CFL one-hit wonders

Charlton Keith.

Defensive player of the week to not making it through camp.

How about John Volpe who had that one great year out in BC. I still have his rookie card.

Back in the mid 1960s, the Alouettes, to a great amount of fanfare, signed this hotshot college running back out of Oklahoma by the name of Danny Houston.

In his first game in the CFL, he had I think 2 or 3 carries, blew out his knee, and was never heard of again. . .

Then there's the 2 US track stars, John Carlos and Tommy Smith. . .

What about Woo-woo Wooster? There were some media claims that the Ticats' signing him was bigger than the Argos signing Joe Theismann the same year.

Back in 1960 we signed highly touted Jim Joyce to be our next FB, he lost out to Don Soberdash, a much-less heralded RB who promptly blew out a knee and hung around until '61; I don't think he ever got into a game before "retiring". 

Terry Wellesley -(I played empty/corner lot FB with him) - he had scored 3 TDs for Ottawa in his first game , didn't do much else there, came to Hamilton as part of the Tony Gabriel trade, a little trumpeting in the press about another "local boy"  but he didn't do much here either and is lost in the mists of obscurity.

Wellesley was a Waterdown boy, wasn't he Merlin?

Good one

Weird guy that Yeast, but not a one hit wonder.
In 2004 Yeast had 59 catches for 1,184 yards (20.1 average) and 8 touchdowns. In 2005 Yeast had 65 catches for 1,010 yards .

Charlton Keith was a great one,
How about Tay Cody, and can Lumsden be considered a one hit wonder?

Doug Tank Landry...great player and great headcase.

Carver Shannon… a scat back we got from San Francisco 49ers in 1961— Jungle Jim Trimble was involved in this one… he came in the NFL airlift ran like the blazes then faded into the mists of history

course back then we got most of talent pool from the New York Giants… 8)

How about Darell Corbin ? what ever happen to that animal ....? or Scott Flagel ?

Some ages are being shown here ........LoL bunch of young men .

This one hurts, but, under the scope of the topic, I have to add in Travis Clairidge. In his first game for us, he totally dominated Montford. He even blocked 2 D-linemen with ONE FRICKIN HAND!!! Unfortunately, the next game, Travis suffered a terrible injury - a quadriceps separation - that ended his season.

The tragedy of it all, is the sad fact that Travis passed away during the off-season, from complications due to pneumonia and the painkiller Oxycontin. Travis had a huge heart, was INSTANT leadership on the O-line (and the team in general), and was already looking forward to working with kids in the community.

Rest in peace, Big Guy...

Romby Bryant

Bang on sigpig. That game where he eliminated Montford as a factor in the game was probably the best single-game performance I have ever seen from an offensive tackle. . . and I’ve been watching the game since the late 1950s.

Don McPherson.... a 5-minute (less?) wonder

It’s too bad that after that 1992 EDSF game, the team thought he’d be more than a one hit wonder.

What happened in his CFL career is documented here: http://www.geocities.com/cfl_historical … on.Don.htm

I couldn’t have said it better myself.

I wanted to see him play for this team for some time after that game. He may have been a one hit wonder, as that was sadly the only complete game he would play in this league. But it was one hit we will always remember.

When I knew him (our teen-age years) he lived in Ryckman’s Corners area - crossroads of Hwys 6 and 53, now Upper James and Rymal Road. He may have lived in Waterdown area after he was traded back to Ticats. Contacted Ticats office in late '70’s to find him for a reunion of the Ryckman’s Corners “gang” and was told by Ticats office that they didn’t know, to try the Ottawa Rough Riders office. Tried there, only to be told they had nothing; since he had been traded to Hamilton to try Ticats!

Agree with you guys. The closest I’ve seen in 50+ years were John Barrow, Nagurski, and Ellison Kelly

Flagel certainly doesn’t “qualify” for this list. He had a pretty good CFL career – 9 or 10 seasons total starting in WPG where he won the CFL Outstanding Canadian Award, then HAM, and Ottawa – a 3 time All-Canadian.