CFL Mount Rushmore

CFL MOUNT RUSHMORE

Hello,

The NFL did a special on NFL Films a few years back where various fans, writers, past executives, coaches, and players, had a debate on who should be on the Mount Rushmore on each team. Why not do the same for CFL Teams.

For this, you might have a player where it could be on 2 or 3 teams due to longevity in the league, but played for various teams. (I.E. Doug Flutie can be on BC, Toronto, and Calgary. He won Grey Cups in both Toronto and Calgary), This is just one example of where he can be slotted for all 3 teams if you like. It does not have to be all players. You can add a GM or a Coach as well. If you want to add an Honorable Mention(s), by all means go ahead. Furthermore, you can pick someone even with a short stint, but left a mark in the years they played (I.E. Alex Singleton)
Now let’s have fun with this.

BC

Geroy Simon
All-time CFL leader in yards. Most career TD’s as a BC Lion.

Lui Passaglia
Best all-time kicker and a BC Lions fan favorite. 25 years with one team. Unbelievable.

Damon Allen
Most yards thrown for a BC Lions QB. Won a Grey Cup in 2000 for the BC Lions.

Wally Buono
In my opinion the best Coach / GM in the CFL, and one of the best in football period.

Honorable Mentions: Mervin Fernandez, Jim Young, Emmanuel Arceneaux, Willie Fleming, Sean Millington, Roy DeWalt, Travis Lulay, Joe Kapp, Dave Dickenson, Solomon Elimimian, Adam Bighill, Corey Banks, Larry Crawford, James “Quick” Parker, Cameron Wake, and Brent Johnson.

Edmonton

Jackie Parker
Well before my time. However, you cannot count out the players on what they have done in the past no matter what era. You will never see football now where players were multi positional players like him. Jackie Parker was a Quarterback, Running Back, Defensive Back, and Kicker. He was part of the Edmonton’s original dynasty in the 50’s. He is a Grey Cup Champion in 1954, 1955, and 1956.

Ricky Ray
Most passing yards for Edmonton. 2-time Grey Cup Champion while in Edmonton. One of the best Quarterbacks period.

Henry “Gizmo” Williams
Without a doubt, one of the most exiting players to ever play in this league. An amazing special team’s returner and Wide Receiver.

Normie Kwong. A foundational player who was part of the original Edmonton Dynasty. 9022 Rushing Yards, along with 72 Touchdowns. 4-time Grey Cup Champion in 1948 (Calgary), 1954, 1955, and 1956 (Edmonton).

Honorable Mentions: “Dr. Death” Dave Fennell, Warren Moon, Dan Kepley, Johnny Bright, Brian Kelley, Danny Bass, Larry Wruck, Larry Highbaugh, Willie Pless, Rod Connop, Tom Wilkinson, Dave Cutler, and Hugh Campbell.

Calgary

Allen Pitts
As a kid watching the CFL, he was a wide receiver that would be like what Jerry Rice was in the NFL. He always came up with catches. He was a go to target and was Mr. Automatic. His yards after the catch were even better. He made it a long day for many defenses. 2-time Grey Cup Champion, 14,891 yards receiving, and 117 Touchdowns.

Nik Lewis
Another great Wide Receiver that donned the Calgary red for most of his illustrious football career. In his 1st 9 years in Calgary, he massed over 1000 yards. Another great receiver similar to Allen Pitts on coming up with big catches, along with yards after the catch. 2-time Grey Cup Champion, 13,778 yards, and 68 Touchdowns.

Wally Buono
Refer to BC notes.

Doug Flutie
Without a doubt the most electrifying Quarterback to play in the CFL. Weather it was in BC, Calgary, or in Toronto, Flutie was a player that was an instant game breaker. Flutie was a player that would get the most out of every player who played on his teams. Cue up the YouTube Videos, and that’s all I have to say.

Honorable Mentions: Alondra Johnson, Rocco Romano, Jon Cornish, Kelvim Anderson, Dave Sapunjis, Charleston Hughes, Will Johnson, Lloyd Fairbanks, Fred Childress, and Alex Singleton

Saskatchewan

In Saskatchewan’s Football History, no 2 players are not more intertwined than without mentioning Ron Lancaster and George Reed. They are Paul McCartney and John Lennon. They are Jimmy Paige and Robert Plant. Both are immortal in the history of the Saskatchewan Roughriders.

