CFL Gossip

Some of Kirk Penton`s The Insiders Say:

• Andrew Harris: Check all supplements on the appropriate websites provided to you by the CFL and CFLPA. I don’t want to hear about what was contaminated. Sit your two games and be quiet. I still respect all he has done and accomplished and feel this doesn’t tarnish a thing. What is funny about the Andrew Harris situation is the reaction of fans and media in that city. They need to realize he is just like any athlete in every other city or sport who “doesn’t know how this got into his body.? One time I’d like to hear someone caught say, “Damn, you got me. Sorry.?

• Duane Forde spoke for all of us who coach defence, or who try to with our new rules, when he said, “Just let them play football.? My sons both hit harder in minor hockey than we are allowed to hit quarterbacks in our league.

• I sincerely want to know which over-the-counter supplement has metandienone in it. Hard questions need to be asked and answered.

• If we’re the crossover team to the East, Montreal is the one that scares me over there. Hamilton has a lot of good football players, but their offence sucks compared to what we had to deal with the last couple of years when June Jones coached them. It’s not the young quarterback that’s the problem. It’s (Tommy) Condell’s offence. They’re wasting (Brandon) Banks, wasting (Mike) Jones.

• What does (Sukh) Chungh weigh? He looks a lot bigger. Can’t move. Can’t react on twists. He got big money in free agency and got lazy.

• My wife says Rick Campbell dresses like an out-of-shape plumber. Said he either needs to work out or throw away his T-shirt wardrobe.

• All those TV guys love to talk about young coaches. Their buddies. They don’t respect experience. Well, this isn’t a summer league. It’s pro football. That B.C. staff is a joke. I’ve got more than 20 years coaching experience at the pro level. You can pick four or five young guys on that Lions staff, and they don’t have 20 years combined. Young coaches and bad players get you what they are — one and freaking nine.

• (Alouettes defensive co-ordinator Bob) Slowik is still learning our game. He figured out pretty quick you can’t play cover two on this big field. In Moncton, he probably learned that playing prevent with a three-man rush doesn’t work up here, either. Same deal. The field is too big. Even with nine in coverage, guys get open if the quarterback has all day. Going three-man rush in the last minute almost gave the game to Toronto.

• B.C.’s centre (Phillip Norman) is a wasted international spot. That offensive line catches a lot of shit, and they should, but (Mike) Reilly holds the ball too fucking long. Henry Burris was right. Put the watch on Reilly, and it’s 2.5, 2.8, three seconds or longer before the ball comes out of his hand. Can’t ask any line to protect that long, much less that group B.C. puts on the field.

• Duane Forde spoke for all of us who coach defence, or who try to with our new rules, when he said, “Just let them play football.? My sons both hit harder in minor hockey than we are allowed to hit quarterbacks in our league.
Garbage. It's easy for people who aren't taking the hits to say let them play. Wonder if this coach would change his tune when his sons are forced to retire from hockey on account of multiple concussions.
• All those TV guys love to talk about young coaches. Their buddies. They don’t respect experience. Well, this isn’t a summer league. It’s pro football. That B.C. staff is a joke. I’ve got more than 20 years coaching experience at the pro level. You can pick four or five young guys on that Lions staff, and they don’t have 20 years combined. Young coaches and bad players get you what they are — one and freaking nine.
I can see the point, but it's way overstated. What about Stubler, his vast experience, and the total failure of his defense in BC? There are good young coaches, and good veteran coaches. And young coaches whose inexperience costs the team, and bad veteran coaches who are too stuck in their ways to adapt to today's game. You can't generalize.
• (Alouettes defensive co-ordinator Bob) Slowik is still learning our game. He figured out pretty quick you can’t play cover two on this big field. In Moncton, he probably learned that playing prevent with a three-man rush doesn’t work up here, either. Same deal. The field is too big. Even with nine in coverage, guys get open if the quarterback has all day. Going three-man rush in the last minute almost gave the game to Toronto.
I really hope Slowik takes away the right things from the Moncton game. To me this is spot on. Prevent three-man rush is a highly situational play, one you run when the enemy offense is in second and a mile and you actually don't mind giving up 15 yards since it will still be short of the first down. Used regularly, it's ineffective, keeps your D on the field, and your offense cold/on the sideline.

