CFL Looking To Host games In Other Communities Besides Atlantic Canada

I hope this happens.

5 Likes

It's not a matter of hoping. There's too much money involved for it not to happen. In a post - pandemic world the country needs as much tourism dollars as possible. Attendance in the main markets has been slipping a bit so it makes sense to have a full stadium for TV purposes more often.

2 Likes
1 Like

Wells said 2025 would be the earliest date for a Touchdown Pacific game featuring the Lions as home team in the B.C. capital. That’s because the prospective venue, Starlight Stadium in Langford, B.C., currently seats just 6,000. There is a plan in place to almost double capacity and preliminary work began late last year.

1 Like

Hopefully it's Toronto or Hamilton vs BC

Why? I bet any of the West teams would attract more out-of-town visitors.

1 Like

Check the attendance from last year. You don't want to have one of your better attended games in a 12k facility. Toronto fans and Hamilton fans travel well. @bobo82 went to BC Place for his birthday last year.

Side note. I believe that Victoria has or had a team called the Cougars. It could be an all cat affair if the Tiger-cats came to town.

2 Likes

Heh, I hadn't thought of it from that perspective. But I think a West visiting team would make for more of a festival feel to the event, even if tickets are limited. I wonder if additional temp seating will be an option after the renos are finished.

Side note: I believe one of our posters here might qualify as a Victoria cougar.
:grinning:

2 Likes

It'll be interesting to see what they do. Either way it'll probably be sold out. I was talking to a guy online from Texas last year and he was hoping to make it to TD Atlantic. I believe the game was one of the higher rated ones during the summer but I don't have the numbers in front of me. If TD Pacific does equally as well then looking at additional seating would be logical. Perhaps it'll lead to 15k down the road.

1 Like

While I am in favour of CFL games in other places (spread the joy), all of the Atlantic Canada games have been in places other than the city where expansion should happen: Halifax. Halifax and Victoria would be sea to sea.

June, 2005. Halifax

1 Like

Here's another article on a possible TD Pacific:

B.C. Lions owner Amar Doman was born and raised in Victoria and graduated from Oak Bay High School. “Victoria is a special place for Amar and this is very important for him,” said Vienneau.

Langford Mayor Scott Goodmanson believes it can happen: “Who wouldn’t want to see a CFL game here? It’s a win-win.” But he said the number of seats to be added has not yet been set.

2 Likes

I would like to see the Lions play a game in Spokane.

Next World Cup (2026) both Edmonton & Toronto are homeless so it def is going to happen
Probably ramping up slowly to gauge interest (and $$$) from potential sites

1 Like

I don't think the World Cup will be much of an issue for the CFL. Edmonton isn't hosting any games, IIRC. Toronto will be hosting games, but they'll likely be done by the time the CFL season kicks in.

I'm sure he meant Vancouver but got mixed up with Edmonton because they often host these type of events.

1 Like

They need to choose venues wisely though. Toronto vs Edmonton in Fort Mac was not well attended. Pre Covid, mind you.

1 Like

Lets just put that in perspective. The biggest reason they had Toronto as the opponent for that game was so somebody in Fort Mac was interested, since about 70% of the population is from as far east as you can get in Canada.

Nice one.

I think the big mistake in that case was having the Pre-season game against Saskatchewan and the regular season game vs Toronto in the same year (2 weeks apart).

1 Like