CFL HARDEST HITS (PART ONE)

1 Like

I am probably in a small minority, but I dont really appreciate those hard hits, specially blind sides or on vulnerable receivers. People get hurt that way. Sometimes it is one of my fav players.

I also think that if you just knock a ball carrier down but do not have a hand on him when he hits the ground, he should be able to get back up again and run.

1 Like

That first hit on QB Buck Pierce was legendary

1 Like

I'll stake out the middle ground ... big hits are part of football ... but ANY hit to the head, "chin", or even top of the shoulder pads (hard not then to hit the head) should be a penalty and expulsion/suspension depending on severity

3 Likes

A little more recent...the booming hit taking out two Cats in last years Cup by Thiadric Hansen has to be one of the epics of all time...Cuthbert saying you could hear that one all the way to Germany was classic

3 Likes

Maybe somebody here knows, but I did read on the NFL site years ago that in American pro football, it was not until 1955 that the rule was changed such that a player was down the same as in rugby union.

In rugby union you have to release the ball and then either you can pick it up if alone or a rock is formed if not.

In the NFL until 1955, as long as you could get up after you hit the ground with a hit and were alone on the ground, you could continue play.

I would be okay with this rule changing back, but it's not going to happen.