CFL looking into hosting GREY CUP in Quebec City or Halifax

Can I get mine by the Sea of Tranquility?

This was brought up today at media function and got a strong response. CFL in Halifax for Grey Cup 108? its possible

Not happening.

First, Hamilton is way past due. ( 1996 )

Further, now that the Big Oly issues have been resolved, Montreal will soon be due. ( 2008 ).

I am sure that the CFL and Als organization have both made note of the MLS game last night.

In all honesty, I think this is a great plan! Obviously there are cities that are due but once we are past that, so bear with me here, putting up a temp stadium (which last 10 years I have spoken to the company that built Empire) in say Halifax to host the Grey Cup. Empire cost 14 million, so for example if the League, Province and Feds split the cost of the Stadium, and the city provided the land and infrastructure, you have a doable scenario. Build the stadium for 45K that breaks down into 30K post Grey Cup, and luckily at this moment the is an ownership group looking to put a Team in Halifax, wouldn't this be further incentive to field the team?

Thoughts!

Of course it was. In Imaginationland. Where trees are made of cotton candy.

I for one have had enough of this clown. I’m putting him on ignore.

If there was a suitable venue, why not? The NFL, while very different, has played SBs in Los Angeles when they haven't had a team.

I mean that temporary stadium in BC looked fairly decent on TV IMHO.

I have been saying for years that the CFL should offer a city the opportunity to host 2 or 3 Grey Cups over a 5 to 7 year period in exchange for government investment in a stadium. If things in Halifax progress to the point where the city can get a stadium for a $40-$45 million investment, hosting a couple of Grey Cups with the economic activity and taxes that they generate would help governments recover a significant portion of their investment.

So now that we have all these beautiful new stadiums in the league, you would want to have the Grey Cup, the showcase for the league, in a 28,000 tinkertoy, scallfolding stadium, in a city where there is no season ticketholder fanbase to draw from? Really?

Hey, I’m all for moving it to a neutral city, if they have an appropriate, professional stadium. Which these cities do not. If they want to commit to building one, and getting a CFL team, fantastic. Until then, we have a lineup of cities waiting to host.

You have to start somewhere don't you? So why not this way? It's just an idea, I gather that you don't like it BCRiderFan
so what's your suggestion?

The last time there was a S.B. in L.A. was 1993. The Raiders left for Oakland after the '94 season.

This is kind of an intriguing possibility.
We can all remember in Vancouver the temporary stadium built for the year when the dome was being refurbished.
Same situation in Halifax or even better in QC where they would have a potential shell at Laval.
I think it is time to think outside the box to move the GC to other non team locals maybe once every five years.
As a matter of fact, I previously floated the idea of a game in Hawaii like the old annual No Funners Pro Bowl game.
How about Europe as well, some Brits seem to care for the No Funners.
In the age of the internet and a Global economy the CFL would fit right in.

Hamilton hasn’t bid on a Grey Cup in 20 years.

My suggestion? Don’t do something stupid. We have nine teams right now to rotate the Grey Cup to. If Halifax builds a stadium, they can get a team, and eventually a Grey Cup.

Zero x Zero or nonsense. Who ever gets GREY CUP makes big time money. All want it!!!!
Why give it to a city that doesn't want CFL like Quebec or EAST coast. Flush that money down losers way.
Grey Cup will move around but only to teams in league not casualties with no cash. How about Florida, or anywhere
London!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok BCRiderFan, fair enough we'll agree to disagree. I don't believe in doing nothing will get the league anywhere.

Doing “nothing”? - what are you talking about? You don’t think there’s been super successful Grey Cups before this years Toronto fiasco? Avoiding dumb decisions for the valid reasons I’ve given keeps the league from a disaster in the making.

Yeah, I disagree with you all right.

The Grey Cup in Toronto has been very good per sources. The festival has been a huge success and the parties are just heating up. Looks like Toronto downtown is rocking. And the media from Toronto is covering the Grey Cup more than the Maple Leafs.

I think the problem is that 1) ppl in TO have no money including the corporations to purchase high end prices anymore. 2) ppl do not want to travel and visit TO anymore. Which hurts.

FYI, today is Nov 24, 2016. Not sure what grey cup festival or parties you are talking about as the only grey cup events that have taken place in Toronto is the arrival of both teams, coaches media scrum, the 1 1/2 hour Huddle up Bullying Rally and the arrival of the grey cup.

The Street festival starts on the 25th, the team parties begin today with the Spirit of Edmonton, Riderville and Atlantic Schooners opening.

Are you even in Toronto or just spewing drivel for the heck of it!!

How long are we going to have to suffer this fool Mat's Dad ???

I think Area 51 fell and hit his head and started up again as Accass Media.