CFL Field Size

I know! I know! All you purists out there will be kickin' my butt for suggesting this but, I'm looking at DrummerGod's aerial photos of Ivor Wynne and that NCAA stadium and I'm thinkin', man, it'd be great to have the intimacy of an American stadium to see our game!

The Canadian field is too damned big! We can't use the old excuse that it opens up the offence anymore! The NFL and NCAA are kickin our butts in that department! I went to Notre Dame last November to see my TarHeels and it was the best game I've seen in years! It was an aerial bombardment - both ways!

I'd like to see Canadian rules on an American field... I bet it'd be a hoot! And, the footprint for a new stadium wouldn't be so big! Plus, when Toronto FC folds like a cheap umbrella in the next year or two ('cuz let's face it, that MLS thing ain't gonna' fly!)... the Argos could move into that beautiful white elephant at the CNE! With the current football field dimensions, BMO field is too small for a CFL team!

Your thoughts?

I wouldn't object to an American sized field providing we were allowed to maintain our current CFL rules. One thing that might prove bothersome in our extra man playing on the smaller field.

You're quite right about the intimacy of the smaller fields in the U.S. From a fan's point of view, this makes the game larger than life.

Yeah Rock! The smaller field would jam up pretty quick with the extra man... I think you'd have to cut the player numbers down as well... but I think a cost wary CFL might like that!

But, you've gotta know the extra sideline space would be good at Ivor Wynne... no more near-death collisions with that wall. In Calgary, the horsey could run more freely. Edmonton could get rid of the track and install more seats; and have less lawn to mow. As could Saskatchewan. Winnipeg is on the drawing board for a new park. Montreal could use a little more room... and you're not gonna' ruin THAT intimacy!

The only place it would suck is BC Place! And that place sucks already!

post moved

Oops! I forgot the forbidden Sks word! My bad! But BC Place does Sck!!!

But, wouldn't you love to take the GO train to Exhibition for a football game again? and, during Argo game rush hour, shouldn't it be called the arGO train?

Are you kidding me? The field is one of the greatest parts of the CFL. It opens up so many dimensions.

The kicking game would probably be the most affected area. The smaller field basically eliminates returns, punters wouldn't have to angle punts and field goal kickers basically have a straight ahead kick everytime since the hash marks in the NFL line up with the goal posts.

Plus, if you have a small field you'd start getting different sized players. Not necessarily more skilled, but bigger like the oversized ones NFL teams are so in love with. They get playing time just because they take up so much space. You'd start getting 380 pound offensive and defensive tackles because they wouldn't have to run as much. Running backs and receivers would have to be bigger and heavier to take the added punishment of being in such close quarters. (At least that's how GMs would start looking at things. They already do in the NFL.)

This would basically eliminate little guys who are super stars like a Pinball Clemons, or Doug Flutie, even before they get a chance to show their stuff. This kind of thing happens all the time in the NFL and that's why you see so many good players on the bench while a guy with "better size" is on the field. The Rob Johnson/Doug Flutie debate in Buffalo is a perfect example. Johnson was taller and had a stronger arm and he was younger, but he wasn't a winner. All Flutie did was win and they still benched him.

You would also have coaches who would have to totally change the way they coach. A smaller field would leave you less room to say, line up 6 receivers. The field would be overcrowded. So what would we do then? Reduce the number of players on the field to 11?

Shrinking the CFL field to the dimensions of an American field is a HORRIBLE idea. It would lead to our great league becoming more and more like the NFL and I don't want that to happen!

It would essentially make the CFL a feeder league.

The thing that makes the talent disparity less than that of the economic disparity between the leagues is the starkly different requirements.

Absolutely FR-EAKIN -G REDICULOUS idea … and that is ALL the time I will WASTE rebutting this … because IF I HAVE to EXPLAIN … chances are you wouldn’t GET IT anyway !!

Peace.

Plus, when Toronto FC folds like a cheap umbrella in the next year or two ('cuz let's face it, that MLS thing ain't gonna' fly!)...
Ya seeing how they sold out season tickets and every game is year I dont see that happening soon.

that is UnCanadian to play with the Field Size.

please Leave it alone
it is part of what makes our game Canadian..

Love it or go watch the NFL or NFL Europe..

Maybe the Arena League if like small Fields

Good God, OnKnight!

Exactly which language do you speak? C'mon! You make enough posts on here... make one or two of them intelligible!

Great idea! Then we can also make it 4 downs, add something called a fair catch.

Why not make the ball smaller too and move the uprights to the back of the end zone?

Give both teams 3 time outs, have long winded refs when announcing a penalty.

Oh wait, what if we made it so you could line up head to head on the line of scrimmage?

Better remove the rouge too and change to a 2 minute warning rather then the 3.

