CFL NEEDS TO SUPPORT THE CIS TOO STAY ALIVE

I THINK THE CFL NEEDS TO MARKET BETTER…LOOK THEY HAD THE CIS NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP WITH THE GREY CUP AND ONLY HAD A DRAW OF 30,000 FANS.FOOTBALL IN THE USA IS POPULAR AT THE PRO LEVEL BUT ITS MORE POPULAR AT THE HIGH SCHOOL AND COLLEGE LEVEL.I THINK MORE AMERICAN KNOW WHO ERIC GLAVIC IS THAN CANADIAN QUARTERBACK FROM THE UNIVERSITY OF ST MARYS.HE WILL GET A FEW NFL LOOKS BUT I THINK HE WILL END UP IN THE CFL.IF FOOTBALL AS YALL KNOW IN CANADA IS TOO SURVIVE WHY NOT TAKE IN A FEW CIS GAMES.THE NFL SEASON IS OVER NOW IS THE DRAFT I DONT SEE NOBODY IN THIS ROOM TALKING ABOUT WHO WILL BE THE FIRST CANADIAN KID TAKEN.ALL I SEE IS A BUNCH OF PEOPLE TALKING ABOUT THE NFL.IF THE NFL COMES TO TOWN YALL WILL DESTROY YALL-SELVES BY JUST FOCUSING IN ON THE NFL AND NOT CANADIAN FOOTBALL AS A WHOLE AS MORE CIS SCHOOLS JOIN THE NCAA AND COMPETE THE ERA OF CANADIAN FOOTBALL WILL DIE A SLOW PAINFUL DEATH IT STARTS AT THE GRASSROOTS HIGH SCHOOL AND COLLEGE WHICH YALL DONT SUPPORT

shhh, inside voices please.

It is a Canadian tradition not to support their high school and college athletes in any way. Even family and friends usually shun them (witnessing the sparse crowds for the Manitoba CIS playoff football games where the players on the sidelines easily outnumbered the fans in the stands). The organizers were thrilled to draw 30,000 to the Vanier Cup, even if the tickets were free.

True enough Xuys about this Canadian tradition. Sad but true.

Glavic is a legend. He better get serious looks by some CFL clubs next spring.

St Marys also recruited a new young QB by the name of Jack Creighton who is a protege of Glavic.

Oooh how i love the huskies!

Excellent program the Huskies have had over the years. Do they offer more scholarships compared with Ontario schools I wonder?

Breaking news. I'm going to agree with Sanduskyohiobro for once.

Canadians don't support High School and College sports enough. When I lived in the Lower Mainland, I used to go across the border to Blaine, Lynden and Ferndale Washington. There were Bill Boards promoting an upcomming game. The local food store would have "Game Snack Specials" on sale. Drive-ins would have deals that if you brought your ticket stub in, you'd get 40% of Hamburgers, pizza etc,etc. I was totally blown away on how the Americans support their High Schools and Colleges.

It would be interesting to really understand why this has ended up being the cases in the two countries. I suppose lots of reasons when you get down to it.

I think it boils down to "community spirit". Americans are proud of their communities and see it as their civic duty to support their student athletes and alma maters.

Canadians are largley selfish and introspective, asking "what's in it for me?".

Perhaps it boils down to our perceptions about our political system. In the U.S., it is "for the people, by the people". In Canada our gov't are remote and unnaccountable and "tell the people what is good for them". Most Canadians feel frustrated and cynical about their politicians, while Americans demand that their gov't be accountable (right down to their Chief of Police and Judges.) Here they instead will just taser honest citizens and let the criminals run free...then tell us its for our own good.

I got crapped on by a Gee-Gees coach once because he misunderstood a comment I made. I said that the # of Ottawa players on the Gee-Gees was surprisingly low (about a third) for the program. He thought I was saying they do a crap job of recruiting, when in fact I was trying to make the point that you'd think such a good program wpould be a big draw for locals.

In event, he pointed out to me that Ontario schools can not offer certain incentives that outside schools do, so they often lose players outside the province. I checked once and Concordia had almost as many Ottawa players as the University of Ottawa.

That said, the Atlantic teams should all have the same restrictions, so that St-Mary's is always a quality team in that area still speaks for itself.

I think there’s more to it than that. People often assume that if it’s not at the top level, it’s crap.

For lack of another option, I’ve very much gotten into the junior and CIS stuff over the past couple of years and I absolutely love it. If and when a team is restored here, I’ll continue to support them.

