CFL players choose their own 2018 all-star squad

Congrats to the Hamilton members who were chosen by their peers as all stars.

The old saying goes: It takes one to know one.
So for all the glitz and glamour of the red-carpeted Shaw Canadian Football League awards gala at Edmonton’s Winspear Centre on Thursday, it was a simple press release earlier in the day that caught the attention of players across the league.
In it, the CFL Players Association announced its 2018 all-star team, led by Hamilton Tiger-Cats head coach June Jones, quarterback Jeremiah Masoli, Ottawa RedBlacks running back William Powell and Edmonton Eskimos wide receiver Duke Williams.
“These all-star nominations are regarded as one of the most prestigious awards, as they are voted on by peers,? stated CFLPA president Jeff Keeping.
As opposed to the media and head coaches who choose the annual CFL all-stars.
More than 400 player ballots determined this year’s CFLPA winners, without being able to vote for any coach or player on their own team.
“This vote is unique in that the players only vote for the all-atars in the positions they go head to head with since they can best judge the abilities and skills of these players,? Keeping said. “For example, wide receivers and slotbacks are voted for by defensive backs and secondary coaches.
“We wish to congratulate all the all-stars on a well-deserved acknowledgement as well as an outstanding season both on and off the field.?

The 2018 CFLPA all-star team:

[tr][td]OFFENCE[/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr]
[tr][td]Quarterback[/td]
[td]Jeremiah Masoli[/td]
[td]Hamilton Tiger-Cats[/td]
[/tr]
[tr][td]Offensive Tackle[/td]
[td]Joel Figueroa[/td]
[td]B.C. Lions[/td]
[/tr]
[tr][td]Offensive Tackle[/td]
[td]Derek Dennis[/td]
[td]Calgary Stampeders[/td]
[/tr]
[tr][td]Offensive Guard[/td]
[td]Brendon LaBatte[/td]
[td]Saskatchewan Roughriders[/td]
[/tr]
[tr][td]Offensive Guard[/td]
[td]Sukh Chungh[/td]
[td]Winnipeg Blue Bombers[/td]
[/tr]
[tr][td]Centre[/td]
[td]Ucambre Williams[/td]
[/tr]
[tr][td]Running Back[/td]
[td]William Powell[/td]
[td]Ottawa REDBLACKS[/td]
[/tr]
[tr][td]Fullback[/td]
[td]Declan Cross[/td]
[td]Toronto Argonauts[/td]
[/tr]
[tr][td]Slot Back[/td]
[td]S.J. Green[/td]
[td]Toronto Argonauts[/td]
[/tr]
[tr][td]Slot Back[/td]
[td]Bryan Burnham[/td]
[td]B.C. Lions[/td]
[/tr]
[tr][td]Wide Receiver[/td]
[td]D’haquille Williams[/td]
[td]Edmonton Eskimos[/td]
[/tr]
[tr][td]Wide Receiver[/td]
[td]Brandon Banks[/td]
[/tr]
[tr][td]Long Snapper[/td]
[td]Chad Rempel[/td]
[/tr]

[tr][td]Special Teams[/td]
[td]Lewis Ward[/td]
[/tr]

[tr][td]DEFENCE:[/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr]
[tr][td]Defensive End[/td]
[td]Willie Jefferson[/td]
[/tr]
[tr][td]Defensive End[/td]
[td]Charleston Hughes[/td]
[/tr]
[tr][td]Defensive Tackle[/td]
[td]Almondo Sewell[/td]
[/tr]
[tr][td]Defensive Tackle[/td]
[td]Micah Johnson[/td]
[/tr]
[tr][td]Middle Linebacker[/td]
[td]Alex Singleton[/td]
[/tr]
[tr][td]Weakside Linebacker[/td]
[td]Simoni Lawrence[/td]
[/tr]
[tr][td]Strongside Linebacker[/td]
[td]Don Unamba[/td]
[/tr]
[tr][td]Cornerback[/td]
[td]Delvin Breaux[/td]
[/tr]
[tr][td]Cornerback[/td]
[td]Nick Marshall[/td]
[/tr]
[tr][td]Halfback[/td]
[td]Aaron Grymes[/td]
[/tr]
[tr][td]Halfback[/td]
[td]Ed Gainey[/td]
[/tr]
[tr][td]Safety[/td]
[td]Taylor Loffler[/td]
[/tr]
[tr][td]Punter[/td]
[td]Richie Leone[/td]
[/tr]
[tr][td]Place Kicker[/td]
[td]Brett Lauther[/td]
[/tr]

[tr][td]Head Coach: [/td]
[td]June Jones[/td]
[/tr]

Two of our LBs make this all-star team, and the third was a defensive MOP finalist. Gotta think that makes our LB corps the best in the league.

I’ve got two beefs with the list and methodology.

1. Two placekickers made it, but no returners.

2. CFLPA still thinks teams play with a fullback and only four receivers. It’s been a while since we’ve seen that regularly.

GEEEZ, Jones and Masoli…who would have thought this??? I guess the grass is always greener on the other guys lawn.

I said this, in another thread here, yesterday and will state it, again, because it is so interesting, to me, particularly when you read how the players voted – for the best at the position against which they each directly play.

How differently the media, with the support votes of the Head Coaches, sees things, compared to the players, themselves.

There were 11 finalists last night for the league’s Outstanding Player Awards in 6 categories.
Of those 11 players, only 2 were chosen, by the players, as best in the league at their positions – Lewis Ward and Jeremiah Masoli.

Yeah but what do those players know about head coaches ? My only question about the voting would be is it balanced between east- west ?There are more players in the 5 team west as opposed to the 4 team east .

Pat Lynch (the old guy who’s a June Jones fan)

The league players didn’t take into account the mediocrity factor.

Well, when it comes to signing quality free agents
It can only be a good thing when players want to play for a certain Coach

Every player plays at least two games against every other team, with three against two teams in their own division. I doubt that those two extra games by one extra team would make that much of a difference in their voting.

Agreed that (and this goes for both sets of all-stars) they should select one kicker, one long snapper, and one returner. They also need a way to recognize other special team players (cover team and blockers), although I don’t see them picking two full 12-man ST units.

Isee your point on the fullback, but I think the idea is to limit the all-stars to 12 players on each side of the ball. Do they really need to include five receivers in their picks?

And then there’s the MLB, WLB, SLB issue. The players get it, but the league doesn’t in their selections.

I think you missed my point . :)There are more western players than eastern players . Would there be a bias toward your own conference when voting ? The other side of that coin, as pointed out by Grover, would explain June Jones being chosen head coach . The western players also believe he is a worthy pick.
Voting for someone that you believe is inferior, is just not what competitive people do .

Pat Lynch (the old guy)

I don’t think they’d have a conference bias. But I could be wrong.