CFL evaluation camp, do they run on wet fields?

I also feel like asking if they make players run uphill, do they run on a field covered with grease? Is the guy holding the stopwatch an old timer who presses the button a few tenths too late...

Every year, I am surprised by the slow 40 yard dash times that are timed at the CFL evaluation camp. Check out this link for the fastest times of the last 5 years:

[url=http://www.cfl.ca/index.php?module=newser&func=display&nid=23226]http://www.cfl.ca/index.php?module=news ... &nid=23226[/url]

If you believe those stats (from the CFL E camp), Canada cannot produce one single guy with 4.3 speed... BS! Last year, Beriault was the fastest guy at 4.5. The thing is, he was timed, many times , and by CFL guys at 4.3, and even a 4.28.
√Čtienne boulay recently ran a 4.3 for the New York Jets. That is why they hired him! But, he ran much slower at the E camp.
I think that the E camp takes place on a very SLOW field!

i wondered about this to, maybe its a 40 meter dash :lol:

I'm more inclined to believe that the NFL fudges theirs.

It'd be interesting to compare the numbers that the NFL puts up for their guys against olympic athletes.

I may be wrong. But I believe NFL #'s are running starts.

I did a little checking and they do not have running starts.
There are a few variations in the timing method itself that may affect the CFL numbers.
Hand held stop watches versus laser timing. Using a gun to start the runner vs. letting him start when he wants (the latter working best with lasers).
Maybe the CFL runs them in pads?
Etc.

Comparisons to Olympic sprinters, the very best of the best in NFL have put up comparable numbers to the best 100 meter sprinters.
However, there appears to be more mystery surrounding some of those numbers than one might like.
Some of the best reported numbers come from "unknown sources", ie., someone reportedly ran a 4.19, but nobody seems to know when or where or who supposedly timed it kind of thing...

Anyway, has Samuel Giguere just become the front runner to be the first pick overall?
I could easily see Hamilton being interested in another Canadian receiver, and he kicked butt at the EC.

If not him, I would think U of S's Safety Dylan Barker is a front runner. I know I would want him on my team.

Dylan also performed very well--likely to be the top DB in the draft.
Receivers normally go higher in the draft anyway though so....

Just some clarification on the sprint times.
Allowing a player to start when he wants and having the timer(laser) measure that start, the number eliminates reaction time from the equation.
You get a lower final number--by as much as .2 seconds.
However, when you think about it, I would think reaction time might be an important thing in football.
If a guy runs like he has lead boots on after 20 yards, that isn't good.
But if he has a .1 second reaction time, which is very good, that might be more important than running a 4.3 40....

And the one site I checked it reported that Jerry Rice was only clocked at a turtle like 4.7...
And some other player was quoted as saying, something like, "yes, 4.7 Mon through Sat...but always 4.2 on Sundays..."

Andy Fantuz I believe clocked a snail's pace 4.8 or 4.9.
But I have rarely ever seen a guy that can get open like he does...

I too had always thought that the NFL times were flying starts.

Once one starts doing a little research into this, it seems likely that the CFL times are slower because they are more realistic.

Take a gander at this article:

http://www.usoc.org/11611_32384.htm
The NFL treats 40-yard dash times as sacred Mark Zeigler, STAFF WRITER // April 20, 2005

Copyright 2005 The San Diego Union-Tribune
Visit USA Track & Field

There is no official world record for 40 yards.

The shortest distance that the IAAF, track and field's international governing body, recognizes for world-record purposes is an indoor 50 meters, or about 54 yards. It is 5.56 seconds and it was set by Canadian sprinter Donovan Bailey in 1996. There is also a world record for 60 meters -- 6.39 seconds by American Maurice Greene in 1998.

But it is another Canadian, Ben Johnson, who is believed to have run 40 yards faster than any human in history. Johnson is best known for injecting copious amounts of steroids and winning the 100 meters at the 1988 Olympics in Seoul in 9.79 seconds, only to have his gold medal and world record stripped after failing a post-race drug test.

Timing officials have since broken down that famed race into 10-meter increments, and Johnson was so preposterously fast that he went through 50 meters in 5.52 seconds and 60 meters in 6.37 -- both under the current world records at those distances. He went through 40 yards that day in 4.38 seconds.

He was running in spikes . . . on a warm afternoon perfectly suited for sprinting . . . with a slight tailwind . . . with years of training from arguably track's top coach, Charlie Francis . . . with Carl Lewis and six others of the fastest men on the planet chasing him . . . with 69,000 people roaring at Seoul's Olympic Stadium . . . with hundreds of millions of people watching on TV . . . with the ultimate prize in sports, an Olympic gold medal, at stake.

And, as we learned later, with muscles built with the assistance of the anabolic steroid stanazolol.

Four-point-three-eight seconds.

Then again, maybe Ben Johnson isn't the fastest 40-yard man in the world.

Maybe half the NFL is faster.

good articale arius.

Excellent illustration, and that's exactly what I meant earlier. I don't know if it's a marketing thing or what, but I don't believe the numbers that the NFL posts.

They do televise the event on the NFL Network, but you see the guy run and they show his result. It could be full of crap. Most people can not differentiate a guy running a 4.42 from a 4.32 so you take the result at face value, but...

Do remember the best Canadian football players play south of the boarder. Often, they do not come up here to be tested.

Neat article. Thanks.

Absolutely. Most of the top talent plays south of the border. Even if you tested among current players, more often than not, the top performers would be American OR Canadians who played south of the border. Its just a matter of training and facilities. Most US trained players have access to specialized coaching that has only recently appeared in Canada.

US players also outperform their Canadian counterparts in the bench press as well. (something which is much easier to compete in). Does that mean the NFL uses lighter weights than the CFL does? Of course not.

I always liked the story of the 1990 draft and the Jets passed on a top running back prospect because his 40 time was consistently 4.7-4.8. Instead they took Blair Thomas who was closer to 4.3. The guy they didn't pick Emmett Smith didn't get drafted until the 17th pick by the Cowboys