Im not totally sure on the # of schollarships, but they do offer a decent amount. Every school in the east coast can offer and do offer roughly the same amount of schollarships, and recruit across the country and in the new england states.

st marys is a step ahead because they recruit the very best in every league and corner of the country. their allumini support the football program to the most you could ask for, they know how to build a winning program, and the school, and the community of Halifax really gets behind the Huskies. This sets them apart from the rest.

i cannot wait to go there next year.

Unless things have changed the OUA teams can now offer about $1,000 for student athletes. Not much when compared to the US scholarships and what teams like St. Mary's can offer. It's sad to see a huge university like Toronto put so little into their sports programs. It is not that they can't afford it.

Yes DB, I do find it strange how the U of T operates really rinky dink with their sports programs. Strange for such a large university.

SFU was banned from competing against CIS schools for over 30 years, because SFU dared to offer $500 scholarships to student athletes. They joined the NAIA, instead. Incidentily, both SFU and UBC have just been accepted into the NCAA, the first Canadian schools to have done so.

Perhaps we shouldn't paint too broad of brush concerning the lack of support for our University sports. St. Mary's, Western, Laval and many other programs often attract large crowds for their football games. CIS basketball also has fans that come out and enjoy the games.

XVYS, they are applying, I don’t beleive they or any other Canadian University have ben accepted yet. The rulling only came down a few weeks ago. But you make a couple of good points anyways.

It would be great if the CFL could work in closer collaboration with the CIS, but there is the issue that Athletic scolarships are extremely limited in Canadian Schools.

It would make sense for the CFL to invest in teh CIS as much as possible because of the need for Canadian talent, but I could imagine that they are limited in their ability to do so.

Something that could be more emidiate is using the CFL product to promote CIS ie. hosting more double headers through the Season instead of just the Vanier cup, or offering CIS tickets to CFL Season ticket holders.

past that i'm at a loss. any thoughts? (dangint, the CFL will never give me a job if i keep given them my thoughts for free!!! ha ha.)

I believe there’s more to it than that. We’re a hockey nation where good crowds show up for most games even at the community club level. The US supports ‘Made in the USA’ sports only as the overall interest in hockey and soccer indicates.

High School football is, in many communities, the only game in town of any importance. Theatres or other entertainments are virtually absent. One can’t drink beer at high school baseball games so those are poorly attended. Since football is the preferred sport the student athletes get the same level of coaching as do our hockey athletes, So of course the quality of play is far better than what we have here and tends to draw interest.

University crowds are huge, but misleading. Season tickets to football and basketball are included in student fees and alumni fees. As the big colleges are located in small cities with few other attractions it’s no wonder that the crowds are huge as there is nothing much better to do. Friends of mine who have attended US colleges attest that the ‘other’ sports draw flies. One mentioned that the first place finish by the swim team at a recent meet was buried beneath a major story about new pads for the football team.

There is also a reluctance to invest in facilities in Canada. Years ago there was a push to have an indoor hockey rink in every small community that had enough kids to create a team. You can still see most of those airplane-hanger type rinks all over the country. Most are now in disrepair as the will to maintain them has fallen away. Maintaining football facilities is out of the question.

So if we want football to get anywhere in this country we need the same level of political commitment as hockey. Hockey Canada has a huge budget with the main intent of developing talent and shipping it out of the country. Sort of a hockey-welfare system for US consumers. If the same effort was put into football we would develope a lot more players but at a huge cost.

What’s the way out? Well in the US amateur football is heavily subsidized. We could do the same here but even many of the Forum dwellers are against that. What I would like to see would be for the CFL to obtain the status of a charitable organization. As a charity fans would be able to write-off their game tickets as donations and the feds would be required to match dollar for dollar. Many charities put on shows to raise money using professional talent to draw the crowds, so that is really no different from the CFL having professional teams compete at their events. So long as at least 10% of revenue goes to the charitable work of developing young athletes the league should qualify.

XVYS, they are applying, I don't beleive they or any other Canadian University have ben accepted yet. The rulling only came down a few weeks ago. But you make a couple of good points anyways.
It was announced by the NCAA a couple of weeks ago that they have been accepted into the NCAA Div.II, starting this Fall. They can apply for full Div.I status in 2010, but they allowed to compete in one Div. 1 sport this Fall.

UBC has played the U. of Washington Huskies in football and basketball exhibition games fairly regularily over the years…and usually have their caps handed to them. So they may stick to hockey, soccer or volleyball in Div.I, for the time being.

http://www.nationalpost.com/sports/story.html?id=237431

Something I had wished that the Renegades would have done is enter into a deal where if you present a Gee-Gees regular season ticket when buying a CFL game ticket, you get the value of the CIS off your pro ticket. It's basically a two-for one sale.

I like your double-header idea though I don't know how that would work with the various networks. I do wish the CFL would do more to promote games and its "stars of tomorrow".