CFL expansion to CBL: Basketball

Well Soccer in Canada has begun playing in the leagues at the Highest level in North America. All three of the biggest cities all now have MLS teams. Edmonton seams to be content in the tier II NASL and Ottawa will be startingin the NASL but their ultimate goal will be to go into the NASL much like Montreal.
The fact that Both Toronto and Montreal have built the MLS soccer specific stadiums. Ottawa also will have the same. Vancouver White caps are playing in BC place using the lower level bowl and have had plans to build a soccer specific stadium that has been put on hold. The MLS has accetped teams that play in bigger football stadiums using the lower bowl In seatle and Boston and now Vancouver. All of these venues however are first class modern venues so they have made allowences and they also have a way to make the venue not look empty with the lower bowl in use.
DC United an original MLS team I believe has taken over the old RFK stadium in Washington and still uses it as its home field. The only team in the MLS that has this situation I believe.
So soccer in Canada is already in the process of evolving right now into a big pro sport behind the NHL Obviously.

I am not talking so much about the pro game but if you look at youth soccer its massive.

If I may, it would be idiotic for the CFL to even consider trying to promote a basketball league. Coming from highschool only 2 years ago I can say that yes, most school do have teams, however popularity in basketball wasnt big. All kids cared about watching was the highschool football team. I played in rivalry games that brought out at least 800 people from both teams, sometimes more. And non rival games brought out about 400 from both teams. If you went to a basketball game, there was 50 people there, mainly parents. Basketball isnt what you think it is and is an afterthought in the majority of Canada citizens with Football and Hockey taking the reigns. The point is that the average Canadian (adult or teenager) dosent care.

My other reason is that the CFL has plenty of work to do on its own plate with its promoting still. IE) to the states, and Toronto, also expansion teams and rebuilding stadiums like Winnipeg (almost complete), Hamilton and Calgary.

There is no league called the CBL, its called the NBL..http://nblcanada.pointstreaksites.com/view/nblcanada, The CFL should concentrate on football not basketball

Maybe in distance, but I'm talking about the $$$$$$$. Putting 11 futbollers plus subs on a plane costs way less than moving a 40-odd man CFL gameday roster.

With the Cfl if you include reg and pre season and play offs at the most there will be 12 road games now with Nasl there is 12 road games in the reg season plus the pre season where there would be a couple then the open cup there would be 2-4 depending if you make it to the final then if you win that you move on to the Concacaf Champions League if you make it to the final your looking at another 7 road games also the league play offs make it to the final there is 2 more road games.

Why not rugby? I mean hey...back to the roots...call it CCFL...Classic Canadian Football. There is already stiff competition for soccer, but rugby seems to be on the verge of getting big again, but none of the leagues get much attention. Aussie Rules also seems to be getting a fair amount of attention of late. I would support either, but the thing with Rugby is that there are franchises in place that could unite into the league.

In the CFL with the 8 teams really only Winnipeg and BC have lengthy travel schedules. Winnipeg being in the eastern Conference but being in the west. Also Winnipeg is furthest from all of the western teams. nothing is close to Vancouver. With Ottawa coming back any road game between Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, or Hamilton do not involve any air travel. The rail system is set up very nicely for travel from all of these cities to another.
In the West Edmonton, Calgary, and Regina all in the same region.
MLS teams with there modern idea of the small soccer specific stadiums really are a big hit and most teams draw very well. Bring in a popular Euro team for a friendly and often are moved to larger venues or those venues that usually use only the lower bowl for soccer are opening up the upper bowls.
TV money is also pretty good not extrodonary but there are more than one network in the US and more than one network in Canada that are paying for the rights. In english, french, and spanish

Have you people seen the tv ratings for the Raptors and TFC. The Raptors average about 150,000 with most of those ratings coming out of the GTA area. The Raptors are lucky if they get 25,000 from the rest of the country. TFC has even lower ratings at 100,000 with some games getting as little as 25,000. There is a huge difference with kids playing sports because there cheaper to play and less contact and then making a huge leap, that then people would pay money to follow these sports at the pro level.

Well to be fair the Raptors are terrible and have been for years. Soccer is mind-numbingly boring, more action going on in the stands. I used to watch the Raptors when they were half-decent and seemed like they were interested in what they were doing, but now they always seem like they're just going through the motions. As for soccer, I'd rather watch grass grow.

