CFL film highlights

Last night I was listening to the local CBC TV sportscaster saying that they would not be showing highlights from a particular event because the broadcast holder had refused permission for other stations.....

Not sure what the CRTC would have to do with this? Permission would be a commercial decision by the copyright holders.

There are very detailed blanket rules in place between networks and leagues regarding the use of video clips/highlights.

As many here have indicated, you'll need to get permission from both the League and the originating broadcaster for permission to show clips on your show.

Start with trying to find a contact number for either the CFL's or TSN's media relations department.

Best of luck.

I was trying to direct Chris to an organization that would have the answers to all of his questions. The CRTC certainly sets all these rules in Canada. Can they give him permission to run highlights from TSN. No, of course not. But I believe that issue is was created by other peoples interpretation of his question.

Chris’s post…

“me and my friends have recently proposed a show to our local public access channel, the topic is the CFL. i was just wondering where we could get film highlights for free as we are making no profit from this. any help would be appreciated.”

kel

Kel,

Sorry but he would be wasting his time talking to the CRTC, they would have NOTHING to do with getting copyright permission to broadcast. In reality, the cable company who’s community channel they are looking to have the show on should be in the position to do the contacting. They most likely would be the ‘executive producers’ of the local show and thus be responsible for rights clearance and for that matter end up holding the copyright to the local show. While very occassionally local community channel shows are done by independent producers, I seriously doubt this would be the case in this situation.

Yeesh, I don’t like the Cardinals’ chances of making the post season. I swear, ever since Mark McGwire retired, that team has looked like a dog’s breakfast.

You are 100% right my friend. They WOULD have NOTHING to do with getting permission. But thats the point.

And the other things you said about Chris not having responsibility for contacting networks for permission himself. Once again bang on, IMHO.

But outside of what you and I THINK. The CRTC KNOWS, because its their members and their policy that govern this process we speak of. I mentioned the CRTC because I thought it would eliminate the speculation between people on this forum, and hence move the process along faster so he could get his show going for this season. So why would it be a waste of time?

kel

The CRTC does not govern copywrite issues. Rebroadcasting without permision violates copywrite law and the CRTC has no say in the matter

Right on Ro, the CRTC has nothing to do with copyright and NOTHING to do with the process we are talking about!

If you are looking for government agency that is related to the issue, then go to to the Canadian Intellectual Property Office.

I know that in the 25 years or so that I have dealt with copyright issues, this agency and their predecessors have generally been useful. But once again, the CRTC has nothing to with one broadcaster allowing another to use highlights from their production.

I have worked with the CRTC on a few issues and generally found them to be helpful within their mandate. Now if Chris happened to own a specialty channel that was licenced to show fashion programming and now he was planning on changing to sports programming, then yes there would be a role for the CRTC!

Or if Chris' unit accidentally fell into view on camera, then he would definitely be hearing from the CRTC.

Are you suggesting the rookie may pull a Janet? Thanks for the update boys, Chris forget what I said. These boys are right.

kel