cfl ownership

if cfl owners had money to spend like nfl owners do you think the cfl could attract big name football players???

No.

Most big name players prefer playing in front
of friends and family.

Next...

only if it meant more money than NFL would give them andor significantly increased playing time.

OF CORSE THE ONLY REASON MOST PLAYERS PREFER THE NFL IS THE $$$$$ . IF THE CFL GEERATED AS MUCH MONEY AS THE NFL WE COULD EASILY BE AHEAD OF THEM BECAUSE THE CFL IS A MUCH FASTER AND HIGHER SCORING GAME IT SLLOWS PLAYERS TO BE MORE CREATIVE WITH THE BALL . IF SALARIES WERE THE SAME, I AM SURE THAT THE PLAYERS WOULD RATHER BE IN CANADA AFTER ALL WE ARE THE BEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD!!!!!!!

Do you have to yell all the time?

sorry forgot to turn them off

for same money and same playing time, most american players would rather have the exposure and fame of the NFL. Dont kid yourself.

true but with the same money the CFL could afford to give players the same exposure and along with exposure comes fame . With the same money the CFL could then afford to broad cast the games globaly just like the NFL.

no, because the exposure the NFL players get comes through USA media, and no matter what, they are not gonna promote CFL any more than they do.

the us media is money driven they will promote who pays the most money to be promoted.hey bush pays alot of money to lie to the us public lol

the NFL doesnt give any money to the media. The networks give money to the NFL for tv rights. The USA people pay the rest of the media to print and talk about the NFL because thats what the USA people care about. They do not care about CFL or anything else that is not of their country.

Man Oh Man Are You Guys Way Off. Not A Chance Most Players Would Prefer To Play In The CFL If They Could Make Even The Same Amount As They Make In The nFL. Look At Rocket Ismail, Joe Thiesmann, Even Ricky Williams. Doug Flutie Told Reporters That He Would Still Be Playing In The CFL If He Could make Half What He Makes As A Backup In The nFL. I Just Watched My CFL Traditions DVD And There's An Interview With Warren Moon Where He Passionately Defends The Honour Of The CFL And The Talent Of The Players. Players Like Clemonds And Pringle Have Turned Down US Contracts To Stay And Play In Canada. Think Lumsden Or Palmer Would Be In The US If It Wasn't For The Money. Most Players Get Sweaped Up In The Multi-Million Dollar Contracts And Lose Any Sense Of Home Town Pride.

They do not care about the CFL because it was never propally exposed to the Us there fore the CFL would have to spend money on us TV to first get exposore to the CFL but then you are correct the networks would then bid on TV rights, The fan in the US is not exposed to other proffesional football leagues because no one has exposed the leagus to the mass (with one acception of the arena league.) The problem is that all thoose who have opposed the NFL have been crushed such as the usfl, afl(merged with NFL) and the AAFL(where clevland browns originated from)

Most Americans grow up dreaming of playing in the NFL ... for the same salary, I'm sure they'd rather play in their home country (especially when the alternative is a country where it "snows all the time"), in the league they grew up watching ...

But if the CFL offered higher salaries, I'm sure everyone would be fighting to get a roster spot up here. money talks ...

I'd rather see big bucks spent on promoting the Canadian game up here in Canada, so that it takes precedence over the NFL ... so that it's not taboo to love and discuss the CFL up here. Use the money to take those who prefer the NFL because they think it's "cooler" than the CFL, and turn them into CFL fans. Gauranteed if the CFL got more hype, these NFL fans would prefer the CFL.

Doug Flutie Told Reporters That He Would Still Be Playing In The CFL If He Could make Half What He Makes [b]As A Backup [/b]In The nFL
Thats the key point. He would not have come to Canada if he would have been Guaranteed the same money and playing time in the NFL. He did not like being a backup however.

As said above, it's all about the money for 90% of the players, any sport. You now see some average NHL Russian NHL guys returning to Russia because they can make the same money there and be in their home country. They don't care that the NHL is the supposedly best league in the world with the biggest arenas, couldn't care less. I guarantee if you offered Vince Young a much better deal than he got with the Titans to play with a CFL team, he would be here in a jiffy, just like Ismail did years ago.

I guarantee if you offered Vince Young a much better deal than he got with the Titans to play with a CFL team, he would be here in a jiffy
a better deal, yes. The same deal, no.

if we were on par with the NFL, I think we would get some more NFL talent, but not much, and not much that's useful for the CFL game. if we paied more, we would get more, but the NFL does have that grib on the US that's very hard to breack.

Prior to the formation of the AFL there were, I believe, 16 teams in the NFL. Add in 9 teams in Canada and that's 25 teams total. There were not a lot of options for all of the people who wanted to play pro ball. Now of course there are 38 teams going after talent. Expansion drives inflation. On top of that, the rosters for each team have increased in size. In the C from 32 to 47 and in the N from 37 to near 60. So those are two big problems that create competition for players amongst the teams.

So it comes down to supply and demand and right now the players are in the drivers seat. Sure the NFL has a cap, but that's a recent development. It was not imposed until after the salary level for non-starters was out-of-sight for CFL teams. There is no way that the CFL can compete on gate and ad revenues only.

The feds used to support the CFL through CBC contracts. The CBC lost millions but the CFL got a subsidy. That all ended when Canadians were dumb enough to elect tories to government. Every time those guys get elected they destroy at least one Canadian institution. Along with a healthy and diverse economy, the tories decided to kill the CFL by ordering massive cutbacks at CBC.

I've thought about this issue for a long time and I can see only one way to put the CFL back on track as an economically viable league that could attract talent. That is to have the feds match, dollar for dollar, monies raised by the league and the teams. There are several objections to this idea, not the least that Canadian tax dollars would go to pay USAnian players who take the money back across the border. On the other hand, how would that be different from anything else we do in this country?

I have been a diehard CFL fan for 40 yrs and a strong beleiver in Patriotism, however, not one tax dollar to be used to subsidize any pro sports in any way. That is not what we pay way too much taxes for.