room for higher quality journalism I could buy that, but to say that he's dropped for attacking the commissioner is cowardly bulls**t. In fact, banning him just gave him a shred of credibility - even if only in his mind. Just guess what his next column will say now?

In the case of Dunk, this is obviously punishment for leaking the draft picks. Come on, how petty can the league get?

Hey CFL ... quit blaming the media for your problems. Grow some balls Orridge.

Pedersen made his own bed. I support his right to write any crazy crap he wants, however, if he's going to write negatively about his employer without a shred of evidence to support his accusations he shouldn't be too surprised they fired him.

Dunk, that is pure vindictiveness by the teams and TSN as well as yet another sign that Orridge is a lame duck commissioner with no balls who must go for the league to move forward. He's fire for his reporting on a subject that the league itself agreed with enough to levy the largest fine in league history. Does that make sense? He's fire because his day job is with a company the league doesn't do business with? Can you say lawsuit. This one will come back to bit them in the butt bad.

Orridge is destroying the league when he allows this to happen without reining in the board. If he can't protect the board of governors from their own stupidity and bias then he's as much a part of the problem as they are and needs to go while there is still a league to save.

Hi All, well said above by all. Great information by knowledgeable CFL fans. Nice work

I disagree. These 2 did not work for the CFL…The CFL is not obliged to publish them
The CFL did not have their personal web-sites shut down because of what they said. They decided they would no longer publish what they have to say.

Even if they did work for the CFL…How long do you think a writer would last with a given newspaper if he was constantly being negative about that paper?
Its the CFL’s site and yes they get to choose what is publshed

Every league controls the message on Their website. It's a private website they can do what they want.

We're not talking about the news media here.

True. And even the news media controls what they publish. There are no free-for-alls.

People misunderstand the concept of "freedom of speech." Both writers can write whatever they want, publish it on their blogs, tweet it, recite it on the street corner. Therefore freedom of speech lives! But no private organization has an obligation to publish what they write. And if readers don't like the decisions made by website etc, they will stop reading them.

(I personally don't love the decision to ban Dunk, but I don't care enough to stop visiting the CFL website.)

I get what you are saying....but you to are misunderstanding what Freedom of Speech is. Freedom of Speech is a philosophy that dictates that the Government may not use their discretion upon the voices put forth by society and the members within it. In other words, the government is not supposed to have a judgement on society's expression. Society itself, yeah, they can judge away and can oppress that right within a non-public body. I do agree with what you are getting at though....because the CFL is not government...they have every right to attempt censoring him....or at least cutting ties.

At any rate...Pedersen was nothing more than a booster. He does a respectable enough job of providing reports on clubs, but people like Zerr are starting to win out there locally now even. I don't mind him for his actual news side of things and the odd perspective is interesting enough...but he is clearly in the market of painting everything green. I don't entirely agree with why they are parting ways with him, because he should be able to say things that are not flattering...but he went way way over the top.....so I understand the league's perspective.

Dunk...He should have been boycotted the day after the draft tweets. That is hurting a critical business partner in TSN....the fact he works for their direct competition should have made that a quick decision as it seems pretty clear sabotage. I don't care how good he is at his job...he is breaking stuff like that and pissing off your most important partner...gone.

So basically the other board of governors are telling the pederson to get lost, I wonder what Craig Reynolds thinks of that, and the rest of the rider heirarchy, this league is going downhill fast

No it's not. Censorship is an act of the government to silence dissent. The CFL is not government, and has no obligation to actively host or provide a marketing platform for anyone.

The key difference is that the CFL has no ability to stop either of them from reporting whatever they want. The CFL does have the ability to refuse to help them in doing so.

I suppose that the league has a right to pick who gets published ion the official site, but even THEIR OWN REASONS for terminating them are pure censorship. They are basically saying 'only report what we want, if you criticize us we will punish you'.

That's BUSH.

As opposed to... every other professional sports league on the face of the earth, who does the same thing? You really think someone who works for a non-NFL network would ever be allowed to continue appearing on NFL.com after posting draft picks before the official broadcaster?

The website is a tool of the marketing department. Marketing is incompetent if it doesn't step in.

You guys up above me ^^ passing judgments on whether either of them deserved the boot are copping out. They say what they feel, no matter how accurate or inaccurate any claims may be, it has nothing to do with it.
... actually it has everything to do with it. Professional reporters can't just make up total BS because they feel like it about the league, and expect the league to be okay with that.
Do I REALLY have to truck out this old adage?
I disapprove of what you say, but will defend to the death your right to say it. -Voltaire
You should probably understand it before trotting it out. Note that it doesn't say "will defend to the death your right to force me to publish it for you."
Pedersen in particular is garbage (I'm the first one to admit that), but he is still allowed to say what he wants.
[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defamation]False.[/url]
If the league had said that they were dropping his content to make room for higher quality journalism I could buy that, but to say that he's dropped for attacking the commissioner is cowardly bulls**t. In fact, banning him just gave him a shred of credibility - even if only in his mind. Just guess what his next column will say now?
Something stupid, no doubt. And if the league had said that, would it matter? Conspiracy theorists don't listen to explanations, because any explanation is just part of the conspiracy.
In the case of Dunk, this is obviously punishment for leaking the draft picks. Come on, how petty can the league get?
I'm sure TSN was pretty unhappy at being made to look ridiculous by someone who also works for the league. Now Dunk can leak the draft picks without any problem,.
Hey CFL ... quit blaming the media for your problems. Grow some balls Orridge.
Go ahead, name another league on the planet that would continue to publish someone who claims the league is in a vast conspiracy against a team. I'll wait.

Agree, I like Dunk but what he did (probably with tacit approval from Rogers Sportsnet) was pretty low, taking the spotlight away from a special day for the league.

I'm actually shocked it took them this long to do it, should have been done at the time.

Dunk is in a problematic situation because he works for TSN's competitor, and if he has a credible source, it's his job to get the scoop. Nothing wrong with that at all.

If he's doing it while also doing stuff for the league, that's something of a problem because it made the league look foolish from someone who is promoted by the league. No league likes to see that happen.

It wouldn't surprise me if they talked to him in private and he said he'd do it again if he got the information (which again, is his job as a reporter for Sportsnet). So they decided to part ways. No big deal.

Dunk live tweeted draft picks which is his job as a journalist. CFL knew he worked for Sportsnet and hired him anyway. The live tweet issue goes back two years so how much of an issue can it be if it took TWO years for the league to take action.

The key to this is obviously this portion;

"Dunk’s reporting of the roster violations in Saskatchewan on 3DownNation and other stories he’s broken this season were drawing complaints from clubs around the league.

The league fired him for breaking and reporting a story that the league itself put enough faith in they levied the largest fine in league history. However, some clubs appear to be complaining about the fact he is reporting the truth. Yes, a reporter reporting the truth, who could have imagined. This is the disgrace and another example of the league going down hill fast.

As long as the league has a puppet like Orridge as commissioner the board of governors will continue to run the league into oblivion.