Slowik has to learn to dial up more pressure. He blitzes Levels and Reid on occasion, has to do more of it or similar.

Levels actually tied for team lead with 3 sacks, leads in tackles also, and has probably been our best defensive player. Kind of hard to say this, but almost makes us not miss Chip Cox.

That is one HORRIBLY managed minor hockey league … or his sons are just goons

https://www.bing.com/th?id=OIP.bFDZ7JiQrrNvrdLiZfP44QHaHa&w=192&h=187&c=7&o=5&dpr=2&pid=1.7

He has adapted well so far … hopefully that continues

Whoever that is, he should gotsay that to Mike Reilly’s face. I don’t know how he played that entire game last week.

I have a very low opinion of people who can’t communicate without using the F word.

Mod Edit: Offending word has been removed.

Thank you

I have a very low opinion of people who actually think the use of profanity is an indicator of intelligence. (it’s not.)

ButI-M-Ois a sign of a lack of restraint, or possibly creativity, in the expression of frustration … and is not necessary in public fora such as this … but to each their own I suppose.

I have been known to use profanity when angered, but to use it often during a regular conversation…yeah, I would say intelligence level would come into it.

There is empirical evidence to suggest that the use of profanity is actually an indicator of intelligence, and not its opposite. Used for frustration or not, who cares?

As for its prohibition in public fora, that’s purely a function of absurd and fundamentally right-wing policing, where your swear word gets deleted but misogyny, to name just one thing, is A-OK.

Profanity indicates a social taboo, but it varies according to social context. And so is not inherently objectionable. Usually profanity is used as an intensifier, to convey heightened emotion. In some cultures that takes the form of references to fecal matter, or to sexual intercourse. In others to religious objects (see Quebec). It matters not a gosh-darned whit to me. I’ll save my energy for hate speech, which actually has the power to inflict harm or increase the likelihood of harm occurring.

at best, I liken it somewhat to when someone says “LIKE” like twice in every sentence.

Who is more likely to extensively use the F word. An intelligent learned professional, or a street person of limited IQ and education. Just to mention the extremes. I know there are of course exceptions to both ends.

“Frickin’ Affirmative!” he yelled, while pasting ‘Decorative Gourd Season’ into Google.

I for one will no longer post any of The Insiders Say if the mods are forced to censor it because of 2 puritans.

The word is embedded in quotes from outsiders, nothing to do with any forum interaction.

The fact that The Athletic, now up to 500,000 subscribers, have no issues running with it says it all for me.

And the 2 moralists better cover their eyes, the mods missed one of the F words.

Yeah…to edit the quote is just ethically bankrupt.
I love reading the Insiders.
What a ridiculous response from the mods.

Shame on them. Every 2nd word on a CFL sideline is fuck.

It matters not that 2 people don’t like the word. It’s a word that is used by a coach in a quote.

It’s like saying I don’t like a term used in a novel so it should be taken out. Really?? A mod can take it out? Boy talk about delicate and judgmental.

who said objections had anything to do with morality?

Rules are rules.

Anywayyyyy, getting back on the topic of the thread that pertains to the Alouettes, I am very curious to see what Slowik does next game on defense. I get that we need some help at DT, but going to a three-man front with a prevent defense just puts that single nose tackle in a worse position if he isn’t a dominant player. I mean, if Bethel-Johnson or whatever his name is finds S.J. Green in the end zone, it’s game over last week and that would have been a huge black mark for the defense. I do hope that Slowik cuts that prevent stuff out of the playbook unless we have to defend second and 20 or greater.

Or you could not post the Insiders Say here because it is not yours to give away. The Athletic charges a subscription fee, which supports its ability to pay people like Kirk Penton to write stories like that. Giving it away is tantamount to walking into a grocery store, grabbing some oranges and handing them to people outside.

That’s a separate issue, though, from the one being discussed. His point is that a published online magazine with a subscription base in the hundreds of thousands has no problem printing profanity. So why should we?

Fixed it for you, on the assumption that sheldon is a paid subscriber to The Athletic.