Some of Kirk Penton`s The Insiders Say:
• Andrew Harris: Check all supplements on the appropriate websites provided to you by the CFL and CFLPA. I don’t want to hear about what was contaminated. Sit your two games and be quiet. I still respect all he has done and accomplished and feel this doesn’t tarnish a thing. What is funny about the Andrew Harris situation is the reaction of fans and media in that city. They need to realize he is just like any athlete in every other city or sport who “doesn’t know how this got into his body.? One time I’d like to hear someone caught say, “Damn, you got me. Sorry.?
• Duane Forde spoke for all of us who coach defence, or who try to with our new rules, when he said, “Just let them play football.? My sons both hit harder in minor hockey than we are allowed to hit quarterbacks in our league.
• I sincerely want to know which over-the-counter supplement has metandienone in it. Hard questions need to be asked and answered.
• If we’re the crossover team to the East, Montreal is the one that scares me over there. Hamilton has a lot of good football players, but their offence sucks compared to what we had to deal with the last couple of years when June Jones coached them. It’s not the young quarterback that’s the problem. It’s (Tommy) Condell’s offence. They’re wasting (Brandon) Banks, wasting (Mike) Jones.
• What does (Sukh) Chungh weigh? He looks a lot bigger. Can’t move. Can’t react on twists. He got big money in free agency and got lazy.
• My wife says Rick Campbell dresses like an out-of-shape plumber. Said he either needs to work out or throw away his T-shirt wardrobe.
• All those TV guys love to talk about young coaches. Their buddies. They don’t respect experience. Well, this isn’t a summer league. It’s pro football. That B.C. staff is a joke. I’ve got more than 20 years coaching experience at the pro level. You can pick four or five young guys on that Lions staff, and they don’t have 20 years combined. Young coaches and bad players get you what they are — one and freaking nine.
• (Alouettes defensive co-ordinator Bob) Slowik is still learning our game. He figured out pretty quick you can’t play cover two on this big field. In Moncton, he probably learned that playing prevent with a three-man rush doesn’t work up here, either. Same deal. The field is too big. Even with nine in coverage, guys get open if the quarterback has all day. Going three-man rush in the last minute almost gave the game to Toronto.
• B.C.’s centre (Phillip Norman) is a wasted international spot. That offensive line catches a lot of shit, and they should, but (Mike) Reilly holds the ball too fucking long. Henry Burris was right. Put the watch on Reilly, and it’s 2.5, 2.8, three seconds or longer before the ball comes out of his hand. Can’t ask any line to protect that long, much less that group B.C. puts on the field.