CFL-NFL Skills Competition

As it is highly unlikely that there will ever be another match-up of CFL and NFL teams, how about a skills competition? TSN should pick up on this idea!!!

What kind of match-ups? What kind of skills?

Great idea really! Love to see it even if it's more a fun type thing.

Lets see.
Entertainment value Point CFL
Overpayed players Point NFL
Overhyped game Point NFL

It just came to me with the recent advent of the Pros Vs Joes and back in the day, the CBC show that soccer star Brian Budd always won because he was in better shape than the NHL and CFL guys...

I remember.
The American team had 7 players and everyother country had 1
Brian Budd won three years in a row and they came up with a new rule stating 3 years was the max you could compete

Yea but were the skills geared towards aerobic type stuff rather than more weights? I haven't seen too many soccer players with arms that look too much different than tooth picks. But from an endurance point of view, soccer players would rule I'm sure, you don't see fat soccer players, for a reason.

as per wikipedia(ugh)
Competitors participate in 10 different sporting events, including a 100 metre sprint, 800 metre (half-mile) run, obstacle course race, weightlifting, football (soccer), rowing, tennis, bicycle racing, gym test, and swimming.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superstars

As I vaguely recall, the CBC show was non-sport specific. With a CFL-NFL skills competition, it would be great to see a variety of standard football skills tests, some pass drills, some punt return drills. It could be awesome!

NFL would never do it. Too much of a chance to look bad vs CFL competition. Not good for marketing.

Interesting point, but I see this as primarily for Canadian consumption. Even if the CFL stars won, I don't think it would make one ounce of difference to the NFL. It might make an editorial here or there stateside, but that would be about it. If the CFL won, however, it would help dispell the misperceptions some Canadians hold towards their own brand of football...and that is the big marketing dilemma facing the CFL right now. :cowboy:

I agree it could be really good for the CFL

I remember that! He dominated!

How about a reality show for some junior football players from across the country to get a shot at going to a CFL training camp ?

I remember the show which you are all talking about, I think it was called "Superstars" and it was produced by ABC Sports/NBC Sports. It was the station that came up with the rule that you could only win it three times in a row because it was being dominated by a Canadian soccer player. I don't recall anyone else from outside of the U.S. competing in the series.

Hey BobbyP, that's a good idea as well! :cowboy:

edit

No one is overpaid in the sense that they get a contract from whomever and that is that. They put their price up and someone agrees to that price, simple really.

Now of course it's easy to say someone playing a sport making millions is overpaid compared with a surgeon who is saving lives doing complicated surgery. But that type of comparision is just plain wrong, like comparing apples to oranges, different industries alltogether and businesses.

I like the CFL though where I know the money I'm paying for tickets is going to a guy earning, on average, $50,000-$80,000. I don't like paying money for tickets where the average salary of a guy is $250,000, I can't explain it but that's the way it is with me.

SKILLS I SEEN THE BEST CFL PLAYER ALREADY AGAINST THE NFL IN THE NCAA.....THE NFL HAS THE ELITE PLAYERS IN ITS LEAGUE.....TO BE HONEST UNTIL THE CFL REMOVES THE IMPORT RATIO IT WILL ALWAYS BE AT A DISATVANTAGE.....THE CFL WILL NEVER PULL A REGGIE BUSH TO IT LEAGUE IT DOESNT HAVE THE MONEY TOO.....THE NFL IS WHAT FOOTBALL IS ALL ABOUT IN THE WORLD.....SECOND TOO THE NCAA.....NOT SAYING CFL OR CIS PLAYERS ARE NOT SKILLED BUT BE HONEST THE NCCA IS A FACTORY IN FOOTBALL FACT IS BECAUSE THE USA HAS A BIG WALLET WE WILL HAVE THE BEST PLAYERS

bla bla bla!
Still havent found the cap lock key have you?

Who left the door open?
The trolls are comming in!