In keeping with this theme, I’m going with both Wide Receivers in Ray Elgaard and Don Narcisse. Part 2 of the Paige and Plant, and Lennon and McCarthy.

Honorable Mentions: Roger Aldag, Vince Goldsmith, Bobby Jurasin, Andy Fantuz, Rob Bagg, Darian Durant, Jeff Fairholm, Weston Dressler, Gene Makowsky, Dave Ridgway, Wes Cates, Kent Austin, Glen Suitor, Willie Jefferson, and Hugh Campbell.

Winnipeg

Milt Stegall. All-Time CFL Leader in Receiving Yards at 16,352, and Touchdowns at 144.

Bud Grant. The architect of the Winnipeg dominance by winning Grey Cups as a coach in 1958, 1959, 1961, and 1962.

Doug Brown. An electrifying Defensive Lineman that has been a cornerstone for a long time wearing the Winnipeg colours.

James Murphy. In the 80’s, one of the most electrifying Wide Receivers in the game.

Honorable Mentions: Greg Battle, Barrin Simpson, Charles Roberts, Cal Murphy, Chris Walby, Andrew Harris, Ernie Pitts, Javon Johnson, James West, Ken Ploen, Tom Clements, and Matt Dunigan.

Ottawa

Russ Jackson. Best Canadian born Quarterback to ever play in the CFL. Led Ottawa to Grey Cups in 1960, 1968, and 1969.

Tony Gabriel. Electrified fans in both Hamilton and Ottawa. Russ Jackson’s favorite Wide Receiver. His CFL Totals are 9832 Receiving Yards, along with 69 Touchdowns.

Wayne Smith. The Captain of the “Capital Punishment” Defense.

Henry Burris. Long time CFL Veteran with many teams. Hall of Famer. Put Ottawa on his back to a Grey Cup Championship in 2016.

Honorable mentions: Sir Wilfred Laurier, Sir John A. MacDonald, Alexander Mackenzie, Sir John Abbott, Sir John Thompson, Sir, Mackenzie Bowell, Sir Charles Tupper, Sir Wilfred Laurier, Sir Robert Borden, Arthur Meighen, William Lyon Mackenzie King, R. B. Bennett, Louis St. Laurent, John Diefenbaker, Lester B. Pearson, Pierre Trudeau, Joe Clark, John Turner, Brian Mulroney, Kim Campbell, Jean Chretien, Paul Martin, Stephen Harper, and Justin Trudeau. LOL.

Hamilton

Earl “The Pearl” Winfield. In the same boat of watching Henry Williams and Michael Clemons; with soon to be on this list in Brandon Banks. Every time Earl Winfield touched the ball, he would lift you off your seat. In the 80’s and 90’s, he was a top 4 – 5 players in this league that was a gamebreaker every time he touched the ball.

Angelo Mosca. “King Kong” Mosca. The face of the Hamilton Defense in the 60’s and 70’s.

Garney Henley. Just like Jackie Parker of playing multiple positions, Garney Henley was just that. Probably one of the best all round defensive players in the history of the CFL.

Less Browne. Interception King.

Honorable Mentions: Grover Covington, John Barrow, Joe Montford, Brandon Banks, Bernie Custis, Chuck Ealey, Bernie Faloney, Rocky DiPietro, Ralph Sazio, Joe Zuger, Hal Patterson, Tommy Joe Coffey, Paul Osbaldiston, Justin Medlock, Tommy Grant, Tony Champion, Danny McManus, Delvin Breaux, Simoni Lawrence, Rob Hitchcock, Mike Kerrigan, and All Bruno.

Montreal

Anthony Calvillo. All-Time CFL Passing Leader. 3-Time Grey Cup Champion in 2002, 2009, and 2010.

Marv Levy. Coached Montreal to Grey Cup victories in 1974 and 1977.

Ben Cahoon. 13,301 Receiving Yards and 65 Touchdowns. A go to guy in clutch moments.

Michael Pringle. All-Time Leading CFL Rusher. An amazing Running Back to watch.

Honorable Mentions: SJ Green, Brian Chu, Scott Flory, Tracy Ham, Chip Cox, Elfrid Payton, Marv Luster, Barron Miles, Davis Sanchez, Anwar Stewart, Hal Patterson, Peter Dalla Riva, Wally Buono, Sam Etcheverry, and Jamel Richardson.

