CFL - NFL Exhibition Game

I know there exist a plethora of reasons as to why this will never happen in the modern era or football.

However, with the Bills - Toronto Series and the obvious push on the part of Rogers / MLSE to win over the hearts and minds of the sports consumer, I really think it would be to the CFL's benefit to have one of its clubs openly challenge the NFL to a friendly contest.

Now aside from scheduling and union issues, the biggest reason why this wouldn't happen is because the NFL and those with interest in Toronto's landing an NFL team would be the only ones with something to lose.

Those with deep knowledge in football know that the economic disparities between the two leagues don't equate to disparities in talent, quality or entertainment value. The problem is that the casual sports consumer doesn't necessarily understand this. This is no more evident than in the GTA where people will go broke to see the Maple Leafs, but leave the Marlies to play in an empty arena.

I think an exhibition between a CFL and NFL team played to hybrid rules or a home & home series would break down the notion of utter supremacy that many CFL haters hold of the NFL. I'm confident the CFL club would hold their own in a hybrid match and win definitely in Canadian rules.

I enjoy football of all varieties, I just beleive the CFL is worthy of a little more respect in Southern Ontario.

I would rather everyone think of the clubs in the CFL as legitimate professional football teams, entitled to their territory and not as any less than those of the NFL.

An exhibition contest might be the way to legitimize this to everyone.

We win every time playing our rules and they win with their boring rules.

An obstacle would be the cost of getting the NFL team to take part in such a game.

Ii still say this is a no-win, lose-lose proposition for both teams.

If the NFL wins some very vocal people, particularly in the media, on both sides of the border say just use it as a reason to denigrate the CFL, and if the CFL won it would be a MAJOR embarrassment for the NFL and the CFL detractors would just call it a fluke.

However, I totally agree that "Those with deep knowledge in football know that the economic disparities between the two leagues don't equate to disparities in talent, quality or entertainment value. The problem is that the casual sports consumer doesn't necessarily understand this."

That is very well stated, but I just don't see how a CFl-NFL game would change this. The media would either ignor it if the CFL won or crucify it if the NFL won. The casual sports consumer would be none the wiser either way.

edited - trolling (again)

Well stated for sure. But let's not be too quick to jump on this as totally negative for the CFL if the CFL gets beat, as long as it's not by say 7-8 td's or anything. Why you ask? Here's why: bringing fans of the CFL and NFL together in one venue, along with those that might like both, is just a win-win for everyone, comaraderie and all of that. The way it is now with just the Bills thing, I just don't want to go since I'm afraid I'll be surrounded by what I call "NFL idiots". With a CFL-NFL game, there will be more a melting pot and good natured fun I think, both fans are there knowing what happens, happens. It would just be fantastic I think, I'd love it to happen and would respect the NFL much more, the "NFL venture in Canada" that is. And the CFL would get more respect also from "NFL idiots" seeing the NFL doesn't mind playing a CFL team and legitimizing the CFL more in their minds if the NFL says it's ok to play a game together.

Wasn't that the whole McGill vs Harvard thing back in the 1870's, we won with our rules, lost at theirs? I think the same would happen again, espescially with half of our teams being Candian. I'm not sure how strong Baltimore was when BC played them in 1994, but a half Canadian team beat an all American team.

I don't think we'd lose. I think the media wouldn't ignore it if the NFL lost, they would say wow, and most people would be like wow, the CFL really is its own professional league with different rules which makes it not a minor league and the NFL fans that hate on the CFL can finally shut their mouths.

much has been made about the cfl nfl games in the fifties , and how the nfl dominated, But there were some lopsided nfl games in that era as well_ re from tobin rotes bio_"The next Sunday at home in Briggs Stadium, the Lions won their third championship in six years with a 59-14 demolition of the Cleveland Browns. That championship game may have been arguably Rote's finest hour in the NFL. He completed 12 of 19 passes for 280 yards and four touchdowns, and ran for another in the one-sided affair. "

Excellent points Mass!