CFL Magazine

Did they pull the plug on this? The website is dead.

Yes, last year they did

They shouldn't of...
I liked that mag....
We just had to sell it better..
Reading material on all flights originating, from Canada..
Bring back the CFL mag..

I allowed my subscription to expire, after reading the editor's column shortly after Ottawa folded for the second time. The gist of the article was that the League was somehow better off. Absolute garbage.

So...take this with a grain of salt.

There were definitely some good articles in the magazine, but what I found aggravating about the magazine was its tendency to put the best, most positive spin on any news related to the CFL. It wasn't news, so much as propaganda. The Ottawa fiasco was a case in point.

The broadcast equivalent would be the difference between getting your news from the League's official website, CFL.CA, or a more independent source like TSN.CA (for example). Chances are, TSN will carry the more controversial stories, or at least have a more neutral and objective perspective.

That's by the by, and is more about the mag's editorial philosophy than strict business.

If they didn't already try it, the magazine could theoretically have rented lists of season ticket holders from the various teams, and offered these fans discounted subscriptions to the magazine. This would have helped grow the mag's circulation (helping to attract more advertisers) and at the same time, it would have been an added incentive to buy seasons tickets. A win-win-win for everyone.

As for advertising, they ought to have considered working more closely with the various teams in the League to offer package deals on advertising. For instance, if you advertise on the networks, you qualify for a certain percentage discount in the mag. If you advertise in one of the stadiums, you get another certain percentage discount. And so on.

With a little more creativity, I'm sure they could have made it work.

You expect it to some degree though. Of course they're not going to have an article pointing out the negatives of such a move.

But there's a way to do it positively without coming off like you're saying "good riddance". You can focus on their stated goal of "doing it right" the next time around, for example.