CFL off-season rosters

I do include the total players signed by each CFL team as at March 16,2013. I add a few comments.

Montreal: 75 players signed,i.e. 43 Imports and 32 Non-Imports. 5 QBs signed,including Non-Import Kyle Quinlan. 2 defensive players and 3 offensive players from the last 46-man roster are gone.

Saskatchewan: 75 players signed,i.e. 45 Imports and 30 Non-Imports. 3 QBs signed. 4 defensive players and 4 offensive players on the last 46-man roster are gone.

Calgary: 74 players signed,i.e. 43 Imports and 31 Non-Imports. 4 QBs signed. Brad Sinopoli is now listed as a WR,his position at next training camp,according to John Hufnagel. 3 defensive players and 3 offensive players on the last 46- man roster are gone.

Edmonton: 69 players signed, i.e. 34 Imports and 35 Non-imports. 4 QBs signed. There are 6 Non-Import DL on the current roster; I expect/would not be surprised if Non-Import DT Dan Oramasionwu is traded for a high-second round- draft choice; Calgary or Montreal or Toronto or Winnipeg could be a destination. 3 defensive players and 9 offensive players on the last 46-man roster are gone.

Toronto: 68 players signed, i.e. 44 Imports and 24 Non-imports. 4 QBs signed. 9 defensive players and 2 offensive players on the last 46-man roster are gone.

Winnipeg: 67 players signed, i.e. 34 Imports and 33 Non-imports. 4 QBs signed. 3 defensive players and 1 offensive player on last 46-man roster are gone.

BC: 54 players signed,i.e. 30 Imports and 24 Non-Imports. 3 QBs signed. 3 defensive players and 3 offensive players on the last 46-man roster are gone.

Hamilton: 51 players signed,i.e. 30 Imports and 21 Non-Imports. 3 QBs signed. 7 defensive players and 2 offensive players from last 46-man roster are gone.

When we look at the last 46-man rosters, we realize/conclude that Toronto and Hamilton will have the most changes on defence whereas Edmonton will have the most changes on offence. Winnipeg with 4 and Montreal with 5 have had the least changes from their last 46- man rosters.

Before training camp, Hamilton and Bc will most probably have to sign close to 25 players each. In terms of Non-Imports, BC,Toronto and particularly Hamilton have low numbers.

Richard

wow...great breakdown!
Interesting to see that 3 clubs are at (Calgary is -1) of the 75 limit for off-season, and will need to cut down to 68 before camp even starts!

While a few teams are at 75 or close to,these numbers don't include/take into account territorial exemptions,players that were drafted last season but did not make the team and are coming back; also, the draft choices of next may will not count.

I don't know how many exemptions each team has,presently, but I do know that the Als have 5,thus reducing the allowed players from 75 to 70.

Although there is nothing written in the CFL agreement between League and Players, last season team were allowed to keep 75 players + exemptions for training camps and not reduce to 68; they had to reduce to 60 players after the second pre-season game and, a few days later, to 46 +injured players. I don't know if it will be as such in 2013 or if teams will have to reduce to 68,before main training camps begin on June 2,2013.

Richard

Toronto: 68 players signed, i.e. 44 Imports and 24 Non-imports. 4 QBs signed.[b] 9 defensive players [/b]and 2 offensive players on the last 46-man roster are gone.
Thats crazy. Going to be a different defence in Toronto that is for sure.

Couple of big losses on the Argos D for sure, Armstead being the biggest one. But though the number lost on D (9) is quite high, you have to consider who some of those guys are that were lost. For instance, Adrino Belli IMO not a big loss. Also Ahmad Carroll is another one and he was decent but not spectacular, took quite a few PI calls, and probably not as hard to replace.

Sinopoli to WR? Thats unfortunate. He looked decent as a QB in his stint in preseason last year, still think he could be a developmental guy with another year or two of good coaching but who'll put in the work. Its unfortunate IMO.

Regarding Richards comment under Edmonton about Donny O being traded - a trade could happen but I would not expect it to be to Winnipeg. They let him walk last offseason without much fuss, Mack will not trade a pick or player to get him back. If they bring him back at all it will be if he's a FA.

Teams always find a way around that 75/68 number. First off that number is on the first day of main camp IIRC so some of the guys they'll have looked at during rookie camp and teams will pare down a couple of guys. Then the numbers are a bit fluid after that as some guys start sitting out because of injury or whatnot. Even with the teams already at/near the max roster limit a number of guys signed, particularly incoming rookies, may not even make it to camp depending on who else comes along that the team likes between now and then. Tough business. It is interesting though and I wonder if the numbers indicate any trends/preferences for the GMs of the respective teams. Those with the higher number maybe like to grab guys they like as soon as they can and then make tweaks as they go along when another guy they like better becomes available. Other GMs on the lower end may be waiting until after the CFL draft to fill out their needs after they get a better picture of what their roster may look like.

Rookies are non-counters.
non makers on 2nd stint are non-counters.

Rookies are counters,except CFL rookies; same with CFL rookies on 2nd stint.

All Imports,whether veterans or rookies do count.

Richard