TFC and the Raptors may be getting low TV ratings but there are many teams in each league that are getting higher ratings and all TV money is shared equally among all of the teams.

But that money is just shared with one team, the only team in Canada. Basketball fans need to support the NBLoC to help grow the sport as a pro spectator sport if they want to, just as fans of any sport have to do if they want to get more pro teams in Canada for every sport. I hope the NBLoC succeeds, they have a Canadian roster mandate in the same way to the CFL which gives kids in our country a chance to develop to an even higher level after college if the NBA doesn't come calling and it usually doesn't for the vast majority. But if people don't support it, like the CFL or anything we try and do in this country, it will not last.

But there not getting those higher ratings in this country, which is my point, no one outside the GTA watches the Raptors or TFC. If the Raptors were not owned by MLSE, they would have left Canada, due to lack of fan support, but by forcing Leaf season ticket holders to buy Raptors seats, there ticket numbers get inflated, but even with The Leaf tickets the Raptors do not come near to selling out the ACC

the nbl of c only mandates 3 canadians per team and most do not play. This would have to be adjusted to a CFL almost 50-50 split. Being so close to the US it would only make sense to have half of the US players to raise the level of copetition with a canadian draft to give the CIS players a place to play in their own country.
Lets see how a team in Ottawa will do next season with the possibility of having some players from Carleton.
I like the idea and the placement of the teams so far but definitely need more Canadian players mandated to the roster.

The MLL indoor Lacrosse league draws very well in the three canadian cities Calgary, Edmonton, and Toronto with a large majority of their rosters being Canadian. Even the US franchises are loaded with Canadian players. Philadelphia area is a huge lacrosse are and are the one team that is much more loaded with US players.
The NLL an the Hamilton Nationals are the only Canadian team in the traditional outdoor Lacrosse has a majority US players but also a fair share of Canadian players.
The Iroquis Nation also has players scttered across both leagues,

You are right on point with that but thats just good business to get fans in the seats with the synergy model of promoting a very popular leafs team with the Raptors and even TFC.

We already have the National Basketball League of Canada. Watch it, support it, enjoy it. :thup:

cflsteve wrote: the nbl of c only mandates 3 canadians per team and most do not play. This would have to be adjusted to a CFL almost 50-50 split. Being so close to the US it would only make sense to have half of the US players to raise the level of copetition with a canadian draft to give the CIS players a place to play in their own country. Lets see how a team in Ottawa will do next season with the possibility of having some players from Carleton. I like the idea and the placement of the teams so far but definitely need more Canadian players mandated to the roster
Didn't realize that only 3 Canadians per team are manadated and most do not play. And no Canadian draft at all? Don't like that much. Agree wholeheartedly they should go to a more CFL model. Although I'm not sure basketball in Canada at the CIS or amateur level is at the same talent level as football in Canada, probably not but honestly I don't know.

If Canada wants to improve there basketball on the international level they would need to change the CBL of C rules that would have many more Canaians per team. The European players were able to get that good over the past two decades because they have pro leagues in their countries that have teams made mostly of players from their country. It was only two imports per team. Im not sure if they have raised that to maybe three but the point being that the CBL of Canada does need a need to put the focus on more Canadians per team.
As I said being so close to the US a 50-50 split could be a good number with the US bordering Canada it would be more attractive to US players as the league begins to gain more credibility than going overseas to play.
Like the NBA they took the example of the European teams where the National Team Comitees of each country works with the pro leagues.
The NBL of C is still in its infancy so they will have time to make such adjustments. I am sure that if CIS players and teams that are popular begin to play in the CBL of Canada basketball fans in Canada will be able to connect with the league a lot better in the regions where basketball if popular in Canada. As i said Ontario team in Ottawa good idea with Carleton right there. Basketball in the Maritimes.

There are plenty of good Canadian basketball players, but there are more, better American basketball players. There is a trade-off between quality of play and % of Canadian-ness.

As long as they move the Canadian quota in the right direction with an end goal of only 3 or 4 foreign players per team, that's good enough for me.

I'd like to see only 3 or 4 foreign players per team... that way there is always 1 or 2 Canadians on the floor. In basketball, 6 American players could almost play the whole game. Maybe only 80 or 90% of the game.