CFL OFFENSE GONE MISSING, BUT 3-0?

Chargers fan? Don’t take it as a threat from me but a heads up that you will probably be killed by a crazed fan.

Nope - not a Chargers fan either....
Argos and Bengals....

Would that be a crazed Ti-Cat fan or Raider fan? Either way they a both crazy! LOL

Hey roughyfan, after considering it I like your idea about "5 elephants".
Who needs steam bolts?

[quote="roughyfan"]Tom Brady who has threw more td passes through 10 games than anyone in the CFL for the entire season.

[quote]

Don't forget, New England is also running up the scores on teams like Buffalon, Washington, Miami...

I mean like throwing to the endzone on 4th down, in the 4th quarter, when they're up like 42-7

Uh huh. That’s why the Steelers hammered sad sack Miami. Because they were playing down to them. :roll:

Or maybe they’re just going through a “defensive phase”

I got a kick out of how the announcers were already making excuses for the kicker before he even kicked the only points in the game. Of course he nailed it with no problem whatsoever. Must have been the field.

As for the mighty 4-7 Bengals. They sure do make the 3-8 Raiders look horrible, especially since they’ve given up more points than the Raiders have. Good thing they have a game in Pittsburg coming up. They can pray for a bad field.

Too true rpaege - but I think its going to take a lot more than prayers and a bad field to help the Bengals out this season...

I don't think drastic rule changes are required other than I think it's time to go to 4 downs since the NFL now is looking and taking the smaller qb's and black qb's which we once got the cream of the crop of. 3 downs is tougher on the qb position to have to improvise more and since we don't employ our CIS grads who know 3 downs more, it means all of the CFL qb's have to learn the 3 downs first. I prefer 3 downs personally for a few reasons but you have to have the personell for it and it's crazy with the current system none of our qb's know it so I think the CFL should change this rule immediately. There's already enough to learn with the wider field and extra man which I think are still enough to keep the Canadian game distinct enough to satisfy people.

I think one of the most boring aspects in the CFL over the past couple of years has been kick and punt returns. That used to be the most exciting and now it is nothing.

Anything may be on the table for possible rule changes, but not the downs Earl.
3 downs is sacred.

argotom, in my books, I want the CFL to do whatever they have to do to keep the game entertaining to the average fan who doesn't understand the game that much nor the history and doesn't care. This isn't soccer where the soccer folks can't even get around artificial turf. This is North American sports where things change ie. no red line in hockey, designated hitter in American League, introduction of 20 sec clock in basketball etc. on and on and on. The CFL is really no different although there is a big aspect of Canadiana culture to it that other leagues don't have as much, even the NHL with the Canadian roots have gone to a shootout which Canadians don't need. The CFL needs to look at all aspects of the game and make change where change is good trying to retain I suppose some vistages of the Canadian game. The wider field, extra man and unlimited motion are my main things. 3 downs going to 4 isn't as big to me since American football even had 3 downs at one time, it was to make 5 yards but still.

The four down thing was brought in in a day when the forward pass was still relatively rare, when the style of play in the NFL was still three yards and a cloud of dust. That hasn't been an issue in the CFL in eighty years. If anything, now that the pass is commonplace in the NFL, that league should be thinking about going to three downs. Get rid of the fair catch too.

rp, I'd love the NFL and all American football to go 3 downs. But this will not happen. Don't you agree that with the CFL not getting as many Fluties, Moons nowadays, that with 4 downs it will make it a bit easier for the American qb's to learn the other aspects of the Canadian game and therefore it could make it a bit more open or maybe more sustained drives which equals entertaining to a lot of casual fans who don't really understand football? Of course we could start employing our Canadian CIS grads but that is a concept that won't go far I'm afraid.
All I'm saying is that the learning curve is a bit too steep perhaps as we aren't getting enough of the qb's we need to make 3 downs what it should be, more Flutie type roll-it stuff. Don't get me wrong though, me personally I'm happy with the way it is, heck, I just want some top level football to attend live in my city, I personally don't care if we go to all American rules to be quite honest.

Earl I can tell you if the CFL ever went to 4 downs, then without question and especially the nay sayers and pro NFL ers would consider the CFL as a feeder or minor league. The latter is already firmly entrenched in their minds.
Of course the rules, with the 3 downs as the number one reason is what makes this game unique as we already know and love.
Besides the Americans who always consider themselves as "World Champions", we can always same the same.

Your right do not fix something that is not broke. This occurs from time to time. A few years and you get a lack of offense and then bang lots of offense. Not to be concerned. I would not make to many rule changes other then some of the roughing the passer calls.

I think both Earl and Argotom make good points.

Maybe part of the reason we don't have as many Fluties nowdays is because of shorter contracts. The good ones get to their option year and bolt to the NFL given half a chance.

Also, good QBs are hard to find. Great ones are very rare. This also applies in the NFL, where there are really only a handful, maybe five, really quality QBs and all the rest are just average at best. Four downs hasn't really helped that situation at all; QB is the hardest position in all of football. The best the CFL can do is just keep doing what it does so well - finding the hidden gems. If it can get them for longer contracts that would also help.

Didn't read all the posts on this but since people are going to rag on about a 3-0 score take into consideration the 37-27 score in tonight's game . (good game BTY , much better from an competitive point of view then the Grey Cup). That Packer back-up looks not to bad and Tony Roma sure does look very good latley. Nothing wrong with offense of these teams.

Ya there are some low scoring NFL games but there have also been plenty of high scoring ones too , just like there plenty of low scoring CFL games as well as high scoring ones. So what's the point of bringing it up every time there is a low scoring NFL game ? Do we need to bring up every low scoring CFL game as well too? It happens in both leagues , so what? At least it isn't like soccer in either league with 2-1 being so common .

Really? Did the lead change five times like it did in the GC game?

Exactly what I was thinking rp.

Yes well said rp.

Making rule changes to accommodate the learning curve of players, or to make things easier for the offence, would be a HUGE mistake.

If we really want to see an increase in scoring, we could have the defence line up ten yards back, and give the offence five downs. Just imagine: teams would score every time they got the football! Scores like 63-56, where a team loses because the clock runs out before they manage to tie the score. Man, wouldn't that be exciting?

Wouldn't a better way to get an increase in scoring be to give offences a chance to adjust to the more complex defences with more complex schemes of their own? Eventually we'll start seeing higher scores, and people will want ridiculous rule changes to help defences: Go to two downs...ban all blocking beyond the line of scrimmage...eliminate the pass interference rule...a 20-yard penalty for holding.

Leave it as it is.