CFL fashion police??

[url=http://www.edmontonsun.com/Sports/Football/2006/07/03/1665667-sun.html]http://www.edmontonsun.com/Sports/Footb ... 7-sun.html[/url]

The CFL now has fashion police watching every player during every game.

Yes, that’s right, there are two dress-code monitors in each city this year, watching for fashion faux pas and issuing fines.

Designed by the league’s head office, the new dress code policy means a player can be fined if his socks aren’t pulled up to a certain length, his belt is undone or he’s flashing a company logo other than Reebok.

That is just a sample of the new rules that must be followed in the game.

In the past, the league didn’t have a structured fine system and rarely penalized players.

So far this year, nobody on the Eskimos has been fined.

But three Calgary Stampeders were fined on opening night. The Bombers were hit seven times in Week 1.

So, needless to say, the new policy isn’t drawing rave reviews from some players.

In fact, Winnipeg’s Doug Brown repeatedly ripped the CFL last week.

“I already have to have our equipment tech help tuck in my jersey every time I come on and off the field - because I could be fined for letting (an) offensive linemen pull it out of my pants on every play,” he wrote in his weekly Winnipeg newspaper column.

“Maybe I should look into getting a personal stylist, too - who can not only wield a full-length mirror, but help me with my knee-highs.”

The players are way off base in this argument. The CFL’s head office should be commended for the new rules. In the past few years, some players on some teams have looked unprofessional.

"I recall being at a football double-header last year - a college game in Hamilton and the Tiger-Cats played Calgary afterward - and people said to me: ‘How is it that the university players can look so professional and your guys (in the CFL) look so sloppy,’ ‘’ said Shawn Coates, the league’s director of football operations.

“We’re a professional league and our players should be looking professional and first-class. Quite frankly, it shouldn’t be too hard for players to dress properly.”

The league also has to please its major sponsor by ensuring a Nike logo doesn’t get national TV exposure.

“Reebok provides millions of dollars to the clubs and the players,” said Coates.

The new rulebook calls for:

• White socks to be pulled up eight to 12 inches from the shoe, then coloured socks showing for another five to seven inches toward the knee.

• Belt must be done up.

• Jersey must be tucked in.

• Competing logos on shoes must be covered up.

• If a receiver wears a towel, it must be no more than one foot in length and attached to the front of the pants.

A first-time offence during a game brings a $250 fine. But the fine doubles to $500 for a second violation and doubles again to $1,000 for a third infraction.

This is only good for the league. It is a professional league, therefore the players should look professional.

well i remember on saturday before the game when i was in the endzone watchin the bombers there albert johnson and chris brazzell were both told to pull up their socks to mid calf, and they were both complaining about it lol

Ok this is just embarassing to football itself: IT IS NOT A PRETTY-BOY SPORT OK?! Ok im playing Midget football right now and everyplay the socks fall down, the belt gets loossenned and the shirt gets tugged on. But im not sure those in charge on making these crap rules know that.

This Is Football, Not Some Nancy Sport Like Baseball. One Of The Things That I Like About The CFL Is How The Players Have Some Induviduality To Them. The First Hook I Got Was Shawnte Peoples Who Used To Wear A Green Doorag When He Played For Saskatchewan. While I Agree With The Logo Thing The Rest Of It Is Stupid And Pointless.

Man, I used to love watching Shonte' Peoples, he was a solid player. Stupid weed...

In the NFL their dress code is even stricter! The fines are bigger and the players can't leave the dressing room until they look pretty.

I agree with the dress code 100%.
One thing that drives me nuts is baseball!
Some players have one type of socks others different types. Some have th3 pants go all the way to the shoes.

The uniform is no longer…uniform

It doesnt matter to me one way or the other.. but having forcing players to tuck in jerseys or pull up socks seems pretty lame to me...

hence the word uniform......all the same

....do we really want to go down the same road as the NoFunLeague....c'mon ..we are individualistic (OOOOBIGWORD) in the CFL....lets keep it that way....we don't need a fashion show on the field...just great football...with a small 'd'dress code.. was good enough in the great football days of the past.....is good enough now... :rockin:

sorry but I don't agree. Its a professional league and they need to look professional. You need to draw a line and no-one crosses it. Whats next the players are going to have their paints at there knees and their shorts pulled up halfway up their chest?

Uniform can be used a adjective or a noun

n.
A distinctive outfit intended to identify those who wear it as members of a specific group.
One set of such an outfit.

In this case it does not mean all the same

but as an adjective

Always the same, as in character or degree; unvarying.
Conforming to one principle, standard, or rule; consistent.
Being the same as or consonant with another or others.
Unvaried in texture, color, or design

I do believe in this case its being used as a noun, to describe the uniforms that the teams wear.

Are you guys really arguing about the usage of the word Uniform?

What a sad day this is...

I would call it a disagreement rather than an argument.

I C

I call it a discussion

A calm and reasoned discussion, which seems to be rare for me these days.. :oops: