CFL not progressing and getting stale

I am a huge supporter of the CFL but I have zero faith in the league commissioner. I haven’t seen one thing that shows that he is trying to grow this league to be bigger and better. We can’t even award an expansion team to a city. Sure he wants to make sure the new franchise is successful but if we have to really worry about a city that for decades has been wanting a franchise then there should be no issue regarding fan support.
Then they announce this CFL 2.0. Really? How about lets get people in North America and more so in Canada to buy into the product before we worry about the rest of the world. Be creative in improving the game. This league has been around for a very long time and nothing is perfect from day one. There’s nothing wrong with making changes to a game that is stale and hasn’t evolved. Salary cap being 5 million dollars? how can anyone take the league seriously?

Why not make changes? Try something new, tweak the game.

This league is not new. People are tired of seeing the same teams week over week play each other again and again. I’m tired of hearing people ridicule numerous things about this league. End zone size, single point rule, three downs, even the ball looking bush league with the white stripes. Those white stripes only make a throw that isn’t a spiral look terrible. Get rid of them. Stop talking about history and it being CDN and don’t change it.

Even the NHL made changes to the great Canadian game. why can’t the CFL?

2 Likes

I can understand your frustration, but change is near and team 10 is coming.
The Commish has a plan and talks about it openly, at least more openly then his
predecessors. Trust the process.

Its hard to trust a process when its always years away.

1 Like

What would you do if you were Commissioner?

Based on the rest of your post above, I find it difficult to believe your first eight words.

1 Like

I agree with you with respect to Randy Ambrosie. His focus has been on the trivial as opposed to on the bottom-line issues that might grow the league.

Change is fine, but not in the direction of making our game more similar to that played south of the border. We should if anything make the Canadian game even more distinctive.

???

1 Like

the game is great. don’t need to be changes. if I live another 100 yrs, I will still love this game. good things don’t have to change, and in some cases, should not change. no such thing as stale. I take the league very seriously.

1 Like

Making a canadian NFL will not solve anything

1 Like

The game changes every year, and every year people complain about those changes.

It’s impossible to please everyone.

What changes, Argofan13, would you like exactly?

I am quite surprised that some here are slagging the commish.
I thought he has been refreshing for a change when compared to the previous lot.
His ideas to include playing games outside the country for one is refreshing on its own.
Also, actively involved to get Halifax on board.

I am a huge supporter of the CFL. I’m also a huge supporter of change that will grow the popularity of the game.

The NHL has done it. I don’t see anyone saying it ruined the game. Hockey is at its highest popularity ever.

MLS originally had their own style of rules and the inherited the global game for the best. Now the MLS is the most attractive game to the growing sports fan in both Canada and the US.

This notion of being distinctive or “distinctively Canadian” is a pile of crap. If keeping it distinctive was the savior to the CFL why is it struggling in the major markets? You need to make changes for the best. That might not sit well with the minority of CFL fans across the country but you need to appeal to the next generation of potential fans.

I’m open to any changes that will give the league a buzz. Even if its radical changes. If it grows the league I’m all for it. That’s being a fan.

This league has been sitting in neutral for the longest time. Time to make some big changes if we want this league to grow.

Wich changes would you like to see?

What’s changed so much year over year? Please explain?

Take the stripes off the ball. removing the stripes makes every throw look good. removing any notion that a pass isn’t a spiral. might be a small thing but it makes a difference. The ball also loooks much better minus the stripes. ( a bit hard to explain in text). I hope you get what I mean.
Change the length of the endzones. You don’t need twenty yards and this will also help standardize all the fields across the league.
take away the one yard neutral zone for the line of scrimmage.
Expansion, expansion, expansion for the league. This isn’t a start up league. Its been around a very long time and to have 9 or even 10 is not enough teams.
I’d even go as far as experiment with adding a fourth down. Why not? See how the game looks with an extra down.
Increase the salary cap.
get rid of single points on field goals and punts if the ball does not stay in play. The ball has to be returnable in order for the kicking team to get a point.
I’d even look at expanding into the US again. there are a lot of areas that it will work. The previous try was not put together well. But it can be successful.

That’s a few things I would look at.

If you want- 4 downs, no one yard off the line of scrimmage, make endzones smaller, sounds like you want the NFL and you don’t have to complain about the CFL then. I’m just saying!

Thank you.

2 Likes

Perfect example of what I like to call a “snooze thread”. Not even worth any more thoughts than that.

Ok, here’s a thought, the universe is getting stale, our planet just keeps rotating around the Sun in Milky Way galaxy and the stars in the sky and planets do the same thing year in year out with no change at all from us here on planet Earth as we rotate around the Sun for the trillionath time, spring, summer, fall, winter, round and round we go - stale. Come on universe or whoever controls it, let’s make it more exciting for pete sakes. :-* :-* :-* :-*

I forgot to mention we are all born, living and we are all going to die. Stale once again, too predictable. 8)

I’m a football fan. Regardless of the league. But that doesn’t work for everyone.

Possibly stream lining it a bit won’t be a bad thing. I just want to see the league do well and right now its not. No matter what they say about TSN ratings. Show me sold out stadiums every week. Buzz around the city. People wanting season tickets. The way it is now there is no buzz. An Argos/Ticat game in Toronto can’t even fill a stadium. We’re talking two markets combined of over 3 million people. You can’t just rely on rivalries of yesterday.

If making some of these changes created much more fan interest and grew the league wouldn’t it be a good thing? People need to stop this “if you like the NFL watch the NFL”. That’s so ignorant.

Give it up there Argofan. You’re too funny. You want the CFL to be among the 4 majors, American controlled major leagues, well it ain’t that and can never be and if you don’t get that, what can I say, you just don’t get the CFL and never will. It ain’t the majors. And isn’t supposed to be be.

It’s about who wins the Grey Cup, national football champs of Canada, mug since 1909. Not rocket science.

My 2 cents worth on your thoughts :

Take the stripes off the ball. removing the stripes makes every throw look good. removing any notion that a pass isn’t a spiral. might be a small thing but it makes a difference. The ball also loooks much better minus the stripes. ( a bit hard to explain in text). I hope you get what I mean.

Leave the stripes alone

Change the length of the endzones. You don’t need twenty yards and this will also help standardize all the fields across the league.

I’m cool with this one!

take away the one yard neutral zone for the line of scrimmage.

Not on your life, that yard makes for harder collisions at the line

Expansion, expansion, expansion for the league. This isn’t a start up league. Its been around a very long time and to have 9 or even 10 is not enough teams.

I’m cool with this one too!

I’d even go as far as experiment with adding a fourth down. Why not? See how the game looks with an extra down.

Not on your life, if that’s what you want, there’s the NFL enjoy!

Increase the salary cap.

I’m cool with this one too!

get rid of single points on field goals and punts if the ball does not stay in play. The ball has to be returnable in order for the kicking team to get a point.

A rouge should only be given when the ball is actually returnable.

I’d even look at expanding into the US again. there are a lot of areas that it will work. The previous try was not put together well. But it can be successful.

Let’s get maxed out in our backyard before we try that again.

…make endzones one yard deep…