I am sure this all would create more exciting football.

:lol: P.S. Just kidding. :P
(fletch 17) Great idea! Then we can also make it 4 downs, add something called a fair catch.

Why not make the ball smaller too and move the uprights to the back of the end zone?

Give both teams 3 time outs, have long winded refs when announcing a penalty.

Oh wait, what if we made it so you could line up head to head on the line of scrimmage?

Better remove the rouge too and change to a 2 minute warning rather then the 3.

I am sure this all would create more exciting football.

Laughing P.S. Just kidding. Razz

I realize you're kidding, Fletch, but due to the naivety on this site, your likely to stir the pot anyway.
Keep in mind that no one here has suggested any of the Americanisms you jokingly append to the Canadian game.
It has merely been suggested that a smaller field might prove beneficial.

And the suggestion is be responded to with anger. The field is probably the most important difference between the CFL and the NFL. I like both but given a choice between the 2 I'll choose the CFL rules over the NFL rules

As soon as I seen this thread I was interested to see peoples opinions on this topic. As a fan in his late twenties I am educated enough in football to understand and enjoy the current field size. However, I do remember a time when I was not. I remember watching my first nfl games and watching these passes and kicks that looked "larger then life" ie aikman to irvan when I first got into NFL football and kicks in the same playoffs that went deep into the opposing teams endzones. I was lucky enough to have a father point out to me that the field was indeed smaller (a lot smaller when i first got a chance to go to ralph wilson.) However then I was a CFL fan first and Nfl fan second. How was I to know? Mayby there are other youth like me that presently might think the same. In the Nfl short passes to outside edges of the field get there in seconds and look huge when in my mind at the time I was thinking the field was the same size. Not to knock the cfl , my ignorance at the time led me to believe the nfl (on tv) was that much better then it really was. Just my thoughts....

fairfield, thats been an argument I've made many times.

Casual observers of football just pass off the CFL because the size of the field makes for a different pace in each indicivual play. Where the avid observer sees a similar game being played on a much different surface, the casual observer percieves athletic superiority in the NFL because a hitch pass will get to the sidelines in a split second where in the CFL, it needs to sail to get there.

Similar athletes, different environment.

I agree with these sentiments fully.

In addition, the smaller endzone would make the rouge almost an impossibility, except when kicked right through the endzone. No doubt it would be scrapped if this move were made.

If anything, I would like to see a return to the 25 yard deep endzone that prevailed until the dome in Vancouver opened in the mid-80s. In fact, I don't see why you couldnt have 25 yard endzones where possible and 20 where not (Vancouver, Toronto). I wouldn't mind widening the hash marks again too.

All in all, I would never want to see the field size changed. I know it is the only change being suggested by the proponent, but that one change would alter the dynamics of the game enough that other changes would inevitably follow. Over time, our game would come to resemble American football more and more. Bad idea.

I completely agree that the Canadian field size is way overrated as to why the Canadian game is different, better in my opinion, than the American game. To me is is the rules other than the field size. You make the NFL go to 3 downs and believe me, you will see a different game, a more wide open game with smaller quicker backs etc. I agree ub40 and it would make things more intimate in the stadiums. I'm fine with the dimensions as now but would be also fine if they compacted the field size more.

This is a no win argument though, opinions will vary all over the board on this one.

OnKnight...Got your message... I apologize!

As for this thread, I realize a change to our dimensions would be hard to take for some, but I really do think it should be looked at! Let's face it, we as a league haven't exactly been religious about those dimensions anyway!

Some parks have squared endzones; some have been beveled at the back corners! Memphis had 15 yard endzones and the field wasn't as wide... plus it was half grass and half turf! A mess!

So this wouldn't exactly be ground-breaking stuff... I raced home from Notre Dame last November to see the Argos/Bombers playoff game the next day and the CFL field just seemed so barren all of a sudden!

I completely agree that the Canadian field size is way overrated as to why the Canadian game is different,
As for this thread, I realize a change to our dimensions would be hard to take for some, but I really do think it should be looked at!
Guys, I REALLY WANT to be polite about this, but you all make it so DIFFICULT with comments like these.

"OVERRATED" !!!
"HARD TO TAKE" ???!!!

Suffice to say - in a GAME of INCHES ... the REMOVAL of ONE HUNDRED and FIFTY square yards of playing surface - WOULD MAKE A DIFFERENCE !!!!!!!

Are you KIDDING ME !!???

Seriously, IF the DIFFERENCE has to be EXPLAINED to you then you probably wouldn't UNDERSTAND, anyway.

I am ASTOUNDED at the ludicrousness of this entire thread.

For MERELY SUGGESTING this ABSURDITY - I suggest you guys be BANNED for A month from this place ... for conduct detrimental to INTELLIGENT football discourse.

Peace.