Toronto

Michael “Pinball” Clemons. Then only person I ever met that always has a smile on his face. He is Mr. Positive. Now reference the same notes as Doug Flutie. The clips say it all. You know you have respect by Hamilton fans when you wear a Clemons jersey in Hamilton; the fans will say: “I hate the Argonauts with a passion, but I love Clemons”.

Dick Schatto. Great Running Back for the Argonauts. All – time leading Argonauts rusher.

Rodney Harding. Sack leader in an Argonauts uniform. He was a favorite to watch.

Doug Flutie. Reference Calgary notes.

Honorable Mentions: Chris Shultz, Don Moen, Gene Mack, Cookie Gilcrest, Bob O’Billovich, Matt Black, Dick Thornton, Mike O’Shea, Chad Folk, Paul Masotti, Dan Ferrone, Adrian Smith, Lance Chomyc, Mike Eben, Jim Stillwagon, Derrell K. Smith, Bill Symons, Derrell Michell, Terry Greer, Condredge Holloway, Clifford Ivory, Bashir Levingson, Byron Parker, Ricky Ray, Damon Allen, Ulysses Curtis, Reggie Pleasant, Orlando Steinauer, Kevin Eiben, Ed Berry, and Harrold Hallman.

1 Like

No to Damon Allen. Many more way more worthy for Lions.

As a Stamp fan . I will say what many seem afraid to say. Doug Flutie was a great and special player, but under delivered when it matter most. I put Bo Levi Mitchell up long before I put up Flutie. People tend to but a shine of Flutie that I just don't think was always there. Great regular season numbers mean nothing when you don't deliver the hardware
Also- what about Hufnagel??

Mrstallion,

As long as the list I did with mainly honorable mentions, there are a lot other players you can still add for each team. At some point, Bo Levi will be on that list for sure.

how exactly did Flutie under deliver?

Where are all the cups? 1992 aside I don't see any.
Blowing teams away by 30 points and routinely putting up 300-400 yards passing from July through September is great, but where were the November victories??

Championships are a poor measure of a players worth and efficiency on the field.

In 94, when the lions came back to win in that incredible last drive, Flutie had done his job well. The loss was on the D. Often that is the case.

If you look at his whole CFL career, he won 2 more Grey Cups in 96 and 97

That would be a valid argument where we debating the Toronto Argonauts Mount Rushmore. Those 2 GC's mean nothing to the Calgary Stampeders history

I disagree that Championships are a poor measure, but besides GC victories (2- Bo Levi, 1 Doug F) .. Bo Levi Mitchell is ahead of Flutie in all Stampeder career stats- more passing yards, more completions, more TDs, higher completion %, more wins (playoff or regular season), more seasons and games played
I know Doug Flutie holds a special place in Stampeder fans heart's. Mine included. But I think its getting hard to argue his contributions to the organization surpass Bo Levi's.

Well said. I agree with that also.

Those Argos teams in 96 and 97 were so dominate with Flutie leading us at the helm. The all round depth chart was unreal. Back to back 15 - 3 seasons. Only 1 home loss in 18 regular season games at home. They averaged between 18 - 21 points per game on an average win margin against opponents. A fun team to watch.

No doubt , impressive teams. And the Don as HC also!

Good post! You’ve got to make room on that BC mountain for Bobby Ackles though.

Your absolutely right. I totally forgot about Bob Ackles.

Don was a great coach. He was average at best coaching in his last couple of seasons or so; but I won't hold that against him one bit for his longevity and his overall sucess. Rest in Peace Don.

No doubt about it..... If I have a MY Rushmore of coaches/GMs It Matthews, Buono, Hufnagel

I agree that Mitchell is more of a Stampeder icon than Flutie, just not your comment about Flutie. Bo has played twice as many seasons as a Stampeder. They each have 1 cup win for every 4 years.

With respect to you. I don't think its fair to say each win a cup every 4 years. We will never know if Flutie could have won anymore had he played out his career here and Bo could average out better more than 1 every 4 years by the time his career ends
Does Bo Levi's longevity not help cement his spot over Flutie?

now you are speculating. It could have went either way.

Yes, the longevity in this case really makes a difference